Australian Survivor

Started by BigMick, August 28, 2016, 09:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMick

Just missed recording australian survivor ep3 as it was marked as a rerun  >:(

Tiphanee

HI BigMick,

I'm sorry that you missed your recording of Aust Survivor.

I have checked the whole schedule and it was marked as a premiere in all regions.  I think this may be a technical issue so I will ask Dave from our Support team to respond to you to see what went wrong.

Cheers,

Tiphanee
Regards,

Tiphanee
IceTV Guide Team Leader

BigMick

Hi thanks for the reply Tiphanee

Yeah I noticed that too - I went back and looked in the guide xml file afterwards too but I wasn't sure if it had changed at any point but sounds like not. The first airing on sunday night was marked as premier but the second screening (i think today sometime from memory) was marked as a re-run. However the shows have the same show ID so I suspect my system has updated the information for the show to be a repeat based on the second instance of it.

Which makes me wonder - I'm not sure what the correct/normal way to represent that situation is. To me a second airing of the same show just on a different day isn't really a rerun - a rerun is when they are repeating something from the past, so for my recording software at least I'd expect the duplicate airing to have the same show id and not be marked as a rerun. That allows me to set "first runs only" but still have the software choose the best one to record if all the tuners are busy on sunday night then it can record monday's....  i would have thought having the same show ID means most recording software would skip the duplicate as it's obviously a repeat... if that makes sense??

Cheers
Mikc

Dave at IceTV

Hi Mick,

For more than 10 years it has always been: If an episode has been aired previously in a specific region it is marked as a repeat when aired again in that region... unless it is time-shifted and overlaps the original airing in which case both airings are marked as new.

To determine if an ep is a repeat all PVR/NAS recording software that I know of either rely 100% on repeat flags or use the series and episode numbers (when they exist).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

prl

While I agree that BigMick has a valid request for a new capability in IceTV (schedule an "encore" instead of the first run of a program if the first run can't be scheduled), I don't think that the right way of doing it is by universally treating some repeats as not being repeats.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

BigMick

Thanks for the replies guys

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on August 30, 2016, 10:34:17 AM
To determine if an ep is a repeat all PVR/NAS recording software that I know of either rely 100% on repeat flags or use the series and episode numbers (when they exist).
FYI this is not the case with Sage TV which is what I use, in addition to the repeat flag as a first level filter, it will use the show ID to determine whether or not something has already been recorded, which can work very well if you miss an episode due to scheduling conflict etc with the networks often re-screening shows now at an alternative time during the following days etc now with so many channels to fill ...

So I understand what's normal, if they are repeating lets say australian survivor in 6 months time, will the episodes be given the same show IDs are they have for this run? or do repeat screenings normally get different show ids?

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: BigMick on September 01, 2016, 10:06:40 AM
Thanks for the replies guys

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on August 30, 2016, 10:34:17 AM
FYI this is not the case with Sage TV which is what I use, in addition to the repeat flag as a first level filter, it will use the show ID to determine whether or not something has already been recorded, which can work very well if you miss an episode due to scheduling conflict etc with the networks often re-screening shows now at an alternative time during the following days etc now with so many channels to fill ...

So I understand what's normal, if they are repeating lets say australian survivor in 6 months time, will the episodes be given the same show IDs are they have for this run? or do repeat screenings normally get different show ids?

All showings under IceTV will have a unique show id, each showing will always have a series id, and if there is an episode it will also have an episode id. If this particular episode is broadcast in 6 months time then it will have a new show id (as each of these instances during the same week will), but the series id and episode id will be same (as was the case with these 2 showings).

In this instance the repeat flag (or in the case of the XMLTV feed the presence of the 'previously-shown' tag) will also be set.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.