Cannot install latest update

Started by Phil-F, March 25, 2024, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil-F

I am having all sorts of issues trying to copy the latest update file onto my Icetv Box. I can see my Icetv Box in windows explorer but cannot access it. I also tried connecting through the icebox ip address through the windows Run box in administrator mode. Still no success. I am running windows 10. I have enabled SMB in windows. If I do a soft reset would that install the latest update?
Phil

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Phil,

When attempting to connect via the Run box do you get an error message?

Via windows explorer do you see any folders on the IceBox at all?

As you don't already have 1.11.3 on the IceBox the update does need to be manually copied to the IceBox.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

IanL-S

Could it be a hidden directory problem? The update folder is, if I recall a hidden directory (.update). If I recall correctly, in early builds you had to expressly select show hidden folders un SMB/KODI setting. However that may have been during pre-release beta testing.

I always found Windows 10 to be messy when it come to SMB connections; Windows 11 is somewhat more reliable.

You could try transferring it by sftp (ftp is not supported); the .update directory is a subdirectory of the storage directory. You will have to enable SSH in IceBox settings. User name is "root".
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Phil-F

Hi Daniel,
Below are the error messages I get when trying to connect by the RUN box and WINDOWS EXPLORER.

I saw a message from DMC,
I am going to try this method
It says,
"You could try to copy via a USB flash drive.  However, the file needs to go into '/storage/.update' and in Linux files/directories starting with '.' are hidden by default so you can't see them from the Kodi file manager without some extra steps.

Try: Settings -> Media -> General -> Show hidden files and directories.

Then: Settings -> File manager -> Add source -> Browse -> Home folder -> .update -> OK -> OK.

Now in the file manager, navigate to '.update' on one side and then your USB Drive on the other.

Select the file, open the context menu (the button under mute on the ICE RCU), select 'Copy' and then confirm.

To be on the safe side, I'd undo the 'Show hidden files' step once the file manager source has been created.

NOTE: I have not tested this to see if the IceBox will actually perform the update from here.
MORE..."

raymondjpg

Quote from: Phil-F on March 26, 2024, 03:08:38 PMNOTE: I have not tested this to see if the IceBox will actually perform the update from here.
I just took a look and it should work.

Easier to do it via Windows File Explorer. Unless you are actually being managed by some system administrator it looks like you may have fallen foul of fairly recent changes in SMB. If that is the case then the steps outlined in https://www.thewindowsclub.com/cant-access-shared-folder-because-of-organizations-security-policies may get you up and running. The Group Policy Editor is the preferred route, but if you have a Windows edition that doesn't sport the Group Policy Editor then editing the registry will do the job. Usual precautionary steps when using regedit apply.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Daniel Hall at IceTV

As an update, putting the file into '/storage/.update' will absolutely work, but as has been said the option to enable hidden files and folders must be enabled first (and for this you will need to have the settings level set to 'Expert' to see that setting).

In terms of unauthenticated guest network access I can see at some point that Windows 10 Enterprise and Education were changed to default to have that setting set to disallow, but Home and Pro should still allow it without issues.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Phil-F

Hi Daniel,
I am using Windows 10 Enterprise.

I tried DMC's method and everything looks to be working perfectly.

Many thanks
Phil

DeltaMikeCharlie

I wonder if it is related to the SMB version.
smbver.png

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: Phil-F on March 26, 2024, 04:13:46 PMHi Daniel,
I am using Windows 10 Enterprise.

I tried DMC's method and everything looks to be working perfectly.

Many thanks
Phil

Yes, that explains it, Windows 10 Enterprise had it's default changed. That one is one Microsoft, if you want to connect to the IceBox there are options to set a password on the IceBox under "LibreELEC" and then under "Services", under the "Samba" settings.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.