Main Menu

Remote Control

Started by johnmw1, March 29, 2024, 03:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmw1

Hi,

Having just set up the IceBox, I noticed that the remote will not operate from my chair, which is 4 or 5 metres away. Is this normal, or have I missed something?

Currently, I have it placed on my TV cabinet, just while I play around and get used to it, but my old Wiz is in the cabinet and much lower so perhaps it receives a stronger signal. I have not peeled off the top layer of plastic yet either.

Also, from where can you see what firmware is installed, as I have not found that yet?

Cheers,
John

MD

Hi have you plugged its little wifi dongle into one of the two usb sockets on the left of the IceBox?  When new the dongle is sent inside the remote's battery compartment (as described in the setup & user guide under Help on our website). If you have try new batteries as its range should be up to 10m.

For firmware as I said last post when the icebox is booting up it is shown on the top left of the TV screen and should be 1.11.6.

If not this forum link, if you scroll down within it, has the way to update it manually.  Once updated to 1.11.6 all future update will download in the background and just need a reboot to install. https://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=7919.45

MD

Hi John,

Now you connected to IceTV I can see you have the old development firmware. Use the link on my previous post to update to our latest stable release with built in ad skip.

johnmw1

Hi,

Yes, the little dongle is inserted, so I shall try some new batteries.

I will attempt to update it manually with your link.

I'm having another issue at the moment where my signal from the IceBox to the TV keeps dropping out, and then I can't seem to be able to reconnect without doing a power down and reboot. At this stage, I'm not sure if this happens when I turn the TV off, and turn it on again later on.

Again I thankyou MD, your service is above and beyond.

Cheers,
John

PS, I won't get near the IceBox for a couple of days as I'm working the rest of Easter and beyond.

johnmw1

An update.

I have changed the batteries in the remote which seems to have helped the issue, but only if I have the box turned sideways with the dongles pointing towards me.

I'm having another minor hiccup with the remote where it somehow gets caught in a loop and continually scrolls through multiple menus at rapid speed until I manage to get the remote to respond and stop the cycling.

Lastly, I'm still having this issue where when I turn off my TV (Hisense) leave the Icebox turned on, and go back later to view more TV, the connection between them is lost and I have to reboot the Icebox to reconnect. It has still picked up my recordings, but I have just lost the connection.

I have looked through the settings on both, and as far as I can tell everything is set as it should be. I don't lose this connection with Fox etc when I turn the TV off.

Cheers,
John

MD

Hi John,

Did you buy this IceBox via IceTV as I can't see the purchase in your account.

The remote has a maximum range of 10m although that's probably in perfect line of sight conditions and I'd suggest 5-6m would be more realistic.

I'll pass on the question regarding the IceBox switching off to our CTO.

johnmw1

Quote from: MD on April 04, 2024, 01:25:49 PMDid you buy this IceBox via IceTV as I can't see the purchase in your account

Hi,

From memory his name was Tony.

I purchased it from here https://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=7749.0

Cheers,
John

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: johnmw1 on April 04, 2024, 12:37:03 PMLastly, I'm still having this issue where when I turn off my TV (Hisense) leave the Icebox turned on, and go back later to view more TV, the connection between them is lost and I have to reboot the Icebox to reconnect. It has still picked up my recordings, but I have just lost the connection.

I have looked through the settings on both, and as far as I can tell everything is set as it should be. I don't lose this connection with Fox etc when I turn the TV off.

Does this happen every time that you swap the IceBox?

It sounds like for some reason the HDMI connection is not being re-established when you switch to the input that the IceBox is connected to. I have seen this once or twice now with my test units (more so when using a HDMI switch in the middle). If you swap off the input and then back to the IceBox input it should just show up.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

MD

Hi John,

We'll send you a replacement remote control as your sounds as if it is failing. Unfortunately it may not go out via AusPost until Monday.

johnmw1

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 04, 2024, 01:45:44 PMDoes this happen every time that you swap the IceBox?

Hi Daniel,

Yes, it does. This is the same connection I was using for my old Wiz up until a week or so ago. The only thing that has changed is the HDMI cable which I swapped out with the cable that came with the Icebox. Perhaps that is the problem and it somehow drops out for some reason. I shall play around and swap around some cables sometime tomorrow.

Cheers,
John

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: johnmw1 on April 04, 2024, 02:05:12 PM
Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 04, 2024, 01:45:44 PMDoes this happen every time that you swap the IceBox?

Hi Daniel,

Yes, it does. This is the same connection I was using for my old Wiz up until a week or so ago. The only thing that has changed is the HDMI cable which I swapped out with the cable that came with the Icebox. Perhaps that is the problem and it somehow drops out for some reason. I shall play around and swap around some cables sometime tomorrow.

Cheers,
John

It's definitely worth trying a different cable, also if you have a 4K TV have you tried changing the Resolution back to 1080p as this will give a smoother experience and might help with this issue as well.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: MD on April 04, 2024, 01:49:00 PMUnfortunately it may not go out via AusPost until Monday.
Plugging in a spare USB keyboard into the IceBox could be a workaround until the new RCU arrives.

johnmw1

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on April 04, 2024, 03:25:36 PMPlugging in a spare USB keyboard into the IceBox could be a workaround until the new RCU arrives.

Thanks for that suggestion, the idea appeals to me for sure, but I can already hear the wife's comments even before she says them aloud. But I might just test the waters regardless.

Cheers,
John

IanL-S

It would be helpful if the USB Keyboards also had a trackball or mouse. On a BYOB I have a Logitech USB Keyboard + Mouse. I have also used another Logitech Keyboard with trackpad - in each case the connection to the BYOB was "wireless". Wireless is OK, but non-wireless is definitely not wife-friendly!
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

johnmw1

Quote from: IanL-S on April 05, 2024, 01:29:53 PMWireless is OK, but non-wireless is definitely not wife-friendly!

I'm not so sure anything including me is wife-friendly these days. :-)

Cheers,
John