Different 7Flix problem

Started by csutak40, March 03, 2016, 05:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

It is recording for me, but it has no channel name, nor metadata

I think I followed all the instructions correctly, attempted to re-fetch several times, makes no difference
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

IanL-S

Judy, I am seeing the same thing. Not sure what is going on. It could also apply to 10HD but I have not recorded anything on 10HD on the T2.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

It doesn't have "no channel name". It has the wrong channel name, presumably the one used by 7flix in the days leading up to the launch. The channel name isn't in the IceTV data used to set the timer, so it's not IceTV's fault.

Do you see "7flix" named correctly in the Terrestrial TV LCN or the Last Scanned bouquet? If so, I suggest re-doing the rescan that you did when you first rescanned for 7flix before the launch.

Because the channel name isn't stored in the timer, either, that should resolve the channel name if  have the cause correct.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

IanL-S

Not sure if I was looking at the correct place, but both 10HD and 7flix are listed we I use Open Webif to 'inspect' the T2. I selected LCN tab and then All Channels. And they are both listed there. (Not looking at the unit via TV as the HDMI switch to which it attached has lost the plot. Keep on cycling between active connections.) Should have know better than to buy one from China.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

csutak40

Quote from: prl on March 03, 2016, 05:12:12 PM
It doesn't have "no channel name". It has the wrong channel name, presumably the one used by 7flix in the days leading up to the launch. The channel name isn't in the IceTV data used to set the timer, so it's not IceTV's fault.

Do you see "7flix" named correctly in the Terrestrial TV LCN or the Last Scanned bouquet? If so, I suggest re-doing the rescan that you did when you first rescanned for 7flix before the launch.

Because the channel name isn't stored in the timer, either, that should resolve the channel name if  have the cause correct.

I will re-read your post again manana, as I am half asleep, but not sure I understand.  As it happens, I re-scanned it yesterday (before I posted here), because my first thought was that I hadn't done it correctly.  The terrestrial TV does show it, as does last scanned (see attached)
Cheers,
Judy

prl

You could try deleting the episode on IceTV and wait for the timers to be updated (or force the update in MENU>Plugin>IceTV>Fetch EPG and update timers now).

If that doesn't delete the timer on the PVR, delete it manually.

Then schedule a one-off recording for that episode on IceTV, and see whether the new timer comes through with the right channel name.

This problem may be related to the fact that the scanned serviceref changed for TEN HD when it launched from the one that scanned before the launch date. The change shouldn't affect being able to set IceTV timers, but it might affect the lookup of the channel name.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Quote from: prl on March 04, 2016, 12:05:50 PM
You could try deleting the episode on IceTV and wait for the timers to be updated (or force the update in MENU>Plugin>IceTV>Fetch EPG and update timers now).

If that doesn't delete the timer on the PVR, delete it manually.

Then schedule a one-off recording for that episode on IceTV, and see whether the new timer comes through with the right channel name.

This problem may be related to the fact that the scanned serviceref changed for TEN HD when it launched from the one that scanned before the launch date. The change shouldn't affect being able to set IceTV timers, but it might affect the lookup of the channel name.

Well, I did all of the above, deleted the timer, waited for it to disappear from the Wiz, then re-scheduled it.  Came back as "new channel" as before
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but noticed that these two new channels have no icons.  Don't see how that would cause this, just thought I'd mention it.

Incidentally, I have two more questions.  Is there a way of changing the size of the EPG on the TV?  (see attached photo of the actual TV set, as opposed to  looking at it on the Web)

Also, I seem to have acquired a bouquet called Melbourne.  Has it got a purpose, before I get rid of it?
Cheers,
Judy

futzle

csutak40, you're not seeing things.  I had "New Channel" happen on my T3 for a scheduled recording of The Amazing Race on 7flix last week.  I was too chicken to let it stay that way - I record that show for another family member - so I manually edited the timer to use the 7flix channel, destroying any chance of doing forensics on the cause of the anomaly.  It recorded OK.

If it happens again for this week's episode of The Amazing Race I'll post back.

csutak40

Quote from: futzle on March 05, 2016, 10:38:00 AM
csutak40, you're not seeing things.  I had "New Channel" happen on my T3 for a scheduled recording of The Amazing Race on 7flix last week.  I was too chicken to let it stay that way - I record that show for another family member - so I manually edited the timer to use the 7flix channel, destroying any chance of doing forensics on the cause of the anomaly.  It recorded OK.

