Logitech Harmony Remote 350 difficulties

Started by MD, August 31, 2021, 06:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Hi everyone,

My U4 remote is getting "tired" with unreliable button presses (especially the skip ones!) so I traced a new Logitech Harmony via eBay as they are no longer in production. However, the setup is gruelling! Has anyone any advice as to how to do it easily and reasonably quickly?

prl

I only have experience with the ancient Java-based configuration app. It's a pain to use, but it's not too bad once you get used to it.

I can help with that, but not with the newer Web-based config.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

raymondjpg

Quote from: MD on August 31, 2021, 06:43:28 PM
Hi everyone,

My U4 remote is getting "tired" with unreliable button presses (especially the skip ones!) so I traced a new Logitech Harmony via eBay as they are no longer in production. However, the setup is gruelling! Has anyone any advice as to how to do it easily and reasonably quickly?

I use a 350 to control HTPCs, Kodi and Emby, and I have used it briefly to control a U4. I can't say I found it gruelling to set up, but there is a limitation to how many commands can be coded into the device compared to the BW remote. It cannot really be regarded as a fully satisfactory alternative.

If by gruelling you mean learning commands then I agree that could be seen as gruelling, but if you are prepared to mostly accept what Logitech provides for the U4 from its database, not so much.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MD

I'm using a MacBook running Big Sur and uploaded the Harmony Remote app for 64big and found this comment in their support which may explain the complete lack of U4 data:
"If you are using our legacy software, Logitech Harmony Remote Software, there will be a delay in having it supported on macOS 11.0 Big Sur. We recommend holding off on upgrading to macOS 11.0 Big Sur if you need to access your remote's account. You can continue accessing your Logitech Harmony Remote Software account by using a Windows computer or a mac computer running macOS 10.15 or lower."

prl

I have the "legacy" Logitech Harmony Remote Software running just fine on my MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2. The Logitech Web site is a huge mess with respect to the loss of 32-bit software support in Catalina (10.15.x) and later.

You can download the version you need from https://support.myharmony.com/en-au/download#harmonyRemote7x. Ignore what it says about waiting for a working version for Big Sur. Click on the SOFTWARE 7.x MAC button below the text that says it doesn't work on Big Sur, and install from the .pkg file in the downloaded .dmg.

I checked that it works by downloading this version and re-installing on my Big Sur MacBook.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: MD on September 02, 2021, 11:33:56 AM
I'm using a MacBook running Big Sur and uploaded the Harmony Remote app for 64big and found this comment in their support which may explain the complete lack of U4 data:
"If you are using our legacy software, Logitech Harmony Remote Software, there will be a delay in having it supported on macOS 11.0 Big Sur. We recommend holding off on upgrading to macOS 11.0 Big Sur if you need to access your remote's account. You can continue accessing your Logitech Harmony Remote Software account by using a Windows computer or a mac computer running macOS 10.15 or lower."

That explains things. I'm on Windows 10 and only venture into Mac territory out of curiosity.

It is a bit rich Logitech terming it "legacy software" when it is only 5 minutes ago that they announced termination of Harmony production but promised ongoing support. As far as I am concerned, without any more recent application, My Harmony should not be classified as legacy.

As an aside I did have occasion to go into My Harmony a couple of days ago looking for a new TV that I have in the database. I was required to confirm my email address on logging in, the first time I have needed to do that since originally registering many years ago. It suggests, perhaps, that Logitech has changed the status of My Harmony and perhaps even relegated it to some siding somewhere. As I have acquired a couple more Harmony remotes since their announcement I'll be looking to update them regularly as long as I can.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on September 02, 2021, 03:09:36 PM
It is a bit rich Logitech terming it "legacy software" when it is only 5 minutes ago that they announced termination of Harmony production but promised ongoing support. As far as I am concerned, without any more recent application, My Harmony should not be classified as legacy.

I'm pretty sure that My Harmony is different from Logitech Harmony Remote Software. The latter is really old, it predates my purchase of a Harmony 785 in 2008. Logitech Harmony Remote Software actually has been updated to run on the "64-bit only" MacOs versions (Catalina and later), but you wouldn't know it from their Web pages.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

MD

Hi Peter,

I tried the old software which did install but it doesn't support the newer Harmony 350 remote and when one tries to update the existing list it takes me to the 64 bit new app which doesn't properly support Beyonwiz.

I think this remote may well join the others in that cupboard we all have for electronic "stuff" we no longer use or need!!

raymondjpg

Quote from: MD on September 03, 2021, 09:30:53 AM
Hi Peter,

I tried the old software which did install but it doesn't support the newer Harmony 350 remote and when one tries to update the existing list it takes me to the 64 bit new app which doesn't properly support Beyonwiz.

