Main Menu

IceBox Roadmap

Started by DeltaMikeCharlie, July 19, 2023, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaMikeCharlie

I was wondering if IceTV could issue us with a bit of a roadmap.

• What bugs/issues are being tracked and what are the current statuses?
  • What new features are being considered/under development?
  • When is the next release of the Kodi addon expected and what updates will it contain?

Stuff like that.

MD

1 Sort out the SSD issues with the manufacturer which are ongoing

2 Bug and feature fixes such as redesign of setup so all IceTV UI/UX, channel rescans without reset, genres, timer issues, timshifting (chase play), subtitles, parental controls, and more...

3 The one you've been waiting for - enable advert skipping

4 Complete rewrite of the iPhone app code due soon.

But as the timelines for 1 & 2 are still unresolved 4 is as far as I'm prepared to forecast

DeltaMikeCharlie

Hati

Yep, thanks for the update and thanks for asking the question in the first place. Makes me feel a lot better about the future with the IceBox.

IanL-S

MD, is there any chance of getting the OEM for the IceBox to update the BIOS/UEFI to support wake on keyboard and wake on network - assuming that the hardware supports such functions. If so, it may be possible to use the RCU to boot up the IceBox. May depend on the chipset.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

MD

I'll leave Dan to answer that question:)

srto2

Quote from: IanL-S on July 22, 2023, 09:19:36 AMIf so, it may be possible to use the RCU to boot up the IceBox. May depend on the chipset.
For what it's worth, my BYOB (Lenovo Mini/Intel) wakes up with USB keyboard, wireless or plugged in, with the "s" key or the "spacebar".  When running, the "s" key brings up the power options menu.

But if the box is already running... the spacebar becomes a pause key and pops up the timeshift bar..

Using a Flirc IR-USB dongle, I initially incorporated wakeup and shutdown into a Harmony RCU by sending "spacebar" to wake up and "s+enter" to suspend, provided that the last thing you did with the power options menu was "suspend".  But because you can't always guarantee the power state of the Icebox, the results are obviously hit and miss, so I deleted the power on-off sequences.  And I'm currently leaving my Icebox running except when it seems OK to suspend manually. 

The Harmony RCU satisfactorily controls most of the Icebox functions and doesn't suffer from the contact bounce that my Ice RCU does. And I'm comfortable with the system overall.  Most of the time...

So my ask for the roadmap revolves around RCU standardisation (to allow IR and RF) and more sensible (normal?) power functions.  Not necessarily in that order!

DeltaMikeCharlie

Can we please have a status update on upcoming releases, time-frames and features?

MD

Many bugs fixed, closed captions fixed, auto ad-skipping enabled, this and future updates auto-download and just needs a reboot to install, updates keep all user settings.

This release being tested by our tester team right now and release is imminent - early next week at worst.

DeltaMikeCharlie

IanV

With regard to the Roadmap, Item 4 is a rewrite of the iPhone app.  When doing this, can you modify it to operate full screen on an iPad, please?  My wife decides what to record and she finds the current interface too small and "fiddly"

Ian

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: IanV on April 23, 2024, 12:58:17 PMWith regard to the Roadmap, Item 4 is a rewrite of the iPhone app.  When doing this, can you modify it to operate full screen on an iPad, please?  My wife decides what to record and she finds the current interface too small and "fiddly"

Ian

I can safely say you will be happy with the update, which should be out quite soon.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

MD

Hi Ian,

Yes the imminent release update of the iPhone app will also work properly full size on an iPad. The app looks the same as the current one but its underlying software has been completely rewritten in the latest Apple code base.

IanV

Thanks, great news.  I see the new firmware has just been released.  Has the Ios App been updated yet?

Ian