If it happens again for this week's episode of The Amazing Race I'll post back.

I also record the Amazing Race, but for reasons too convoluted to explain here, I record that with Media Centre.  That has the name etc.  It only has "new channel" on the Wiz
Cheers,
Judy

prl

When you rescanned, did any of you get "duplicate" Seven channels in the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet with LCNs 350 or more?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on March 04, 2016, 07:42:04 PM
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but noticed that these two new channels have no icons.  Don't see how that would cause this, just thought I'd mention it.

The changes in IceTV for these channels and the fact that the two channels have no picons have the same base cause: that both processes require information about some of the broadcast parameters of the new channels (what Daniel has been collecting in "Information needed for new channels (7flix, TEN HD and more)", and what I've been collecting in "Request for updates for channel picons" on the Beyonwiz forum). The key information is the same in both cases, though I collect it in a different way from the way Daniel asks for it to be collected. That's why I've been able to contribute information in "Information needed for new channels" in areas a long way from where I live, and why I haven't been able to contribute LCN information there, because my data collection method doesn't capture LCN information, because I have no need for it.

The picons for 7flix and TEN HD have been accepted into the Beyonwiz picon repository and should appear when you get the next Beyonwiz firmware update.

The missing picons in no way cause the "New channel" problem you're seeing, and the "New channel" problem doesn't cause the missing picons, though the two problems are not completely unrelated.

Incidentally, I have two more questions.  Is there a way of changing the size of the EPG on the TV?  (see attached photo of the actual TV set, as opposed to  looking at it on the Web)

I'm not quite sure what you mean: do you want to stop the EPG from being cut off at the edges, or do you want to change the font size, number of rows, or time span of the EPG data?

The EPG is almost certainly being cut off by overscan settings on the TV. Overscan is useful for some analog TV transmissions where there is distortion of the image near the edges. Overscan stretches the broadcast image so that the image is larger than the screen and the edges are cut off.

Many TVs allow you to turn off overscan using a setting named something like "Just Fit", "Screen Fit", "True Scan", "Full Scan". If it has that capability, set it to not stretch the image. The idea of these settings is to show the digital image exactly filling the screen (and you might wonder why the default is ever any different!).

If your TV doesn't allow you to turn off overscan (mine doesn't), or, if after turning overscan off, the EPG image doesn't fit the screen properly, you can adjust the position and size of the user interface overlay in MENU>Setup>AV setup>OSD position. Use Move Left/Right to increase the value (move right) until you see a bright band down the left of the TV screen, then decrease it until the bright band just disappears. Then reduce Width until a bright band appears on the right of the TV. Then increase it until the bright band just disappears. Then do the same with Move Up/Down and Height.

Now the EPG (and all teh user interface screens) will neatly fit the TV screen.

Also, I seem to have acquired a bouquet called Melbourne.  Has it got a purpose, before I get rid of it?

I don't know of a way of creating additional bouquets without the user actually asking for them to be created, and doing it that way, you'd have had to enter the bouquet name as "Melbourne". What's in the bouquet?

A scan for channels will create or replace the bouquets Last Scanned, Terrestrial TV LCN and Terrestrial RADIO LCN. It will also create empty Favourites (TV) and Favourites (Radio) if they don't already exist, but it won't change them otherwise. I've never heard of any other bouquet being created by a scan. If you've had a "Melbourne" bouquet in the past, restoring settings may have brought it back from a settings backup.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Quote from: prl on March 05, 2016, 01:29:52 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean: do you want to stop the EPG from being cut off at the edges, or do you want to change the font size, number of rows, or time span of the EPG data?
Stop the EPG being cut off at the edges

Quote from: prl on March 05, 2016, 01:29:52 PMThe EPG is almost certainly being cut off by overscan settings on the TV. Overscan is useful for some analog TV transmissions where there is distortion of the image near the edges. Overscan stretches the broadcast image so that the image is larger than the screen and the edges are cut off.

Many TVs allow you to turn off overscan using a setting named something like "Just Fit", "Screen Fit", "True Scan", "Full Scan". If it has that capability, set it to not stretch the image. The idea of these settings is to show the digital image exactly filling the screen (and you might wonder why the default is ever any different!).

