Error getting device list from ICETV Server

Started by redmist, December 23, 2007, 11:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel Roden

O.K. All is well. After a period of 10-15 minutes after install an a few reboots, it this error seems to have rectified itself. I have had no problems today. Could someone give me an idiots guide to what caused this error through tpg?
Thanks to all for the help!

Cheers,
Nigel :)

avickery

Hi All

I'm also getting this error message, and I'm also with TPG.
I've just downloaded and installed the IceTV Interactive software (build 2.0.0.16).
Do I just wait a while, or do I contact TPG? If the latter, what do I ask them to do?

Thanks in advance

Andy
Melbourne

ezpz

Daniel Hall at IceTV

The problem does appear to be TPG specific at this stage.

What is happening is that when the IceTV Interactive client starts up it downloads the latest device list from the IceTV server. The full URL for this list is:

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/epg/webpimpdevices.cgi?op=get_devices&format=plist

This list is in an XML format, most times when an XML file is read by a program it doesn't need to use the DTD file for the XML file (the DTD file contains the information that describes what data can be in the XML file), but it seems that in this instance the DTD file is needed. The particular format of XML is called the "plist" format that was developed by Apple, with the DTD file then being kept on their server at the URL:

http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd

The error message being received points to a problem in accessing this DTD file from Apple's server.

The best course of action would be contact TPG and ask them to exclude the above two addresses from their transparent proxy so we can see if that fixes the issue.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

jollster101

Excellent.  Thanks for the info Daniel.

Unfortunately I am not with TPG but am with AANet and I get the same problem.

So, my question is does your solution stand as it is obviously affecting not just one ISP?

Aquaholic

I am also with aaNet and have the same problem.

I had uninstalled ICETV and reinstalled but cant save my settings as I cant select a device

I can access both the web addresses from Internet explorer and I have disabled the firewall but IceTV still throws the error

jgriffin

Funny, both TPG and aaNet use transparent proxies.. I know TPG uses squid, i'd assume a cheapie provide like aaNet would use it too.

Aquaholic

Thanks

So if this is to do with aaNets transparent proxie how do we get this problem fixed?

Daniel Hall at IceTV

I have been doing some research and it looks like AANET also have a transparent proxy similar to TPG's, so it sounds like the same issue is affecting both ISP's.

To confirm nothing has changed in at least the past 18 months on IceTV's end regarding IceTV Interactive or the way it downloads the device list.

It would be interesting to know which proxy software is in use (I have just confirmed that TPG is using squid, but I do not know the current version) as one of the more popular open source projects (squid) has just released a new stable version (version 3.0) on the 15/12/2007, and the first report we had from a TPG customer was on the 23/12/2007. The question of course is whether TPG (and later AANET) have updated to this proxy version and whether or not this update has caused the issue.

More information on identifying proxy issues (and also the proxy version) can be found on the TPG forum at http://www.tpg.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2188 (the majority of this would also apply for AANET as well).

This needs to be taken up with both TPG and AANET so it can be investigated, the URL's listed in my post above are the only two that are being accessed for the device list.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Aquaholic

Thanks Daniel.

I will get in contact with aaNet and let you know what the outcome is.

Why does icetv need to contact the server to check for a updated device list?
Couldnt this be a local file that is downloaded or even hard coded in?

Daniel Hall at IceTV

The device list is unique to each persons account, and can be changed at any time, it is the list of devices that are setup under the "Options" tab of IceTV Remote. It's the names and device ID's that are needed to setup IceTV Interactive.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

moocow

i too am having the same problem and am with AANET. :(

fatboy

I'm new to the IceTV service but I am also getting a very similar error regarding unable to download device list :(

I am with Bigpond so am wondering if the ISP has anything to do with it ???? (me thinks not given there are now 3 different ISP's all with similar symptoms ... the odds are certainly stacking up to say the least.).

Have there been any changes on the IceTV service front???

jgriffin

This whole problem could go away if ICE just cached the DTD info..

A read for your developers
http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic