Windows 10 Grrr

Started by csutak40, July 20, 2016, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

OK, After it had fallen over last week, gotten around to giving my desktop's update another try.  In fact, I didn't; it decided to start all by itself, and as it happened, I had to go out, so had to leave it here to play with itself.
To my surprise, I got home and it proudly told me that it has updated me.  We then got onto setting it up.  It gave me some options, that I couldn't untick, to had to let it install it all
It then proceeded with all sorts of error messages, including some improtant stuff I won't bore you with.
One of the popup's was this.  Is this normal?  I mean, is this just becaue of  WMC not being available?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Dave

Judy,
Have you downloaded the new IceTVInteractive for Windows 10?
Have a look at the following link. http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/98996568-How-to-install-Media-Center-in-Windows-10
You'll need to install WMC and then the new Interactive.
I couldn't get version 12 of WMC installed but I am able to run version 11.
Everything is basically working on my Windows 10 machine, aside from the odd lockup now and then.
Dave.
Antec NSK2480B Case & PSU, Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II 965 3.40Ghz quad core CPU, 4Gb RAM, Hauppauge HVR2200 Dual Tuner, 1Tb and 500Gb WD HDDs, Windows 10 running NextPVR

csutak40

Quote from: Dave on July 21, 2016, 10:26:50 AM
Judy,
Have you downloaded the new IceTVInteractive for Windows 10?
Have a look at the following link. http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/98996568-How-to-install-Media-Center-in-Windows-10
You'll need to install WMC and then the new Interactive.
I couldn't get version 12 of WMC installed but I am able to run version 11.
Everything is basically working on my Windows 10 machine, aside from the odd lockup now and then.
Dave.
Thank you Dave
ATM IceTV is the least of my problems. I figured I need to do something, but been otherwise occupied :-X  >:(  :'(  Something's gone seriously wrong, the major worry being is that Quicken had died and its ini file has disappeared.  Not only that, the BACKUP of the ini file that I was carefully keeping on my D drive (it is an old version of Quicken and the only way to reinstall it and re-register it is with that ini file) has disappeared as well.  Lots of other problems too, keep finding new things missing/not working
ATM not sure what to do, except tear my hair out.  Not sure (and afraid to try) if rolling back would help
Cheers,
Judy

IanL-S

Judy, when you upgrade to Windows 10 the old Windows installation (Windows 7.1)  is still there - called 'old windows' or some-such. My recollection is that this includes program files and settings. You may find the *.ini file you need somewhere in that directory.

I had an upgrade to Windows 10 that went badly wrong - deleted user files and most programs. Fortunately I made a disk image backup before I upgraded. Used the recovery disk to restore the backup and then updated to Win 10 again without issue.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

csutak40

Quote from: IanL-S on July 22, 2016, 03:11:01 PM
Judy, when you upgrade to Windows 10 the old Windows installation (Windows 7.1)  is still there - called 'old windows' or some-such. My recollection is that this includes program files and settings. You may find the *.ini file you need somewhere in that directory.

I had an upgrade to Windows 10 that went badly wrong - deleted user files and most programs. Fortunately I made a disk image backup before I upgraded. Used the recovery disk to restore the backup and then updated to Win 10 again without issue.

Ian
I made a huge mistake...  I have several drives in that computer and some external drives attached as well.  I did make an image of the C drive, but not the  rest and (stupid!!!!) didn't disconnect the external drives either.
It stuffed up everything , can't even find some of the drives and created some small ones (presumably partitions?)  I have found windows.old, that ini file wasn't there either.
I am too scared to roll back, need to find an expert (where???) in Windows 10.  Scared that I'll make things worse
Incidentally, there is a poltergeist in my computer, things (including the names of the drives) keep changing without me touching  anything.  The ini file for Quicken has re-appeared and I can now open the program.
I definitely want to roll back to 7 and stay there.  I updated my laptop as well, that went reasonably well (except for deciding that I was in the US and I had to download the Australian language pack to make it go back to Australian settings)  My son's computer went OK as well, but the desktop I should have left alone  :'(
Cheers,
Judy

IanL-S

Glad that you are up and running. Having multiple HDD especially USB ones can get confusing. Fortuntatly I did not have the problem you had, even with the one upgrade that went terribly wrong.

Yes, it is always the most important computer than things go wrong with. I upgraded a total of about 10 for either Win 7.1 or 8.1 to Win 10. Two of them were new installations of Win 7.1 - buying Win 7.1 was less than half the cost of Win 10.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help