MCE Rollup 2 - Works well with IceTV

Started by Shane, October 17, 2005, 09:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

As alot of you know I was one of the first to jump in to the Emerald update when it was just available for OEM's.

I eventually re-installed my main machine due to issues such as channels disappearing etc.

I can now say that I have done the full install of the Rollup 2 and the Rollup for Rollup 2 (links at the bottom) on my test and main machine, and everything is running well.
  • No channels have disappeared
  • HD channels working fine and in sync
  • IceTV guide data working well (for both SD and HD channels)
In my main machine I am using:
Two DVICO Fusion HDTV Lite cards (3.1.1 beta), an nVidia 6600 (78.03), nVidia Decoder (for DVD's only), DVICO HD Decoder for Television (comes with the latest DVICO drivers), onboard audio via SPDIF (HP m1199a).

In my Test machine is:
DVICO FusionHDTV USB (3.1.1 beta), nVidia 6800 GT (78.03), nVidia Decoder (for DVD's only), DVICO HD Decoder for Television (comes with the latest DVICO drivers), onboard audio via SPDIF (Asus P4C800-E).

When I installed on my main machine, I had to go into the "Scan for More Services" and delete all channels, then reboot the system. A channel scan then brought everything up including the D44's and FTVGuide.

I have had intermittent "No signal" messages on Ten HD, but this has only happened twice and is fixed by CH+ then CH-. It also doesn't seem to effect recording so far.

BTW, neither of these were "fresh installs" - the main PC install is about 2.5 weeks old, the test machine never got downgraded from the original OEM Rollup 2 - I just applied the Rollup 2 Rollup (I just love writing that).

Hope this helps anyone with similar hardware.

Now as for the HD channels, some feedback/requests:
1. I would definately like to have "HD" or similar appended to items on the HD channel - it would make it easier to see what I have recorded is in HD, as well as ensure that "series recording" is choosing the right channel (especially when set to "Any Channel" in the settings).

2. Is there any way to remove the MCE HD flag (ie the data that makes MCE display the HD icon) for the data on the SD channel? Now that we have HD channel data we don't really need this (nor is the SD channel actually showing the HD program, so it is in fact incorrect).

3. Can you change "Unknown" to say something like "No HD programming at this time" or similar? Whilst I know unknown means that, it would make the new or occasional user experience far better.

4. Last minute update - can you copy the standard Channel 10 data to the Ten HD channel data, as Channel Ten seem to play everything on the HD channel (SD and HD content), and any shows that are HD are shown as HD. This is where the MCE HD Flag makes alot of sense.

Otherwise I think it is fantastic... helps to zero in on the HD content... Here's hoping the networks start to fill that "Unknown" space up with more content in the near future!

Thanks,
Shane.

Rollup 2 for MCE 2005 (and the patch for it - available after installing Rollup 2 and rebooting) can be downloaded from Windows Update, or you can get the files directly by going to these Microsoft Download sites:
Rollup 2 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e5daf37e-e243-4410-bc51-81cf2b56fe6e&DisplayLang=en

Rollup for Rollup 2 - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94aa50ce-f823-49e2-8d1a-29ab74785aca&DisplayLang=en
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

Shane

Ice Team,

Just wondering if there is anything being done based on my suggestions below (or not)?

1. I would definately like to have "HD" or similar appended to items on the HD channel - it would make it easier to see what I have recorded is in HD, as well as ensure that "series recording" is choosing the right channel (especially when set to "Any Channel" in the settings).

2. Is there any way to remove the MCE HD flag (ie the data that makes MCE display the HD icon) for the data on the SD channel? Now that we have HD channel data we don't really need this (nor is the SD channel actually showing the HD program, so it is in fact incorrect).

3. Can you change "Unknown" to say something like "No HD programming at this time" or similar? Whilst I know unknown means that, it would make the new or occasional user experience far better.

4. Last minute update - can you copy the standard Channel 10 data to the Ten HD channel data, as Channel Ten seem to play everything on the HD channel (SD and HD content), and any shows that are HD are shown as HD. This is where the MCE HD Flag makes alot of sense.

Thanks,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

anthonyc

I personally don't like suggestion 1.  If you want a series to only record on a HD channel, then you can set that setting.  But I believe this is still an issue with the guide data - refer my other post where series don't pick up for a single channel only - any idea when this will be fixed.

I do however like suggestions 2 & 3.

Cheers
Anthony