IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoadie

I started using IceTV when there were legal issues around the provision of EPG data in the mid to late 2000s. I had been using an XMLTV grabber for my Sage HTTV setup and Channel 9 managed to use legal threats to stop my (free) service provider so I moved to IceTV purely for the data. It was much more reliable (as you'd hope, as a fee-paying service) and added additional features such as the weekly emails etc. The widgets, web guide etc were next to no use to me as Sage wouldn't talk to IceTV as such. I was happy to pay a subscription for many many years, until 2012 when I bought a Humax PVR with lifetime TV guide.

I still have the Humax and now a Skippa, and I'm more than happy to pay a subscription because I'm able to reliably set series recordings, now days use the web guide and iPhone app for recordings and it gives me a consistent interface across different brands of PVRs.

The ease of use, especially with the female members of the household, make it worth it.

I hear the arguments that in this day and age no-one is watching FTA TV, Internet TV is the future et al. I get that - i have both Netflix and Stan accounts, watch between 5-10hrs a week content across both services, but most of my viewing is recorded current Australian content (I'll reluctantly admit that The Biggest Loser is one such show). TBL excepted, there's still a lot of quality content on FTA. Oh and right now, I'm playing back last night's recording of Rage.

bodogbodog

Quote from: warkus on October 18, 2015, 03:07:46 PM
If anyone is in WA and want me to look at their faulty skippa I'm happy to help.
Mark - given the size of the unit making it easy to post and limited numbers in the market I suspect you might get takers from further afield
What sort of things are you thinking you can fix?
At this stage I suspect for most of us a new firmware release that provides stability is what we're really after
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

furbies

I too have been an IceTV subscriber for several years.

And as I have 8 (?) months left on my current subscription, I too would like for IceTV to come out with some sort of deal for those of us who have months left on our (now defunct) subscription. I renewed my last 12 months subscription a couple of months in advance.

I'd also vote for being able to buy a block of 3 months at a time.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: bodogbodog on October 18, 2015, 03:40:15 PM
At this stage I suspect for most of us a new firmware release that provides stability is what we're really after

For those looking for a firmware update to fix their Skippa's issues see:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/97066117-How-to-update-the-software-from-a-USB-stick
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

vader1111

The biggest disappointment for me has been the lack of information coming from IceTV.  The only information I've received directly was the email sent out by the administrators.  The only way I discovered that the IceTV guide & reservation service was back online was when I saw an article on TVTonight.  I would have thought that getting the news out to the customers would have been a high priority, as soon as the system was "live" once again.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 18, 2015, 04:34:27 PM
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/97066117-How-to-update-the-software-from-a-USB-stick

Thanks Dave - any indication of what it specifically fixes/introduces?
I'm guessing it does NOT allow Skippa to access the FTA guide  ???
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)

hoadie

Quote from: bodogbodog on October 18, 2015, 04:44:59 PM
Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 18, 2015, 04:34:27 PM

Thanks Dave - any indication of what it specifically fixes/introduces?
I'm guessing it does NOT allow Skippa to access the FTA guide  ???

I've just installed it and I am 99.99% sure that's a no with regards to accessing the FTA guide.

BTW, thanks Dave, it went on without a fuss. I'm hoping this will fix the issues with AutoSkip being stuck on the same recording since the 11th.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: geoffmic on October 17, 2015, 04:35:07 PM
My Automatic Renewal starts on the 22nd October.
Do I cancel and wait for the $7.99 charges to start?

Hi Geoff,

I've extended your subscription a bit to keep you going until we get the payment gateway setup.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

The investor is risking a lot of his family's money to resurrect the business. To be able to provide yearly subscriptions would require another $250,000 be deposited with their bank as security for unused service provision. When the original IceTV was first founded in 2005 it also started with only monthly subscriptions, with the option of yearly subscriptions becoming available after about 3 years of steady trading. So annual subscriptions won't be available for a while.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

bodogbodog

Quote from: hoadie on October 18, 2015, 04:50:22 PM
I've just installed it and I am 99.99% sure that's a no with regards to accessing the FTA guide.

I'm 100% sure  ;D

I'll be interested to hear from others on how they find stability with this version
I find when Skippa is busy working on auto skip processing it can become very unresponsive and exhibit unpredictable behaviour - maybe it's just my unit....

GXK

Thanks for the skippa firmware update. I have just installed it and am hopeful that this version will do the trick.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Paul55 on October 18, 2015, 12:19:59 PM
Quote from: jim szabo on October 18, 2015, 12:16:59 PM
Hi Dave i contacted 'mark.everingham@tphinsolvency.com.au' as you suggested with no reply & contacted David Dargie from NAS Australia for a replacement SKIPPA who was unable to help.
My question is what do i do with a faulty Skippa
regards Jim Szabo :-[

I think your only option now is to wait until the administration process is complete. Or maybe you could contact UEC, the company that is holding the Skippas - though I'd be surprised if they were any help.

Correct. Wait and see what the administrator's report contains.

The chances are probably zero that the manufacturer will honor the warranty as UEC has ceased all business in Australia and NAS did not take up the Skippa distribution and servicing (as a commercially viable proposition to IceTV). Both of which contributed to IceTV's Voluntary Administration.

Depending on what is actually wrong with your Skippa you may find that warkus is able to repair it for a reasonable cost, or the latest software update may solve your problem.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Eelsfan05

So when will existing customers be cancelled?

Mr_Q

Quote from: Eaglehawk on October 17, 2015, 12:52:55 AM
How about a month's subscription for every year of lost fees from the previous entity? Keep us happy in my opinion and cash should still flow. If you're worried about the initial months, then rebate us later.
+1
Something like every 12th month free for existing customers would be a great way to reward loyalty.

Given that any customers not using this forum will have so far only have had the email from the administrators I'd suggest an email from the new IceTV explaining what's happening might be a good idea too.

Paul55

Quote from: Mr_Q on October 18, 2015, 10:01:54 PM
Given that any customers not using this forum will have so far only have had the email from the administrators I'd suggest an email from the new IceTV explaining what's happening might be a good idea too.

I'm no expert in these matters, but maybe all correspondence must come from the administrators while IceTV is under their control.