DP-P1 and IceBox 1

Started by injidup, August 21, 2007, 03:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

injidup

Does anyone know if the oricinal Netgear IceBox will work with the new Beyonwiz DP-P1 ??
Thinking of upgrading my Topfield and don't need the DVD player of the DP-S1.

AndrewT

You won't need it at all.The DP-P1 has the IceGuide integrated and all you need to do is connect the Ethernet cable you are using on your IceBox 1 into the back of the unit.Your IceBox 1 can be retired as a door stop.   

Make sure though you upgrade your DP - P1 with the latest firmware - very easy to do.

I have recently acquired one of these units myself and highly recommend it as an alternative to the Topfield.Like yourself,I did not need the DVD player or wireless connection and this unit is very impressive.

injidup

Thanks, Andrew, but I don't have ethernet in my lounge, hence the question about a wireless solution!

AndrewT

Something like the D-Link High-Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) 108Mbps* Client Adapter http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=18&Sub2=82&PID=216 should work in conjunction with the Beyonwiz

Paul55

I think the question was more along the lines of 'will the IceBox1 act as a wireless bridge with the DP-P1?"
Along the same lines, my question is - will the IceBox2 act as a wireless bridge for the DP-P1???

peteru

Quote from: Paul55 on September 08, 2007, 10:57:14 AM
I think the question was more along the lines of 'will the IceBox1 act as a wireless bridge with the DP-P1?"

Not with the IceBox1 firmware. I would suggest that adventurous users may want to install OpenWRT on the device, if they do not wish to use it as an IceBox anymore.

QuoteAlong the same lines, my question is - will the IceBox2 act as a wireless bridge for the DP-P1???

Yes, no problems. I have one that acts as an IceGuide feed for a TF5000 and also a wireless bridge for Xbox, Beyonwiz and two other PVRs.

injidup

What I wanted to know (Maybe I didn't make it clear!) is this:

I have a Netgear IceBox 1 that works quite nicely putting the IceGuide EPG onto my Topfield TF5000 every day.
Will it (without modification) do that same thing when plugged in to a Beyonwiz DP-P1?

Anyone from Ice read these forums??  ;)

peteru

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: peteru on September 11, 2007, 10:47:26 PM
No.

Just to expand on this, we do read the forums, but the icebox1 cannot be used as a bridge (only the icebox2 has the ability to be a bridge).
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

bp3

Quote from: Daniel Hall on September 12, 2007, 09:41:05 AM
Quote from: peteru on September 11, 2007, 10:47:26 PM
No.

Just to expand on this, we do read the forums, but the icebox1 cannot be used as a bridge (only the icebox2 has the ability to be a bridge).

Daniel,

I have an IceBox 2 I used with a Topfield.  Although I have an ethernet connection between my PC and Beyonwiz P1, I would like to be able to use the Icebox with my P1 for wireless connection at some time if possibble.  Can I use the Icebox 2 as supplied from IceTV or do I need to load the original Assus firmware to use the box as a wireless bridge with the P1.

peteru

Yes you can.

Be aware that the IceBox2 will attempt to retrieve the EPG data and upload it to the Topfield on a regular basis. If it fails, it'll keep on retrying for a while, however there is a "feature" (which I objected to), where the IceBox2 will reboot if it can not upload the EPG data to the Topfield after a number of retries. This can result in a very annoying behaviour where the IceBox2 appears to drop out several times a day.

I currently use an IceBox2 as a wireless bridge for a Beyonwiz and have disabled the Ice guide daemon that performs the fetches and causes the reboots.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Of course the other option is to turn off the fetching of the guide by de-selecting all the days on the "IceGuide Settings" page, if you then save the settings it will no longer try and fetch the guide (and it will not reboot either).
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.