Kodi, HDhomerun and ICETv

Started by swamprat96, May 12, 2017, 09:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamprat96

OK OK- there's probably a million Kodi post- but as the search is still broken I can't find them.

I'm readying myself for the imminent failure of my Humax HDR7500T. I have a Nvidia shield TV running Kodi and an HDhomerun as its replacement.  The HDHomerun has its own EPG which is a total POS compared to ICETv. Being a long term icetv user I'd like to use it again for Kodi but can find little on this anywhere. I know there is an XML service which I used long ago on an HTPC so I imagine there will be a plugin to handle Icetv/ Anyone know anything or can point me to a link?

jlowe1973

Hi, I think there's only one Kodi post, yours!

I'm playing around with Kodi, and am wondering what's needed to get it working with Icetv?  Have read various advice, such as NextTV and even the old Windows Media Centre!

I have a Hauppage QuadHD tuner, with WinTV, but looks like that isn't supported either.

Anyone got any advice on how setups?

prl

Quote from: swamprat96 on May 12, 2017, 09:16:47 AM
... the search is still broken ...

Forum search works from the forum home page. It doesn't work from any forum topic pages.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

raymondjpg

Quote from: jlowe1973 on September 18, 2017, 11:45:07 AMAnyone got any advice on how setups?

If you just want to use the IceTV EPG there are a number of Kodi PVR Front End/Back End combinations you could try. I have used MediaPortal and ServerWMC which can both be configured to pick up the IceTV XML EPG. From what I could see of NextPVR it could also be configured for that but looked a little more tricky to implement, so I stuck with a daily scan of the OTA EPG with that one.

Personally I use ServerWMC for the IceTV EPG because it is easier to implement than MediaPortal. The WMC EPG is updated regularly by the IceTVInteractive application, but ServerWMC will only load the EPG from WMC on startup. Therafter the EPG has to be manually reloaded from WMC, but I guess a scheduled task could be set up to close and reopen ServerWMC at regular intervals, forcing an EPG reload.

All of the other PVR Back End options I have looked at can only be configured for one scheduled EPG update per day.

Other than Windows Media Center, I know of no IceTV Interactive options for Kodi or the PC. I personally would never use WMC to record TV because of the limited file recording format. For recordings on a PC I favour TV Scheduler Pro which can be configured to update the EPG from IceTV once a day, which triggers an autoupdate scan of TV scheduled recordings which have been entered manually in the first place. TV Scheduler Pro is still working fine in Windows 10, but for configuration relies on a web browser that can run Java. I use Firefox

If you are not going to be satisfied with Windows WMC TV recordings, in order to use the IceTV scheduling features you really need an IceTV Interactive PVR. If you are satisfied with Windows WMC then it can still be made to work in Windows 10, and has just survived the Creators Update.

Using the IceTV XML EPG service should all be possible with a Hauppage QuadHD tuner, and from what I can tell also with a HDHomerun but I have absolutely no experience with that.

EDIT: I just received this advice from the developer of ServerWMC "Everytime kodi asks for new epg data, serverwmc grabs this data from the wmc service running in the background, so no reason to hit the reload channels button. As long as wmc is configured correctly it will be downloading epg data daily, so serverwmc/kodi will always get this data.

The channel reload button is usually not necessary to use, unless you think your channel list has changed in serverwmc."

The Kodi settings default to a call for new EPG data every 60 minutes. This can be reduced to as little as every 15 minutes.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Ghostydannnn

Quote from: prl on September 18, 2017, 01:54:53 PM
Quote from: swamprat96 on May 12, 2017, 09:16:47 AM
... the search is still broken ...

Forum search works from the forum home page. It doesn't work from any forum topic pages.

I was just about to comment that the search is still broken until I saw this.

Thanks