Prefer standard definition

Started by csutak40, November 23, 2019, 09:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on January 03, 2020, 12:38:56 PM
Sorry Daniel, none of those "solutions" are really workable
As I mentioned earlier, sometimes shows change channels, even networks and there are shows that only show on HD  (there was an example the other day, can't remember what it was)

Daniel's suggestion of removing the multicast HD channels from your setup would address the first problem perfectly. It would still allow you to record from channels broadcast only in HD, like SBS World Movies and Viceland HD.

The only regularly-occurring breakdown of SD/HD simulcast of the broadcaster's main channels I know of is when Perth broadcaster's channels go all pear-shaped to accommodate the local broadcaster's commitment to showing the AFL in HD.

If you could spell out in more detail when you think broadcasters show different programming on SD from what they're showing on HD on their main channel, it may help find a workaround that will suit you.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: prl on January 03, 2020, 12:53:55 PM

If you could spell out in more detail when you think broadcasters show different programming on SD from what they're showing on HD on their main channel, it may help find a workaround that will suit you.
I'll keep an eye out.  There was something on the other day that was on HD only, can't remember what it was
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

grumpy_geoff

The only regularly-occurring breakdown of SD/HD simulcast of the broadcaster's main channels I know of is when Perth broadcaster's channels go all pear-shaped to accommodate the local broadcaster's commitment to showing the AFL in HD.

That's unlikely to now happen after 16-Jan when 7mateHD replaces 7food network.

ChrisW

Quote from: csutak40 on January 03, 2020, 12:38:56 PM
Sorry Daniel, none of those "solutions" are really workable
As I mentioned earlier, sometimes shows change channels, even networks and there are shows that only show on HD  (there was an example the other day, can't remember what it was)

Daniel's suggestion of removing the multicast HD channels from your setup would address the first problem perfectly. It would still allow you to record from channels broadcast only in HD, like SBS World Movies and Viceland HD.

Thanks, but people keep missing the same point.

I WANT the HD multilcast channels to be there for the very occasional show that would be visually worthwhile recording in HD. e.g. a sci-fi movie or animal doco.

Otherwise I'd prefer the SD version every time.

prl

Did you miss my last paragraph? I'm aware of the potential problems with disabling the HD channels.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

TimC

Quote from: ChrisW on January 02, 2020, 04:47:36 PM
My 2c worth (seeing as I started this aspect of the topic):

• SD means smaller files on several near-capacity HDDs.
  • I only use HD for shows that are worth it, like nature/space docs, some sci-fi.
  • Playback of SD files seem to be smoother/quicker when it comes to ad jumping on multiple devices.
  • HD files seem more prone to issues (reboots) on my Skippa during recording.

This sums up my reasons perfectly.

As I said initially, I never really liked the way it used to work, but at least it allowed me to do what I wanted.
I always wanted the option to be a preference selection.

I'm sure some people have only SD TVs as well.

I subscribe to the school of "HD ain't as good as they claim".

Technically HD is better, but my old eyes have yet to spot the difference between HD and SD.
Admittedly the sound is significantly better (True Surround sound) if you have the right equipment.

Regardless, it is simply about catering for different peoples situations and preferences.

As I have said, the simplest solution is to put a preference selection in the "My Account" "Recorders" area.
By all means default it to Prefer HD, so the less technically minded people don't have to change it, but at least give us the option.
Ideally, have all the same "Options" as before, just in a place where you can "Set it and forget it".

This makes the whole issue go away. The process for setting up a recording remains simple as per your original intent, but provides an option for the users that want to get technical.

I guess the App would need to change as well.

If you are busy right now, I can live with the workarounds, but I definitely would like what I suggest put on a "To Do" list.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

csutak40

I do realise that there is a bug that causes double-ups (about which I have a separate thread) but I am sure that this is different.  Every time Graham Norton is on (and rarely happens with anyone else, and when it does, there is a slight difference between the two timers) it records both the HD and the SD definition version.  I usually delete one before it records, but I forgot this time.
As this only started happening at the same time the system got changed re SD/HD I suspect this has something to do with that, but not sure what or how.
While on the subject, please note that (contrary to what we were told) HD is NOT smaller than SD
Cheers,
Judy

MD

Hi,

re Graham Norton - is there a reason why you have it set to record on 10, 10HD and via unconstrained keyword Graham Norton on 10HD, which should be "Graham Norton" (to stop any recordings of shows that contain those two words anywhere especially in a synopsis)?

raymondjpg

I've just run across a problem that may have been covered already.

The Tour Down Under this week is mostly on Prime 7 (simulcast on HD), except for the Peoples' Classic on Sunday, which is on 7TWO. If I select Any Channel then the 7TWO broadcast is picked up, along with the rest of the coverage on Prime 7 HD. If I want to just record the Prime 7 (SD) coverage, then selecting Prime 7 leaves me with the 7TWO broadcast not picked up. When I go to set a single recording for the 7TWO broadcast, IceTV throws an error saying that a series recording already exists.

I guess I could get around this with a keyword recording.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

csutak40

Quote from: MD on January 18, 2020, 08:47:09 AM
Hi,

re Graham Norton - is there a reason why you have it set to record on 10, 10HD and via unconstrained keyword Graham Norton on 10HD, which should be "Graham Norton" (to stop any recordings of shows that contain those two words anywhere especially in a synopsis)?
LOL  No reason except for "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"  What I normally (used to) do is to set a recording on SD for a show I want to watch.  If I then discover that I missed a show because it showed up under a slightly different name, I set up a keyword to make sure it doesn't happen in future.  I usually then delete the original setting.  Must have forgotten.
I have now deleted it and it is now showing to record on HD only next week
That said, you say that I had it said to record on  10, 10HD.  How could I have done that, as there is no longer a setting for that?
Cheers,
Judy

MD

It could have been set for 10 (SD) in the past as those settings would remain. I see Graham Morton is still setting from that Keyword and should be constrained by double quotes, wouldn't it be better to simply set it as a series recording?