Full IceTV Subscription vs Plex Subscription

Started by Peter_H, April 15, 2019, 11:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_H

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and looks like I'm also the first one posting in the Plex messageboard!  Perhaps this is more a question for Support/Sales?
I'm using Plex on a NAS.  Wasn't very happy with the built-in EPG, but so far IceTV looks much better - loads automatically, refreshes faster and includes correct episode numbers.  I've so far signed up to just one month with the Plex subscription until I work out what I need, and wanted some advice.
There is a place on the website that says you don't get smart recording on the Plex.
Does that mean I can't record from the app, record series that haven't started yet, etc?
For a Plex PVR, what extra (if any) would I get from the full IceTV subscription vs Plex subscription?
Thanks in advance,
Peter

Using Plex on QNAP NAS & NVidia Shield. In Sydney

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Peter,

The lack of IceTV Smart Recording within Plex is more to do with the integration than anything else, Plex does not support IceTV's Smart Recording and Remote Scheduling via the IceTV apps and websites.

This is the main reason we created a new type of account for Plex or XMLTV based devices that doesn't include options that these devices can't use, so there is no advantage if you only have Plex to get the full IceTV subscription and it would be best to stick with the Plex Subscription.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Peter_H

Using Plex on QNAP NAS & NVidia Shield. In Sydney

NIftymac

But now as of July 1 2019 we have lost the Plex EPG DVR for Australia !  so subscribed and spent my $2.90 per month for ICETV XMLTV to use with my Plex on my Synology server (with HDHomerun as my tuner)  BUT like many , I cannot get this to work!!  I add in the ICETV  XMLTV url and add the name IceTV Guide and then  when I hit continue to just spins for ver and never completes!  heaps of people reporting this same issue? is this an issue with Plex or the IceTV XMLTV ?? or both?

MD

Plex are working on this issue right now and we are liaising with them as it is effecting many users with a NAS but it was the July 4 holiday last week so they have been delayed.  I'd expect an answer during this week.

gozzie

Good evening, another Plex subscriber come across following their cessation of the Australian EPG.
Having signed up for the 3 months free trial, I am having the an error- Error communicating with provider after inputting the Plex XMLTVlink. Sounds like a different error to those already posted but as I am on the beta release path, wanted to check to get some feed back / comments.

QNAP TVS-671 4.4.1.0978
HD Homerun connect x2
Plex Lifetime Pass 1.16.2.1297-4b7ace214

Thank you in advance

David

MD

Hi gozzle,

I'm sure it's in the same bucket but we'll forward it to Plex for fault finding along with the other NAS issues.  it may be a few days before this is sorted by Plex.

batts

Hi,

I started my 3 month trial a few weeks ago and so far it IceTV guide has worked well on my Synology DS918+. Series recording, guide search, etc all okay. I will be proceeding to subscription.

The only complaint I have is to do with thumbnails, there are only generic text-based thumbnails for many shows including World Cup Cricket, Wimbledon, AFL, ABC news, SBS World News and many others. I also notice that actor thumbnails do not appear for many shows, but this may be a Plex issue?

Can IceTV provide proper thumbnails for all shows as were provided by the recently suspended Plex Guide Service? Why the generic text-based ones?

Batts

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: batts on July 16, 2019, 01:15:08 PM
Hi,

I started my 3 month trial a few weeks ago and so far it IceTV guide has worked well on my Synology DS918+. Series recording, guide search, etc all okay. I will be proceeding to subscription.

The only complaint I have is to do with thumbnails, there are only generic text-based thumbnails for many shows including World Cup Cricket, Wimbledon, AFL, ABC news, SBS World News and many others. I also notice that actor thumbnails do not appear for many shows, but this may be a Plex issue?

Can IceTV provide proper thumbnails for all shows as were provided by the recently suspended Plex Guide Service? Why the generic text-based ones?

Batts

Hi Batts,

IceTV does not have actor thumbnails within its data so this is why are you are not seeing them, as for the program images we can't obtain all the images due to copyright which major international aggregators such as Gracenote probably pay for in amounts that would exceed our total Australian EPG revenue! So I'm afraid there is nothing we can do.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.