1 show split across 2 recordings

Started by Crawfo, March 23, 2016, 09:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawfo

Hi,

We've noticed this a few times now, and are curious as to why this would occur.  Example from last night, the recording for MKR is listed in "My Recordings" as 2 separate files.  So we have the first part of MKR in one recording marked with the "incomplete" symbol commencing at 7:25pm and running for 57 min 5 sec, and then the second part of MKR in another recording commencing at 8:23pm running for 1 hour 1 min.  There is a short section of the show missing between the 2 recordings.

Does anyone know why this would occur?  The only thing I can think is that Skippy has reboot himself during that time.

Thanks.

IanL-S

I have not noticed this with my SKIPPA, but I use it as a backup. Rebooting could be the problem. I find my SKIPPA is much more reliable if I use external fan to keep it cool. I am currently using a notebook travel cooler; cost about $10 on eBay. Use the same fan on my Beyonwiz T2.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Crawfo on March 23, 2016, 09:22:38 AM
The only thing I can think is that Skippy has reboot himself during that time.

It does seem like your Skippa rebooted at 8:22pm for some reason. A reboot could take 1 minute.

Or maybe the Skippa lost the TV signal for seven (or all channels). I haven't tried pulling out the antenna cable while a Skippa is recording and then plugging it back in so don't if that is how it would behave.

An antenna signal dropout, overheating or a power supply issue would seem to be the most likely possible causes.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

I just tried pulling the antenna cable out for long enough to trigger the 'signal lost' message with a blank screen and the recording kept going so a split recording is not caused by an antenna signal issue.

Next I pulled out the power cable and plugged it back it right away. The Skippa took 80 seconds to reboot... and I now have a folder with 2 recordings for the show I was recording. The first file stopped recording when I pulled the power cable out. The second file started recording automatically after the Skippa booted back up.

It's clear that your Skippa rebooted at 8:22pm. The questions are why did it reboot, and is it going to do it again.

Maybe your street or home experienced a power surge or brown out. Maybe the Skippa is plugged in to an old or overloaded powerboard. Or maybe it is overheating.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Crawfo

Thanks Ian and Dave!  I will have a look at cooling options, we did not notice any home power problems and the Skippa is plugged into a UPS (along with our Toppy's).  The Skippa is a fantastic little unit, and I hope our's is not on its way out.