Getting content off external hard drive

Started by Carljh, February 06, 2016, 03:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carljh

I normally drop and drag shows that I want to keep from the Skippa drive on my PC onto another drive.  However last week for some reason a show I wanted to keep didn't show up on the Skippa drive so thought I would move it to the external drive I have attached to Skippa.  There is nothing in the Skippa menu to transfer or delete files from the external drive, so I unplugged the drive and plugged it into my PC.  The PC (running Windows 10) couldn't read the drive.  Anyone have any idea what format Skippa uses when it formats external drives or how to access these files?  Any help very much appreciated.

IanL-S

As the SKIPPA runs Linux, it probably is ext4 (possibly ext3 if has an older kernel); a remote possibility would be JFS.

The best way to access it would be to use a Linux LiveCD.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Carljh

Thanks for that, Ian.  I downloaded a program, DiskInternals Linux Reader and this opened the drive and showed a Skippa folder.  The strange thing was that I have 2 videos on this disc but only the first one I transferred on to it shows up and not the one I want.  The properties show this is a NTFS drive.  The program is definitely on the disc as I have played it on Skippa.

Dave at IceTV

Are you sure you don't have 2 partitions on that drive. The missing recording and metadata files could be hiding in another partition.

The Skippa can move recordings to FAT32 and NTFS formatted external drives, and I assume Ext3 (and maybe Ext4).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service