So it begins...

Started by ncaross, February 26, 2007, 08:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncaross

Vista has been stable for a while now - way more than 2005 MCE.

But now I've come home and found SBS isn't working. In the Edit Channels there are several listings for SBS - but all of them say no signal. The main one jumped from channel 3 to 8.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The guide listing is there.

I'm sick of not being able to rely on Media Center.

padster2000

Hehe... I hear you mate. I'm constantly trying to justify it to my wife, but it seems that another problem crops up every week and I'm running out of excuses. The problem is that conceptually it should be great and that's what keeps me trying...

I had this issue in MCE2005 when I was fiddling around a bit attempting to move channels around and scan new ones in, etc. The order got all mucked up and even the "reset to default" option didn't, well, reset to default and you'd expect it to. Unfortunately i didn't fix it, because this coincided with MCE2005 crashing a bit so I decided to install VISTA instead of re-installing MCE2005, so I can't help you I'm afraid.

If you find out a solution make sure you post it because I'm sure it will happen to most us...

Daniel Hall at IceTV

One thing we have found is that changing the channel order can cause this to happen.

It would be worthwhile setting up again, and this time just disable the channels that you don't want via the "Edit Channels" option, and don't change the channel order, just assign the listings via "Add Listings to Channel" and see whether or not you have problems with channels after a day or two.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

mbedford

Tell me about it! I had MCE 2005 setup so nice for about 6 months no problems (took me a while to get to that stage though) and now on the TV side of things Vista has been a complete pain!

The latest kick in the teeth is that half of my channels say 'No TV signal' and the other half the channels stop and stutter!

timble

Yes, I am also having problems with SBS. Doesn't happen every night, but when it does, it's always between 11 and 11:30pm. I'm in Newcastle and thought it might be something to do with the local transmission. Anybody? Would it be worth quizzing SBS Master Control about the issue?

As I type this (11:30pm) , I've just checked the Guide and Bingo! my SBS Channel 3 has disappeared and it's replaced with SBS HD on channel 1 (No Data Available) and SBS DIGITAL 2 on channel 4 (No Data Available.)

Daniel, your thoughts, plus anybody else's would be greatly appreciated.

I've read people talk about PID in relation to disappearing channels but need a clear explanation from somebody.

Cheers,

Tim

psychonaut

Oddly enough I had something similar just happened to me. Suddenly I had 3 SBS stations in my guide.

Under "Change Channel Order" SBS has moved into 3rd, 4th and 5th spots by itself and unblocked themselves

I've just re-ordered them back to how they were, rebooted and all seems fine now.

Edit : I'm running PIMP if it matters

ncaross

I **[[[[REALLY]]]]** don't want to run through set up again. I haven't touched the channel order for a fortnight - when it was all set up.

Wasn't there a problem in Melbourne where SBS stopped working and it was because of the guide data being wrong? I'm in postcode 2060 if that helps.

I've been recommending Media Center to everyone for years now, but the fact this sort of thing is still happening in Vista makes that near impossible. How do you tell someone to spend 2 to 5 grand on a Media Center that, when it f**ks up, requires the sort of hacking we discuss here.

At least Neighbours is recording and the wife is happy. But for how long. I only want to watch bloody Top Gear :o(

psychonaut

Quote from: timble on February 27, 2007, 11:37:42 PM
Doesn't happen every night, but when it does, it's always between 11 and 11:30pm.

Well i'm in Perth and my SBS channels have just jumped again and it happened between 9 and 9:30pm which is odd considering the 2 hour time difference.

This time I had SBS digital radio jump into 3rd spot and channel 7 uncheck itself.

ncaross

I just bit the bullet and scanned for more channels again. At about 50%, all the SBS channels disappeared from the list so I can't even see what's on in the guide anymore.

ncaross

Deleted everything and started from scratch. Had the weird problem of random, rapid control movement while setting up iceguide4mce.exe but, after a reboot, ran through everything again and am fully working. I am not amused. If people spending $4000 on a dedicated Media Center are susceptible to this then people shouldn't be buying Vista MCs - lucky I built mine.