Main Menu

Noobie Questions

Started by letherm, January 13, 2024, 11:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

letherm

I moved to Icebox after my Beyonwiz T4 died recently.

1. When I press the power button there are a number of options.  What I'm trying to do is put the Icebox into a  standby mode like I could with the Beyonwiz which would still allow timer recording.  Is this possible or is it normal to leave it powered on.  I raised another thread about a buzzing noise and explained there that the Icebox and tuners seems to run quite warm.  The Power off system option turns it off and I have to remove and reconnect the power supply to restart so I presume timer recordings won't work. I'm not sure what the Suspend option or Custom shutdown timer do precisely. Reboot is of course obvious.

2. I notice a delay with a spinning circle of dots when switching from one mode to another e.g. from watching TV to moving to a recording.  Is this normal too?  The Beyonwiz was pretty much instantaneous.

3.  Will the Icebox delete watched recordings automatically?  I can see on the recordings display that it shows what hasn't been watched for each program as a number out of total recordings e.g. 1/3. Is there a place where I can set the retention times?  I have looked through the various menus but didn't see anything.

Martin

IanL-S

I suspect that suspend is the option you are looking for. I never put my Beyonwiz or Toppys into standby, and the same with my IceBox - the power used is legible (even when time shift is enabled).

In the recordings list, select a folder, and click on the options button, and one option is to deleted recordings that you have watched.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

vader1111

#1 - The power menu does have a "Suspend" option, however I do not recommend using it.  When I tried it during the early beta testing, I found that there was no way of waking the device from "Suspend" mode, other than pressing the power button on the IceBox.  The IceBox does not respond to the remote control when it is in "Suspend" mode.  In any case, the power used by the IceBox is fairly minimal.

#3 - No, it does not delete watched recordings automatically.  You need to delete them manually - either through the Kodi interface or the TVHeadend web interface.  Recordings are retained indefinitely, until the user deletes them.

MD

Deletion is easy via the remote menu button, second down from top on the right. No need to scroll down, go up and it pops to the bottom delete choices.

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on January 14, 2024, 03:10:59 PMI never put my Beyonwiz or Toppys into standby, and the same with my IceBox - the power used is legible (even when time shift is enabled).
From what I have read here IceBox needs to be kept active i.e. not on standby, in order to pick up timers and to record programs, however I am not sure about the advisability of not putting Beyonwiz or Topfield PVRs into standby. To my recollection all of the Topfield and Beyonwiz PVRs that I have owned were capable of picking up timers and recording when on standby, and I have always felt that the hardware might last a little longer if not left in the active state when not watching live TV.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

letherm

Thanks for the help everyone. 

Deletions sorted. :)

Doesn't look as though you can put the Icebox into standby mode.  Not a power issue but rather the unit seems quite warm so i wanted to give it a break.

2. I notice a delay with a spinning circle of dots when switching from one mode to another e.g. from watching TV to moving to a recording.  Is this normal too?  The Beyonwiz was pretty much instantaneous.

Anyone know about item 2?

Regards,
Martin

IanL-S

I am inclined to the view that the behavior of the various power modes depends on the power options in the BIOS - the IceTV IceBox power settings are sparce and do not appear to support wake from sleep. Neither does my BYOB which has an Intel BIOS.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help