Cannot Access Ice TV

Started by AJFC, September 02, 2023, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFC

While watching a recorded program on Ice TV the screen went grey, although the program continued.  The control unit did not function so I could not change program or go back or stop.  I then removed the power source, waited and then reconnected.  The Ice TV logo came on OK but the next screen (attached) I had not seen before and am not skilled to understand what I am supposed to do.  Can someone help please.
TonyTV screen shot.JPG

IanL-S

The screenshot is rather blurred. It looks like on reboot the IceBox has gone into UEFI/BIOS. As I understand it, this is a symptom of the SSD going into read-only mode (IceTV will shortly be replacing the SSD on all of the IceBox units they have sold).

I have never had it happen like this, but my understanding is that the first thing to do is to turn the Ice Box off and unplug it. Leave it unplugged over night and try again in the morning. Hopefully it will then startup as it should.

Ian

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

AJFC

Thanks IanL-S, already tried that but will do so again this evening.  How shortly will Ice TV be replacing the SSD as I am now without any access to recordings etc.  It is only about six month old.  How do I contact Ice TV?

Ian_AW

G'day,

A while back I had a similar thing happen. It is something like the BIOS settings screen, only you cannot retire the screen. I left on overnight and no change so ended up powering off at the wall and then powering back up. It loaded PK, and I have not had it happen again.

I will say that I am lucky to get mine to work for more than 24 hours and when I restart it I get the write errors needing a further restart.

AJFC

I have left Ice Box disconnected from power overnight - no change! I am attaching a larger screen shot in the hope that might help.   Has anyone any ideas please?TV screen shot.JPG

IanL-S

Thanks for the new image. What do you see when you move to the Boot Tab? - it should indicate the device that the IceBox is booting from. What device is shown.

My IceBox has an earlier firmware than yours (it is a pre-release beta-testing unit which is physically different which complicates matters).
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

AJFC

Here is a screenshot of the BOOT tab.  TV scrren Shot BOOT.JPG

IanL-S

The boot order is as one would expect. Unfortunately I cannot offer any further assistance.

It is probably best if you create a support request, as MD and the team are best placed to assist you.

If it happened to me, I would just replace the SSD; I have few spare ones on the shelf, or a 1 TB AV 2.5" HDD. But for the vast majority of people this is not an option.

Ian
Synology NAS

MD

The only question we have regarding using an HDD is heat as the box is designed for the much cooler SSD

AJFC

I have submitted a support request so will await a response.
Thank you for your assistance.
Tonny

MD

I have replied, with a PM via this forum and via the support ticket, both about two hours ago?

AJFC

I have received the emails but they only refer me back to the comments in this forum.  I do not understand SSD OR HDD - all I know is that my Ice Box no longer works and no-one is giving me an answer on how to make it work or to replace the defective product.
Tony

MD

The problem you have, shared with most users of the new IceBox, is that its hard drive is faulty. It is knows as a Solid State Drive, hence "SSD".

Unfortunately it took IceTV some time via many test procedures to determine that the SSD was the cause of the failure that you see. 

Consequently IceTV will replace everyone's SSD with new ones, chosen in light of this experience to be properly suited to the unusual usage patterns unique to TV recording compared to an SSD in a standard PC.

I explained in my reply to you the choices customers have as to how they may have the drive replaced in one of three ways best suited to their preference. IceTV is painfully aware that their experience to date has been a poor one but we are doing our best to move forward with a proper solution.

IanL-S

Quote from: MD on September 03, 2023, 05:10:42 PMThe only question we have regarding using an HDD is heat as the box is designed for the much cooler SSD

With mechanical drive there is more heat so I place a 120mm USB fan on the top which keeps thing nice and cool. I use them on my Beyonwiz and Toppys. If it is temporary measure, you could leave to top off to aid ventilation.
Synology NAS

AJFC

Thank you Ian for your help, I have requested a replacement or refund.