Currently available IceTV-enabled PVRs

Started by mingus, June 06, 2022, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Hi bodogbodog, you are now on the list.  Many thanks:)

vader1111

Quote from: MD on June 28, 2022, 01:10:35 PMHi Ian,  yes I have you on the list with Barista and Vader
While I am definitely keen to buy one of these units when they become available, I'm not sure I'd make a good "beta tester".  My TV watching habits are a far cry from what most people do...

I very rarely watch "live" TV.  Most of the time I record the programs using my (IceTV enabled) PVR, I then copy the recording across to my desktop PC, where I use "VideoRedo TVSuite" to edit out the ads.  I then watch the edited versions using a media player (NVidia Shield).  My Beyonwiz frequently goes for weeks on end without ever moving out of standby mode.

I'm well aware that this extreme advertisement avoidance strategy is bordering on OCD behaviour, and very few (if any) other people would go to these extremes.

I leave it to your judgement as to whether or not you think I'd be a good beta tester, or just a good customer/consumer.

IanL-S

Quote from: vader1111 on July 01, 2022, 09:47:58 AM
Quote from: MD on June 28, 2022, 01:10:35 PMHi Ian,  yes I have you on the list with Barista and Vader
I leave it to your judgement as to whether or not you think I'd be a good beta tester, or just a good customer/consumer.

I do much the same; however I do use IceTV to schedule the recordings in the first place, which is one important aspect. I tend to watch the edited recordings on my Toppys rather than one of the Beyonwiz (which uses Enigma2); when I watch in a Beyonwiz it is on my U4.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: vader1111 on July 01, 2022, 09:47:58 AMI very rarely watch "live" TV.  Most of the time I record the programs using my (IceTV enabled) PVR, I then copy the recording across to my desktop PC, where I use "VideoRedo TVSuite" to edit out the ads.  I then watch the edited versions using a media player (NVidia Shield).  My Beyonwiz frequently goes for weeks on end without ever moving out of standby mode.
Same here. I don't think you are alone as you think.

An Ice-enabled app for PC would suit your and my requirements to a T!

Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

vader1111

Quote from: raymondjpg on July 01, 2022, 02:03:51 PM
Quote from: vader1111 on July 01, 2022, 09:47:58 AMI very rarely watch "live" TV.  Most of the time I record the programs using my (IceTV enabled) PVR, I then copy the recording across to my desktop PC, where I use "VideoRedo TVSuite" to edit out the ads.  I then watch the edited versions using a media player (NVidia Shield).  My Beyonwiz frequently goes for weeks on end without ever moving out of standby mode.
Same here. I don't think you are alone as you think.

An Ice-enabled app for PC would suit your and my requirements to a T!

I may not be alone... but I think we are both members of a very small & exclusive club of pathological OCD advertising dodgers.

NBOSTI

I too am interested in what tuners would be supported.
Same as raymondjpg & vader111, I record, edit (using built in EyeTV capabilities) and save for later viewing. Hours upon hours saved,..when will I get the time?
I currently run two EyeTV  Diversity sticks on an older iMac running Snow Leopard ( the last OS to be able to run the last stable release of EyeTV when still owned by Elgato).
I know Hauppage and Homerun tuners were supported then.
I edit recordings on that  and then move them to a Mac mini (running the same older OS, Snow Leopard) connected to my TV via HDMI.
I can watch recordings via Front Row (older OS feature) using a plug-in (Pye-TV). All with the Apple remote.
Able to delete, fast forward, pause, etc... all that is expected. Not for everyone, but suits me.
I can also watch the recordings using Infuse on my Apple TV. Native support if purchased and up to date.
I have copped a bit of flak in the past about using EyeTV, mainly that my "fetch"  schedule shows that I don't do any. Not going to get into that, I am very happy with it.
The Eye TV sticks came with 2 installation discs (now downloadable for free, as older versions, well the Mac one is), 1 being to run compatible software on Windows.
My question is, what specific tuners will work on this?
A raspberry Pi or similar might be an alternative to the Mini if my sticks are compatible, giving me another OS to have at hand.
Await the beta testing and what the final product will offer.

MD

We'll be using Hauppage dual USB tuners (there isn't room inside a miniPC for a tuner cards let alone the prohibitive cost of special hardware and enclosure orders). They will have internal 1TB HDDs.

IanL-S

I had assumed that tuners would be USB only. Will the Enigma2 version you are using support other USB tuners? Out of interest, what "version" of Enigma2 are you using?

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

MD

The E2 boxes are an unknown at the moment as the only supplier I could get to reliably deal the the small volumes we need can't get any supplies themselves. All I know is there was a two tuner PVR at about AU$475 or a four tuner one at AU$650+. Minimal profit to IceTV. Demotivatingly expensive but I have found no others. We would use OpenViX or maybe OpenATV.

NBOSTI

pardon my ignorance on this. Enigma is new to me.
But what format would the recordings be in?

Just wondering if the hardware will need a HDMI connection, or if it will play back over dlna, or infuse on  Apple TV for that matter. Infuse has handled every file type I have thrown at it so far, including EyeTV. DLNA seems to be file specific for TV systems?
Can I export the recorded files to another os? Convert to another format?
Ignorant? Yes. But curious.

IanL-S

My understanding is, that for free to air TV transmissions, Enigma2 recording devices merely record the program as broadcast, either in MPEG 2 transport stream, or H.264 transport stream. Program information is in a separate file, *.eit, which (as I understand it) a "standard" way of dealing with program information. DLNA is supported, as are other networking protocols.

I record programs on my Beyonwiz (which uses Enigma2), transfer them to my PC, remove pre and post padding and adds using VideoRedo, use TFtool to convert the *.eit file to *.inf file and create *.nav file so they can be played on my Topfield PVRs like native recordings. With the Beyonwiz, through the support for DLNA, you can watch programs recorded on one Beyonwiz on another Beyonwiz. You can also watch them on PC.

Ian
Synology NAS

vader1111

Any update on when these IceTV enabled mini-PCs might be available?

I'm tossing up the option of sending my dead Beyonwiz T2 away for repair instead, but a new unit is still my preferred option if the price & ETA aren't too bad.

MD

I'd "guess", as the whole software adaptation is a new world, the ETA of the IceTV miniPC PVR is three months maximum as Dan and I are about three weeks from initial testing of two units, then we'll give out three more for independent customer testing once our own testing establishes stability.  The target price is $449 1 x dual tuner, and approx $145 for an extra dual tuner. but the upward creep of chip prices makes that uncertain.

vader1111

IanL-S

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to mention it, but the beyonwiz website and the Beyonwiz forum have been down since yesterday afternoon.

Ian
Synology NAS