Guide times wrong for DST?

Started by BJReplay, October 30, 2005, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJReplay

I've got my various PCs set to observe DST.

For the last few days, I've noticed that the times scheduled in the guide for shows after the changeover to DST were an hour forward - e.g. ABC News that would be at 7pm showed up at 8pm in the guide.

I also noticed that the guide display "knew" about the DST cutover - shows ended at 2am on Sunday morning, but the next show started at 3am.

I figured everything would be OK this morning - but it's not.  Shows that should start at 7:30, show up as starting at 8:30.

If I set my PC clock to not observe DST, (and the time is an hour earlier on my PC), then the times displayed are correct - e.g. a show that should start at 7:30 shows that it will start at 7:30 - but of course when my PC thinks it's 7:30, it's already 8:30.

If I set my PC clock to not observe DST - and set the time to the correct DST time, it's all OK - shows schedule correctly.  The problem with that, of course, is that all the DST aware applications don't work correctly - so appointments with people interstate are all shifted.

I have forgotten exactly how I handled this (if at all) in QuickGuide, and assumed that these shows would show up correctly after DST.  From memory, though, the guide information should be presented as GMT, so MCE adjusts the GMT time to local time.  I think that's the problem now with iceTV (especially since theres a "your time zone" option in your account settings).  iceTV seems to be presenting the guide data in local time rather than GMT.

???

Shane

I've got the same problem and would like a fix ASAP.

Thanks,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Guys,

We are aware of the issue. At the moment it is looking like a problem with the swapover between 2 and 3 am today.

When the guide update is done after the first generation of MCE data tomorrow morning (at 8am), then this issue should go away.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Shane

Just worked out that the HD Guide data seems to be correct - it is just the SD guide data.

My wife is gonna be seriously p%**ed if Mary Bryant doesn't record properly both tonight and tomorrow night because of this :(

Regards,
Shane.
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

pvogel

There doesn't seem to be an elegant fix, although I think it will be correct tomorrow.  There is similar discussion on the xpmediacentre forum wrt other guide importers.  It's to do with the way MCE works and the hour that went missing today- in short MCE does not cope with "holes" in the guide, it assumes that programs always follow on from each other. Hence when the hour got lost today it out the programs in the wrong times even though the data said otherwise.

That could explain why the HD channels seem to be right, there was probably no HD programs around the time of the lost hour.  

We're very sorry we did not pick this up in our testing previously as we could have at least warned customers if not worked around it.

I suggest that for today you record the program that shows in the timeslot that the program you want airs (I think this will be the previous program, won't it?), that way you should get it.

Again, our applogies for any inconvenience caused - we will be doubly alert (but not alarmed) when the Commonwealth Games rolls around.

Peter

BJReplay

QuoteThere doesn't seem to be an elegant fix, although I think it will be correct tomorrow.
Peter, would dropping all "pre changeover" data from the guide fix this - e.g. start the guide data from 3am today?  Then we could force a refresh.

QuoteMCE does not cope with "holes" in the guide, it assumes that programs always follow on from each other.
Alternatively, could you schedule a filler hour from 2am to 3am to push the subsequent data out?

Quote...we will be doubly alert (but not alarmed) when the Commonwealth Games rolls around.
Luckily, for Victoria at least, DST runs through to the end of March this year.  Hmmm, I wonder if Microsoft are aware of that, or if they'll need to issue a DST fix like they did for the 2000 Olympics?

gartonhill

All

This is not good enough. Its broken and it should not be. No excuses. DST is here and MS windows has supported it for yonks. If MCE does not, ICETV should have worked out a workaround - weeks ago! Not their paid subscribers.

My MCE system is set to observe DST and adjusted just fine - just as Windows machines have done for MANY years. But the guide is STILL wrong as I write - 21 hours after the changeover! Saying it will be alright tomorrow is simply not good enough. In the meantime we have all missed CSI and Mary Bryant and somehow I have to explain this to my spouse. How do I trust Ice to schedule programs for the rest of the week???

I am not popular. Frankly I am not that interested in workarounds. This is a paid service and people RELY on it to work. It is not up to us to test this for them! There are certain obligations of a commercial service that do not exist for a free service. ICE have chosen to be commercial so now they have to live up to the expectations of being so. For me I am not interested in discussing how to make THEIR service work. I am more interested in how I will be getting a refund for missing this Sunday night's programs and exactly WHY I am paying so much for this when it is this unrealiable?

Ben

Shane

QuoteWhen the guide update is done after the first generation of MCE data tomorrow morning (at 8am), then this issue should go away.

Daniel,

How long should we wait after 8am for the fixed guide data to be there before I reload my guide data?

It's 8:09am here in Sydney and no sign of fixed data.

Thanks,
Shane.

Shane

OK - It is now 9:17am by my clock in Sydney, and I have just assisted my wife over the phone to update the guide data and it is still wrong.

Anything guys?

Thanks,
Shane.

anthonyc

Just rang technical support and they advised they are working on the problem and hoped they'd have it fixed soon.

amilwain

I just rang Technical support, they are still working on it, this isn't good enough.

I am using a free guide Bladerunner PRO on another MCE and it is working fine, sureley ICE should have tested this before the DST change.......

Daniel Hall at IceTV

This issue is now resolved. We have checked on our test system and the MCE feed is now showing the correct times.

A manual guide fetch performed now should fix the guide times.

Please let us know if you find that is not the case.

Again, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Shane

Yes - all is working now thanks.

Regards,
Shane.