New user - general unhappiness

Started by dr___j, June 29, 2008, 01:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr___j

New to IceTV.
New Beyonwiz - P1.

Have set it up and got going with IceTV interactive (II).
But things don't seem to work smoothly... ???

• Firstly, Every channel seems to be duplicated on my PVR EPG. Is this normal?
  • Secondly, Initially, the programs I set to watch via II were all recorded at the wrong times. I'm in Adelaide, and initially, the wiz thought that Adelaide was in the +10hrs time zone. Firmware upgrade seems to have fixed this, but some programs still record incorrectly.
  • Thirdly, Not all stations are populated with EPG data - viz Chanel 7 1,2,3,4,etc - and not just channel 7
  • Have had problems with setting record manually from wiz - last night set it to tape Star Trek - all I got was Motor [bike] racing. (I realise this should be on the BYW forum), but my point is this - when this sort of thing happens, either via II or manual set using EPG, the first thing I want to do is check on the EPG to see what might have happened - before I come complaining to Ice or Beyonwiz. Would it be TOO hard to keep historical EPG data available so that we might be able to trouble-shoot ourselves? It occasionally comes in handy when you go to watch a series favorite and find something else. In the UK, I would be able to check up to see whether it was on or had been bumped by a 'one off' like the emmies or similar.
  • Finally, Things I have set to record via II want to record on both SD and HD channels despite me saying 'this channel only'. Is this fixable?

I could probably find the answers if I spent the next two days trawling the two forum sites. I was hoping someone might know the answers to some of these questions or links to GOOD posts for new users.

PS - Could people posting PLEASE use sensible Subject headings that give users an idea what their post is about??
[/list]

tonymy01

You should really get your Wiz going without ICE for a day or two to learn about its behaviours, as the majority of the "issues" you describe there are not to do with ICE.
Ok,
1.  Duplicated channels.   Depends on what you mean by "duplicated".   You may be receiving broadcasts from two towers, and getting 2 of everything, or you may be talking about all those silly extra channels most of the broadcasters send that are just redirects to their main channel.  (e.g 7 Digital, 7 digital 1, 7 digital 2 etc all redirect to the same PIDs as LCN 7).
If it is the 1st issue, I would be having a good look at which ones give you the best signal strength, and delete the others, this is per RF frequency, not per channel number (i.e you can have 4 or 5 channels broadcast by 7 on the one RF channel, keep all these).   The extra digital1/2/etc are "placeholders" for when the networks have different camera angles or whatever.   Ten did this once when digital was launched for Bathurst, but 99.999999999% of the time these are simple redirects to the main SD channel.
So... solution is to create a favourites group, and put the main channels from each broadcaster in the order you so wish into a favourites group.   Make sure you select the favourites group, and then when you channel surf with the up/down key, you will be surfing just the main channels.   I have 2,22,70,7,90,9,1,10,3,33,20 in my faves group to see both SD and HD channels.     The EPG shown when hitting the guide key will then be in the order of your faves group, so no more blank junk.

2. definitely get your clock and timezone setup right, many things depend on this being setup properly.   You will probably need to delete any timers and clear down the ICEGuide cache once you have done this to ensure everything is related to adelaide time.

3.  That is related to 1.

4.  ICEGuide is can sometimes be inaccurate, especially after the silly Nein lawsuits for copyright, and esp when the Networks keep changing their mind what they want to put on on the weekends especially.  The Ten guide for last night was really screwed, as Ten altered their schedule during the week.   Last night had Psych & a completely different movie showing on ICEguide, but Ten put on a 9/11 special (even though last week they were proudly introducing the new Psych series...grrr... I like Psych too).

5.  Dunno about that one.   YOu have to make sure any change you make in iceguide is uploaded to the wiz by waiting a while, if you try to make too many changes at once things get quite messy and out of synch.

REgards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).