Adding a 2nd PVR

Started by gawaterman, July 29, 2021, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawaterman

I have a T3 and have been using ICE TV for years but now I also have a V2 which I have set up ICE TV on and I Fetch EPG and download timers but none of them show up.All the timers are working on the T3, so what more do I need to do?

prl

Timers will only show up when the Beyonwiz does a fetch from IceTV. That can take up to 15 minutes with the default settings.

Alternatively, you can force the update with MENU>IceTV>Fetch EPG and update timers now.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

gawaterman

I have done that several times but nothing comes up on the timers.
Even if I log into my account at ICE TV I can look at whats on my list of recordings and the T3 has them all, but the V2 has nothing.

gawaterman

OK, found a section on ICE TV where I can copy all the recordings info from the T3 to the V2 and they all show up now, but is it possible to record some shows on the T3 and different ones on the V2

MD

Hi,

Yes, whenever you set a recording you have a choice as to which device or, you can remove any series from whichever device via the My Series section on the app or web site. Also any specific episode can be cancelled too via My Week.

gawaterman

Thanks for that. Yes, since I copied the recordings info, all those other options have shown up. Now will have to go thru a thousand recordings and decide what I want on each recorder. Think I will keep the important stuff on the T3 and misc stuff on the V2

prl

The V2's processor is considerably faster than that of the T3 and as a result has a faster startup from shutdown and a rather snappier UI response.

If the V2 has as many, or more, tuners than the T3, I'd be thinking about making the V2 the main device.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

gawaterman

Quote from: prl on July 30, 2021, 11:54:07 AM
The V2's processor is considerably faster than that of the T3 and as a result has a faster startup from shutdown and a rather snappier UI response.

If the V2 has as many, or more, tuners than the T3, I'd be thinking about making the V2 the main device.

Yes, I had noticed that and am considering that too. Should take the 4Tb hdd out of the T3 and put it in an external container for the V2

prl

Quote from: gawaterman on July 30, 2021, 03:19:48 PM
Yes, I had noticed that and am considering that too. Should take the 4Tb hdd out of the T3 and put it in an external container for the V2

Yes, that's certainly one way to go.

Alternatively, if you're keeping the T3 in service, you could get a nice small, quiet 2.5" USB-powered HDD (or SSD for complete silence, the V2 is convection-cooled), and move your recordings over from the T3's HDD to the movie folder on the V2's HDD with the V2 HDD plugged into the T3, preferably before the V2 gets all busy recording stuff. Or do the move over the network by mounting the V2's movie folder as a network share.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

gawaterman

Tried moving the T3,s hdd into a external container for the V2 but when I did a file system check on the V2 I got a "Checking File System- Error:Possibly non-existant device? fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sdd1"
This was despite it showing correctly as a 4Tb drive.
Did try moving files over via the network, but thats pretty slow(could take days to move 3Tb)
Suspect that the file system of an internal T3 hdd isn't seen on an external usb drive,but that's just a guess. Any ideas?

prl

Quote from: gawaterman on July 31, 2021, 01:32:38 PM
Tried moving the T3,s hdd into a external container for the V2 but when I did a file system check on the V2 I got a "Checking File System- Error:Possibly non-existant device? fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sdd1"

In MENU>Information>Devices, does the USB HDD show up as both the drive (/dev/sdd) and as the volume/partition (/dev/sdd1), on separate lines?

This was despite it showing correctly as a 4Tb drive.

Where? And in exactly what way? See my previous question.

Suspect that the file system of an internal T3 hdd isn't seen on an external usb drive,but that's just a guess. Any ideas?

If the T3 formatted the internal HDD (or it was formatted as from the factory), it will be formatted as a Linux ext4 filesystem. That is also what the V2 expects its recording drive to be, but the V2 (and T3) will also allow you to read/write from a number of other filesystem formats.

in MENU>Information>Devices, the second line for the USB drive (the "/dev/sdd1" line) will also give the filesystem type (and also total space and free space).

I've got no idea what an "external container" might be, but if you want to use a USB enclosure or dock to run a 3.5" HDD, it will need external power - you won't be able to power it from the USB port.

Quote from: gawaterman on July 31, 2021, 01:32:38 PMcould take days to move 3Tb [over the network]

Yep, I make it about two days.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

gawaterman

Sorry, can't answer the 1st two questions cos I have already put it back into the T3 but I took a couple of photos when I was doing it
1. File system check
Back USB3 Slot (Backup+ Desk)(4000.786 GB
Error.
Checking file system...
Error:Possibly non-existent device?
fsck.ext4:No such file or directory while trying to open/dev/sdd1

The T3's hdd was formatted in the T3 and the ext usb hdd was formatted from the V2.
After hours of stuffing around it seems to me that if I format the usb hdd in the T3 then the V2 won't read it and if I format in the V2 then the T3 wont read it.
I have got around it by transferring files via the network and will gradually move them over a few/many nights.

btw, after I formatted on one box then checked it on the other I got this message
"Checking file system...
Error:e2fsck-b 8193<device>
or
e2fsck-b 32768 <device>

prl

Quote from: gawaterman on August 01, 2021, 05:28:38 PM
btw, after I formatted on one box then checked it on the other I got this message
"Checking file system...
Error:e2fsck-b 8193<device>
or
e2fsck-b 32768 <device>

That means that the filesystem superblock (all the filesystem parameters) has been corrupted, and it's suggesting that you try backup copies of the superblock at block address 8193 or 32768 to be able to run the filesystem check (I'm assuming that it's actually "e2fsck -b" rather than "e2fsck-b").

A bad superblock would also explain why the T3 disk didn't mount on the V@ (and now, apparently on the T3).

You can only run fsck with parameters like that by running it from the commandline or from a script run by FileCommander (from live TV, MENU>Sources / Files)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

gawaterman

Would it have been better to have formatted that usb hdd in ntfs, because I just noticed the another usb hdd that I had used as a backup for the T3 that was ntfs, showed up when plugged into the V2.
Or would that only be readable and not available to record to?

prl

NTFS support is a bit dodgy on the Beyonwizes. They can read or write to it, but there are no tools for filesystem repair on it if anything goes wrong. That's less of a problem for USB drives, though, because the repair can easily be done on any Windows box.

NTFS volumes seem to have a bit of a habit of going a bit curdled on the Beyonwiz, and causing "interesting" problems.

Personally, I'd format any drive that's to be used for recording as ext4, using the Beyonwiz's formatter, and only use NTFS and other "foreign" filesystem formats for file transfer to other devices.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use