Coming in 2016 email - Here Come the Habibs

Started by simoncasey, January 04, 2016, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simoncasey

On the coming in 2016 email sent out today, why is the picture for Here Come the Habibs (about a Lebanese family in Australia) actually a picture from the Kumars at No 42 (an Indian family in England). Or is a picture of brown skinned people close enough.  >:(

John

Hi simoncasey I guess there could be several reasons for the wrong picture from our descriptor making a mistake to there not being a picture available but I seriously doubt that any racist decisions were involved in this. It is good to see that the normal tolerance of the forum is alive and well. Thanks for the heads up to our error.

Tezza007

The first time I read the synopsis for the Habibs, I immediately said bewdy, an Aussie version of the Kumars.
The shorts for the Habibs look much better though, more like a copy of The Beverly Hillbillies

Paul55

Quote from: Tezza007 on January 04, 2016, 06:18:25 PM
The first time I read the synopsis for the Habibs, I immediately said bewdy, an Aussie version of the Kumars.
The shorts for the Habibs look much better though, more like a copy of The Beverly Hillbillies

I hope you're right but I don't intend to find out. I think the show looks appalling and even the preview (which I assume is intended to convey humour) makes me cringe - and not in the harmless/funny way that the Beverly Hillbillies did (and still does).

Tezza007

Ya just letting political correctness cloud your judgement  :)
I am rabidly anti PC

nis200sx

Quote from: Tezza007 on January 04, 2016, 06:18:25 PM

Very good comparison. It's probably how the writers pitched the show to the network. "A 2016 Aussie version of The Beverly Hillbillies with a lotto winning ethnic family as The Hillbillies.

The Habibs themselves behave like a cross between 'western suburb aussies' and '2nd generation new Australians'. 'New westies'?
Dave

Tezza007

simoncasey

But nothing like the Kumars, which is a spoof chat show.

prl

Perhaps more like At Home with the Braithwaites: "A normal everyday family strike it rich by winning the lottery. Their life dramatically changes with their new-found wealth." [IMDB]
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Tezza007

Quote from: simoncasey on January 05, 2016, 01:13:36 PM
But nothing like the Kumars, which is a spoof chat show.

You're absolutely right, I was getting it mixed up with Citizen Khan