T3?

Started by csutak40, May 01, 2017, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

While reading various instructions, I keep coming across T3.  I thought it may be a generic term for all T machines, but then decided it wasn't.  Still not sure.  While reading the instructions for the update, I discovered that my T4 needed its Bootloaded updated.  On searching for it, discovered that it was only available for T3.  Installed that and it worked.
So, is my first assumption correct?
I have now discovered something else, that I haven't noticed before.  When I opened IceTV to re-send the recordings, I have discovered that the "Device Type" was set as T3.
Is that correct?  T4 and T2 ARE available, but don't want to fiddle, in case I break something   ???
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on May 01, 2017, 01:09:57 AM
While reading various instructions, I keep coming across T3.  I thought it may be a generic term for all T machines, but then decided it wasn't.  Still not sure.  While reading the instructions for the update, I discovered that my T4 needed its Bootloaded updated.  On searching for it, discovered that it was only available for T3.  Installed that and it worked.

The T3 was the T series first model released (then the T4, then the T2). A lot of guides written at the time (including by me) were written referring only to the T3 and haven't been updated.

I wouldn't have thought that a T3 boot loader would work in a T4, but I could be wrong. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me to have even tried it.

Quote from: csutak40 on May 01, 2017, 01:09:57 AMI have now discovered something else, that I haven't noticed before.  When I opened IceTV to re-send the recordings, I have discovered that the "Device Type" was set as T3.
Is that correct?  T4 and T2 ARE available, but don't want to fiddle, in case I break something   ???

When the Beyonwiz IceTV plugin was first written, there was only a T3, and the plugin always told IceTV that it was a T3 when the Beyonwiz size IceTV setup wizard ran. When IceTV added the T4 and the T2 to their list of device ids, the Beyonwiz side code stayed the same, and I reported that as a Beyonwiz bug back in November ([IceTV] Setting up a new T series always sets the IceTV device type to "Beyonwiz T3") and it was fixed in the then-beta firmware in December. It is now fixed in the official firmware 20170310. But the fix will only change things for new runs of the setup. Existing IceTV devices' device types won't be changed.

AFAIK, it doesn't matter which Beyonwiz device type you choose, provided it's a T series device (setting a Beyonwiz DP device won't work!). I ran our in-use T4 with the IceTV device type set to T3 for ages (that was initially the only choice when I was doing pre-release testing). I eventually changed it to T4 when I did some tidying-up of my recorder settings a while ago. Changing the IceTV setting from "Beyonwiz T3" to "Beyonwiz T4" caused no problems for me. I can't remember exactly how I did it, ut I think I just changed it on the IceTV side in My Recorders.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: prl on May 01, 2017, 10:07:26 AM

The T3 was the T series first model released (then the T4, then the T2). A lot of guides written at the time (including by me) were written referring only to the T3 and haven't been updated.

I wouldn't have thought that a T3 boot loader would work in a T4, but I could be wrong. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me to have even tried it.

Oops!  Well, fingers and toes crossed, it didn't seem to break anything

Cheers,
Judy

grumpy_geoff

Didn't you update the T4 to the latest bootloader in March?  You posted that you were going to update at that time -
http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11006&start=80#p150196

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on May 01, 2017, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: prl on May 01, 2017, 10:07:26 AM

Oops!  Well, fingers and toes crossed, it didn't seem to break anything
The boot loader that's showing on your screenshot is the Mon Jun 15 18:36:02 AEST 2015 version for the T4. You (probably fortunately) didn't install a T3 boot loader on your T4. You have the most recent T4 boot loader installed on your T4. The most recent T3 boot loader is Thu Mar 12 23:37:35 AEDT 2015. The two boot loaders are, as I suspected, quite different, with the T4 boot loader being quite a bit larger (~300kB vs ~530kB).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Quote from: prl on May 01, 2017, 05:07:43 PM

The boot loader that's showing on your screenshot is the Mon Jun 15 18:36:02 AEST 2015 version for the T4. You (probably fortunately) didn't install a T3 boot loader on your T4. You have the most recent T4 boot loader installed on your T4. The most recent T3 boot loader is Thu Mar 12 23:37:35 AEDT 2015. The two boot loaders are, as I suspected, quite different, with the T4 boot loader being quite a bit larger (~300kB vs ~530kB).

Hmmm.  I did download it from that link, but didn't install it then, got busy.  I had a friend here and we were talking about bootloaders and wondered if I had the right one for the T2.  (The bootloader for the T2 is dated June 24)  When I went to the download section, I couldn't find it for the T4 either (still can't, except by following your link from the previous thread) so presumed it must have been the one for T3.
Cheers,
Judy

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on May 01, 2017, 08:51:08 PM
Hmmm.  I did download it from that link, but didn't install it then, got busy.  I had a friend here and we were talking about bootloaders and wondered if I had the right one for the T2.  (The bootloader for the T2 is dated June 24)  When I went to the download section, I couldn't find it for the T4 either (still can't, except by following your link from the previous thread) so presumed it must have been the one for T3.
Yes, unfortunately for some reason Beyonwiz support doesn't have boot loaders for either the T2 or T4 on their Downloads page.

The most recent T2 boot loader is Wed Jun 24 03:22:15 AEST 2015.

The T2, T3 and T4 boot loaders are all different; each has a substantially different size. However, it would take some deliberate effort to apply the wrong boot loader to a machine, and I'd strongly advise against trying to :D
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: prl on May 02, 2017, 11:07:07 AM
The most recent T2 boot loader is Wed Jul 24 03:22:15 AEST 2015.
I think you meant to write 'Jun 24', not July!

prl

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on May 02, 2017, 01:04:51 PM
Quote from: prl on May 02, 2017, 11:07:07 AM
The most recent T2 boot loader is Wed Jul 24 03:22:15 AEST 2015.
I think you meant to write 'Jun 24', not July!
I did.  :-[

Fixed in the original.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Thanks everyone.  Seems I was definitely having a complete brain fog the last few days  :-[

Anyway, should I change the device in IceTV or leave well enough alone?
Cheers,
Judy

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on May 02, 2017, 07:07:13 PM
Anyway, should I change the device in IceTV or leave well enough alone?
Entirely up to you. I'll try changing a device type on one of my test machines to just remind myself how to do it and post that, but don't feel you need to change the device type on your PVRs.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use