Will you considering supporting emby server

Started by denny09, February 05, 2016, 04:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denny09

The is exceptional useful software for all your media called emby it is a complete media center it is much more powerful than WMC and it is getting constantly better one important item it is lacking is XMLTV import it currently only supports schedules direct. It is very welcoming community and Luke the developer I am sure will assist.

Would like to know would you consider making a program that can interact with emby media I think it has so much potential pvr is not as good as WMC but it already showing promise that it will be even better.

Considering WMC is dead, not yet but will be it could be beneficial to have another client.

Thank you

Dave at IceTV

Isn't Emby Server like Kodi where it needs a Live TV / PVR backend? And the best PVR backend is Windows Media Center...

If anyone is serious about using Windows Media Center as their TV recorder they would have a dedicated PC setup as their Media Center. In which case, as it's a Media Center and not a regular PC, why upgrade to Windows 10...

Media Center in Windows 7 and 8.1 works fine. As the saying goes: "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Anyone who wants something shiny and new to play with should setup Kodi or Emby Server (on the same PC or on other PCs) and keep Media Center as the PVR backend.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

raymondjpg

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on February 09, 2016, 09:00:55 PMIsn't Emby Server like Kodi where it needs a Live TV / PVR backend? And the best PVR backend is Windows Media Center...

WMC might be OK for Live TV but I do not like the recorded TV file format from WMC and I will avoid that at all costs. I have MediaPortal set up as a backend for Kodi and it works reasonably well for both Live TV and recordings. In my experience setting up a Live TV / PVR backend proved to be  much easier for Kodi than for Emby. It may have improved.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

denny09

WMC is abandoned by Microsoft and if you purchase a new pc you cannot install WMC. I have a dedicated wmc computer that I use for all my watching live tv and recorded tv.

There are many alternatives but for a true replacement to WMC nothing comes close to Emby and it has already surpassed WMC in its capabilities. It has a downside to use their built in dvr you have to use hdhomerun tuners luckily I have them with them the channel change is almost instant.

I liked Kodi but Emby has surpassed it in stability. Emby is still not perfect it still has a way to go but so far I am very impressed. 

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: denny09 on March 08, 2016, 01:02:07 PM
WMC is abandoned by Microsoft and if you purchase a new pc you cannot install WMC. I have a dedicated wmc computer that I use for all my watching live tv and recorded tv.
You can install Windows 7 or 8.1 on a new PC. Save a few dollars and purchase the new PC without an operating system. Assumedly people would have a Windows 7 or 8.1 CD, DVD or USB image and license already.

- Windows 10 Pro costs $160 to $230.
- You can still buy Windows 8.1 Pro for $100 to $150 download, or $140 to $220 retail.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM and Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit OEM are both available for $219 while Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM is $229.
See page 3 here: http://www.tecs.com.au/shop/software.html?p=3

Windows 8.1 Professional RETAIL for DVD for $223 here:
http://www.cworld.com.au/product-details/software+and+licensing/187483

Microsoft are still providing updates for Windows 8.1 so you wouldn't be buying an operating system that has reached it's end of life.

Quote from: denny09 on March 08, 2016, 01:02:07 PM
There are many alternatives but for a true replacement to WMC nothing comes close to Emby and it has already surpassed WMC in its capabilities. It has a downside to use their built in dvr you have to use hdhomerun tuners luckily I have them with them the channel change is almost instant.
Only supporting HD Homerun tuners is a massive downside for people who already have Netstream tuners or USB tuners or internal tuner cards.

If I had to list PVR software in order of getting the most queries for adding IceTV Series Recording support it would be:

1. Windows 10 with patched Media Center 8.1 installed.
2. Media Portal.
3. DVBLink.
4. Kodi.
5. TV Scheduler Pro.
6. Emby.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

denny09

Thanks Dave for the detailed reply. I was thinking of buying another win 7 licence just in case this pc packs up as it is now 6 years however Microsoft said they will only support win 10 on new computers.

Having HDHomerun support only is a major downside I agree with you but I can understand from support point of view I had issues with early tuners until the tiny twin tuners arrived.

JPP

You can still buy Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for around $60. Just Google "Windows 7 OEM" - lots of places will come up.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: JPP on March 09, 2016, 07:11:09 PM
You can still buy Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for around $60. Just Google "Windows 7 OEM" - lots of places will come up.

I forgot that Win7 Home Premium included Media Center.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

denny09

It looks like intel skylake which is generation 6th chip is the last version to support win 7 even then it says till about 2017 so what it means is that you need to purchase 5th generation to be sure it will run win 7. These chips will be available for a while still for $60 dollars I will consider strongly to buy a copy.

At least there is finally a potential product that could be better than wmc only time will tell.   

Daniel Hall at IceTV

We have just released the documentation for the IceTV API so this would now be a possibility for someone to implement.

More details at http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/announcements/4/icetv-api-documentation/5065/
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

denny09

I hope that you still consider supporting emby because there are now number of us who use it. WMC has no future anymore that is clear so it is one of those things if you don't stay current you will forgotten.

If schedules direct offers support for Australia you will lose a number of current customers and lose potential future customers. Emby is getting more advanced by the week it is not ready to replace WMC but it is not far off. It can now do so many advanced things that are far better than wmc can. There is a wonderful community and luke the main developer would be very happy to assist you to get up and running. 

I know there is a disadvantage that it supports only silicon dust tuners but they are best out there I have had them for years and they haven't missed the bear.

I hope you do support it as it is another avenue for growth.