Why the odd start times

Started by planeguy, January 12, 2008, 01:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planeguy

Fairly new to this ICETV thing, but one thing I am noticing, and its rather annoying is ICETV's habit of having the progam start at 17:01, or 20:32. For programs that actually do start on time, this is rather annoying.

Now, I am in Canberra, so don't know if it is all over, but;

Having a look, it seems like on Prime that the daytime shows are listed to start at 1 minute after the hour.
Tonigt on SBS the shows are listed to start at 2 minutes after the half hour. From experience (prePVR days) I recall that Iron Chef starts at the latest on time. This means that the PVR will miss at least the first two minutes of the show.
Yesterday, I missed the first approx five minutes of a show on ABC. Given that the TAP for the Topfield 5000 doesn't apparently pad the front of the show, this is a critical flaw.

Jason W

Here on the Gold Coast it's showing as "Sat, Jan 12, 20:30 to 21:20 (50 mins)" on my PVR (MythTV). Guide data for Prime looks fine as well.

If there is a problem with IceTV, it's certainly not showing here.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

This is actually a Topfield thing, it's due to the way it handles timezones when in "Manual" time mode.

What is happening is that the timezone is calculated as being the difference between the current local time and the broadcasters UTC time that is sent over the digital signal. If the difference is say 10 hours and 1 minute (if you are in a +10 timezone) then everything in the guide will be out by 1 minute.

There are two options to fix this, the first being to use "Auto" time mode, but there are other issues that arise then. The best way would be to use a TAP called JustEPG that is a total re-write of the EPG screen on the Topfield and takes into account the proper timezone, the latest version of JustEPG can be found at http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9266.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

planeguy

Thanks Guys. Will give the new EPG a burl.

A suggestion for the IceTV crew, perhaps add this Toppy quirk into the setup guide, or the FAQ page?

Gary

Another option (not mutually exclusive) is to have a look at the EPG Uploader TAP, which maintains accurate time on manual and fixes the odd minute effect, and even better in concert with TED/S for creating timers automatically.

Have a look at the Topfield forum for all the details

http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/phpbb2/index.php