I think this remote may well join the others in that cupboard we all have for electronic "stuff" we no longer use or need!!

I would have thought that you should be able to access a Windows 10 PC somewhere in the IceTV establishment. My Harmony is still working there, and as you say is necessary for programming and updating the 350.

Once updated the programmed commands stay in flash memory so survive battery removal or replacement.

If you do try to connect via a Windows PC you will need to set up an account, then go through an automated procedure to add a device (U4, or more if you wish) then synchronise the 350 with the Logitech database. I updated a couple of 350s yesterday and had all sorts of difficulties successfully completing the synchronisation which appeared to stall at 99%. Eventually after a number of attempts I was successful and came to the conclusion that perhaps the Logitech servers were being stressed, much like Covid lockdown inspired panic buying at supermarkets.

raymondjpg

Quote from: MD on September 03, 2021, 09:30:53 AM
Hi Peter,

I have a copy of Catalina Big Sur 11.1 installed in a Virtualbox VM and was able to successfully install My Harmony there. It looks to be fully functional.

You have to download and install the software for remotes that *do not use a hub*. The Harmony remote pictured with that option is not the 350, but one with an LCD screen. Don't let that deter you from selecting that option.

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on September 02, 2021, 05:23:26 PM
Quote from: raymondjpg on September 02, 2021, 03:09:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that My Harmony is different from Logitech Harmony Remote Software. The latter is really old, it predates my purchase of a Harmony 785 in 2008. Logitech Harmony Remote Software actually has been updated to run on the "64-bit only" MacOs versions (Catalina and later), but you wouldn't know it from their Web pages.

I think that's a source of confusion here. I have Logitech Harmony Remote Software 7.7.0 installed on a backup desktop Windows 10 PC that I take to be the old software. I use it to update an old Harmony 525 that I use only rarely, and it's fair to say it's legacy software.

The current software at https://support.myharmony.com/en-au/download?utm_source=www.myharmony.com&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=download&_ga=2.29906239.189709367.1630560648-204245183.1630560648 has two options side-by-side for Hub-based products and Harmony without a hub. The latter, necessary for the 350, installs as MyHarmony on Windows 10 and Harmony Desktop on Big Sur.

prl

The quote that Colin posted from the Logitech site was specifically about Logitech Harmony Remote Software, which is why I posted about how to get a copy of that that runs on Big Sur.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

MD

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Yes I'm choosing the non-hub remote on the Big Sur Harmony Desktop app but, after about five tries, deleting devices and starting from scratch, none of my devices work properly via the Harmony 350:(  That is no button presses for any of them produce a response or, in rare cases the TV opens its EPG!

1) Sony 65" TV KD-65X9000B
2) Beyonwiz U4
3 Apple TV 3

I'm lost for the reason(s) why as 1 and 3 are fairly new (about 5 years old) and common.
The device is getting nearer to the bin by the minute!!!

raymondjpg

Quote from: MD on September 03, 2021, 04:45:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Yes I'm choosing the non-hub remote on the Big Sur Harmony Desktop app but, after about five tries, deleting devices and starting from scratch, none of my devices work properly via the Harmony 350:(  That is no button presses for any of them produce a response or, in rare cases the TV opens its EPG!

1) Sony 65" TV KD-65X9000B
2) Beyonwiz U4
3 Apple TV 3

I'm lost for the reason(s) why as 1 and 3 are fairly new (about 5 years old) and common.
The device is getting nearer to the bin by the minute!!!

I've also found that even copying configurations from one device to another, not all of the buttons were assigned correctly. More specifically, some buttons that were assigned in the original were unassigned in the copy.

I have only tried adding one device recently, a Samsung TV, where I only tried a couple of buttons to open the TV settings options, and did not check anything else. Quite possibly some other critical buttons might have been unassigned.

In any case, you are not obliged to accept the button assignments pre-set by Logitech. All of the available commands from the Logitech database should be available to you, and you can assign them to whichever button you prefer. I just looked at my button assignments for Beyonwiz DVR and they look to be roughly correct: for example menu, exit info and guide etc, but it is possible in a new setup they might not be assigned correctly.

It is easy enough to see if a button that in theory should have a command assigned to it is in fact unassigned. When pressed, none of the four top buttons will light up.

Other than that I have no other suggestions other than to put in a couple of hours configuring the device. In my view cost/benefit ratio is favourable, particularly if you cannot source something else that will do the job. I don't waste my time trying to configure activities, as far as I am concerned the 350 has its greatest uses as an alternative to original remotes for devices.

I expect you will have worked out by now that to switch control between devices you just press the appropriate button among the top four.

MD

Hi Raymodjpg,

Where did you look up the button assignments?