Cannot login from T3

Started by gawaterman, April 17, 2017, 04:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawaterman

After playing around with the latest T3 firmware and setting everything all up again, when I turn on the ICE TV plugin I get no information on the ICE TV epg screen.
If I try to log-in I get an error message and when I look at the logs get a whole lot of info ending in "Region was missing from Request"
What does that mean and how do I fix it.
I can log in to my account on-line from my PC ok, but not from the T3.

Dave at IceTV

For an Existing IceTV User the region_id missing error usually means the email address you are trying to login with is not in the ictev database.

It sounds like you may be trying to login on the T3 with a Member ID instead of your email address (the email address that is in your IceTV account).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

gawaterman

No, the email address is in, there just above the password box.

Dave at IceTV

I remember someone else a month ago getting login errors and it turned out the network cable had become unplugged from their Beyonwiz.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

prl

I've answered this question in the Beyonwiz forum with the suggestion that gawaterman runs the IceTV setup wizard.

After installing firmware 20170310, users are told to set up their configuration manually rather than from a settings backup. That will mean that there is no saved IceTV setup data in the Beyonwiz's settings, and I think that the wizard needs to be run.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

gawaterman

After the last firmware upgrade (today) I didn't use the saved setup and did a new Ice TV install, but when I got to the Wizard and try to login as a existing user , that's when I get this error message.
Says  "Login Failure:406 Client error:not acceptable for url:blah blah blahsome hyrogliphics, then :error code10 region was missing from Request"
I am connected to internet as I can see my PC and stream Youtube

gawaterman

Fixed it.
My error was that when I entered my email address while doing the wizard, I used the .net that's on the keyboard, not realizing that it already had the dot  there, and I added another dot in front of it. Must have looked at that dozens of times and not seen the 2 ..'s in there. So alls good now.

gawaterman

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on April 17, 2017, 04:24:30 PM
For an Existing IceTV User the region_id missing error usually means the email address you are trying to login with is not in the ictev database.

Correct, looked right, but too many dots in there.

IanL-S

I did something very similar that once. Was on the phone to Dave about it when the error was spotted. This time around I was more careful.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

I've had a look at what's sent to IceTV on a correct login, a login with an incorrect password and a login with an incorrect email address.

In no case does the Beyonwiz send region information. When the password is incorrect, the IceTV error message in the response is "Invalid password". When the email address is incorrect the error message in the response is "Region was missing from request". That's just plain wrong, because it's not the actual error, and a successful login doesn't require a region id to be sent.

Here's what a successful request looks like:
{
    "device": {
        "type_id": 30,
        "uid": "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",
        "label": "Beyonwiz T4"
    },
    "member": {
        "password": "notReallyMyPasswordButItWas",
        "email_address": "myRealEmailName@yahoo.com.au"
    }
}

There's no need for a region id to log in successfully.

I think that the error message needs to be changed on the server side. It would also help if the IceTV API document had a specification of the "errors" entity. Then error messages could me made less messy. But without the server side change, the error message would still be misleading in this case.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi prl,

The region_id is required for a new trial signup, and is never sent when logging in for an existing account.

Both new signup's and existing logins both go to the /login node, and unfortunately due to existing integrations this cannot be changed.

In this instance it is sending an E_MISSING_INFORMATION error (which is error code -4) with the error text of "Region was missing from request".

We can add some more text to the request, however at that point it is unknown the server end if its a just a typo on the email address or an invalid trial signup. One other option is in the Beyonwiz plugin (as it's known if the user is performing a trial signup or an existing account login) would be intercept the message and know that for existing logins that error actually means bad email address.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

prl

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 19, 2017, 05:16:41 PM
We can add some more text to the request, however at that point it is unknown the server end if its a just a typo on the email address or an invalid trial signup. One other option is in the Beyonwiz plugin (as it's known if the user is performing a trial signup or an existing account login) would be intercept the message and know that for existing logins that error actually means bad email address.
Thanks for the info, Daniel.

I'm not sure that it's a great idea for the client to go changing the text of server-generated errors, especially when there's no API information about the error messages (not even the JSON syntax), or what they mean.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use