If your TV doesn't allow you to turn off overscan (mine doesn't), or, if after turning overscan off, the EPG image doesn't fit the screen properly, you can adjust the position and size of the user interface overlay in MENU>Setup>AV setup>OSD position. Use Move Left/Right to increase the value (move right) until you see a bright band down the left of the TV screen, then decrease it until the bright band just disappears. Then reduce Width until a bright band appears on the right of the TV. Then increase it until the bright band just disappears. Then do the same with Move Up/Down and Height.

Now the EPG (and all teh user interface screens) will neatly fit the TV screen.

I searched everywhere, can't see anything like this. FWIW if I look at the TV's EPG, that is sized correctly.  It is only the T4's EGP that has the edges go too far

I found some settings on the TV's menu, changing those would change the size of the picture on the TV, but not on the Wiz.  Then I found the OSD settings on the Wiz (see attached)  I changed all of the numbers, it didn't seem to make any difference.  I couldn't see a "bright band" regardless of what I changed the numbers to.  That attached is back to the default numbers..

Quote from: prl on March 05, 2016, 01:29:52 PMI don't know of a way of creating additional bouquets without the user actually asking for them to be created, and doing it that way, you'd have had to enter the bouquet name as "Melbourne". What's in the bouquet?

A scan for channels will create or replace the bouquets Last Scanned, Terrestrial TV LCN and Terrestrial RADIO LCN. It will also create empty Favourites (TV) and Favourites (Radio) if they don't already exist, but it won't change them otherwise. I've never heard of any other bouquet being created by a scan. If you've had a "Melbourne" bouquet in the past, restoring settings may have brought it back from a settings backup.

It has what was in the original scan, I think.  A friend set it up for me originally, he must have created it.  Deleted it now.  Incidentally, I don't have "Terrestrial RADIO LCN" either.  Not that I need it  :D
Cheers,
Judy

prl

What make and model TV is it? I'll see if I can find an online manual and see if I can find out how to turn off overscan, because I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

I don't know why you couldn't adjust the PVR's user interface size using OSD position. I have used it to correct for overscan on our TV in just the way I described.

And, unless you've deleted it, your PVR does have the Terrestrial RADIO LCN bouquet. From live TV, press the RADIO button, and you'll see it. Ti get back to TV mode, go back out of the RADIO screen, press TV and select your usual bouquet in the usual way.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

csutak40

Quote from: prl on March 05, 2016, 10:37:19 PM
What make and model TV is it? I'll see if I can find an online manual and see if I can find out how to turn off overscan, because I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

I don't know why you couldn't adjust the PVR's user interface size using OSD position. I have used it to correct for overscan on our TV in just the way I described.

And, unless you've deleted it, your PVR does have the Terrestrial RADIO LCN bouquet. From live TV, press the RADIO button, and you'll see it. Ti get back to TV mode, go back out of the RADIO screen, press TV and select your usual bouquet in the usual way.

It is Sony KDL-46EX520 https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiHrMKp96nLAhXDF5QKHQGfCwQQFggeMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tv-manual.com%2Fmanuals%2Fsony0%2FSony_KDL-46EX520_manual.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHJM_8SytNrUgzpGe_a65Zf85ANqQ&sig2=XAcdfQjGBf_W15kkw9EgGA&cad=rjt

You are right about the Terrestrial Radio.  I was just looking at the list shown when I press EPG, never pressed the Radio button (or the TV, for that matter) 

I WILL have to do something about this remote!  As I said, I had it in the bedroom and hardly used it there, watched things on the TV through the network.  Now that it is in the loungeroom I realising what a horrible remote it is.  When I'm sitting in my chair, which is a bit side on from the Wiz, it doesn't work at all (the Toppy has no problems)  So, I have to move to the couch, to sit directly opposite and even then it doesn't work half the time.  As I'm yet to familiarise myself with it, I' never sure if I pressed the wrong button, or it just didn't "take".  I usually find it to be the latter.  I have an old Harmony 785 remote that I stopped using years ago, may have to get it out to see if it is an improvement on this.
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Sorry, just tested the link I've sent and it doesn't work.  Not sure why.  I just Googled KDL-46EX520_Manual and got that link, which worked for me  Maybe try this way https://www.google.com.au/search?q=KDL-46EX520_Manual&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=ZwnbVpyJK4rG0ATfl4nACg#newwindow=1&q=KDL-46EX520+Manual
Cheers,
Judy