Autoskip post processing not working on Nine HD

Started by angyp, November 30, 2015, 08:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angyp

I assume that the post processing doesn't work on MPEG4 transmissions?  Lame

ChrisW

I was wondering the same thing.

I did test recordings of 9HD on the Skippa and Beyonwiz due to possible recording issues reported by others.

The recording was ok however it showed a ! where the ad-skip-processsed icon normally appears on the Recordings list.

Heideho

I actually ignore the skip ad option when I'm watching recordings  as I found it was unreliably skipping throughout a show and I was missing parts of the program. It's a nice to have feature when it works but wasn't my main reason for purchasing.
Brisbane

Dave at IceTV

AutoSkip does not work on recordings from channels broadcast in MPEG4 (like 9HD)

When the Skippa's manufacturer was integrating IceTV's AutoSkip technology into the Skippa's software they appear to have not considered that Australia may eventually get some digital TV channels broadcasting in MPEG4. As the manufacturer is no longer trading in Australia and has no business relationship with the new IceTV company there won't be any software updates to make AutoSkip work on MPEG4 recordings.

You can still record your favourite network Nine shows with functioning AutoSkip by recording the show on Nine, on channel 9 or 91 (8 or 81 for Nine's affiliate channels like NBN and WIN).

If you really want to record your Nine network shows in HD you can still use the configurable manual skip buttons and/or the fast-forward/rewind buttons to avoid watching ads in any 9HD recording.

To prevent your Nine network shows from recording on 9HD see the following:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/98183408-AutoSkip-not-working-on-9HD-recordings

cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Heideho

Brisbane

bodogbodog

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 02, 2015, 03:34:08 PM
AutoSkip does not work on recordings from channels broadcast in MPEG4 (like 9HD)

Can't say I'm not disappointed with this news however in reality no other PVR offers automated skipping of adverts anyway - and there is a workaround by recording the SD stream

I guess we're going to keep discovering these sorts of things as we progress along our Skippa journey

Since I starting using my second Skippa which does not have the freezing problems of my original unit I have been impressed with it - only disappointing aspect at the moment is the DLNA performance for navigating content when streaming across my network from my Home Server (by comparison to my old Beyonwiz DP-2) - the streaming itself works fine
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: bodogbodog on December 03, 2015, 08:28:21 AM
Since I starting using my second Skippa which does not have the freezing problems of my original unit I have been impressed with it - only disappointing aspect at the moment is the DLNA performance for navigating content when streaming across my network from my Home Server (by comparison to my old Beyonwiz DP-2) - the streaming itself works fine

The old DP series Beyonwiz PVRs were brilliant for browsing networks shares, and creating a playlist of favourites to play later. Only problem was the only videos they played really well were avi files. Some mp4s and mkvs played okay but you couldn't skip or rewind or pause very well.

DLNA streaming is much better than browsing folders on network shares if you have a decent media server that indexes and lists your media nicely and correctly. If your Home Server can run Plex Server that is definitely the way to go, since the Skippa can run Plex media client via the Opera TV Store's URL Loader.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

bodogbodog

Thanks Dave - my Windows Home Server (which is getting a little long in the tooth (like a lot of us!)) has Twonky Media for DNLA services so I will have a play with that
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

TimC

Maybe we could get the website and Apps to default to Prefer Standard Definition.
Its the preference I always choose rather than take up the extra space on the drive needed by HD.

Alternatively allow us to choose our preferred settings
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

prl

Quote from: TimC on December 04, 2015, 11:29:02 PM
Maybe we could get the website and Apps to default to Prefer Standard Definition.
Its the preference I always choose rather than take up the extra space on the drive needed by HD.
A bit OT, but I've always wanted "Prefer HD" to mean ""Prefer the HD broadcast if it's from HD source material, not just upscaled SD".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

TimC

Quote from: prl on December 05, 2015, 10:46:12 AM
A bit OT, but I've always wanted "Prefer HD" to mean ""Prefer the HD broadcast if it's from HD source material, not just upscaled SD".

Nice trick if you can find it.

I also make an observation on Nines HD an SD simulcast for the cricket.
Either my eyes have gone blurry the SD broadcast was of a lower definition than they usually broadcast.

However when I looked at the HD channel via the Yellow RCA socket of the PVR (i.e. HD downscaled to SD locally by the PVR) the image was much clearer than the Nine SD broadcast.

The HD image was definitely superior to the SD, however I suspect a bit of marketing was involved. i.e. degrade the SD image a bit to make the HD look better.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: TimC on December 04, 2015, 11:29:02 PM

Alternatively allow us to choose our preferred settings

The way it supposed to work is:

• If you click on a show on an SD channel then set a series recording it should default to "Prefer SD".
  • If you click on a show on a HD channel then set a series recording it should default to "Prefer HD".
The Android app works like this.

The website seems to cache the settings you last viewed if you didn't save the series. When I click on a HD show and view the preferences, then back out without saving the series, then when I click on an SD show it still has the 'prefer HD' showing from the previous HD series that I didn't finish setting. This behaviour seems to carry over to viewing existing series recordings' settings as well (where what you see is not always what is set in the background).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

prl

That's not how it works on the Web page (I just tried it). It pre-selects "Prefer HD" whether I ask it to record SBS or SBS HD.

It works as you describe on the Android app (v1.28).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on December 07, 2015, 07:35:02 PM
That's not how it works on the Web page (I just tried it). It pre-selects "Prefer HD" whether I ask it to record SBS or SBS HD.

It works as you describe on the Android app (v1.28).

It always seems to default to Prefer High Def on the iPhone app. I have a vague recollection of this being a setting some time ago.