Random Reboot while changing channels

Started by Mantorok, October 08, 2015, 08:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mantorok

I'm not sure what value there is in posting this bug given that the company is in Voluntary Administration but here goes...

About 4 times now my Skippa has rebooted itself while I was changing channels.  The most recent one was last night several hours after installing the latest firmware (1.1.10600).  It's also happened once when turning on Closed Captions.

Anyone else getting this behavior?

BTW, I'm in Melbourne using the Mt Dandenong towers (in case its something do to with the signal).

IanL-S

I use the same transmitter; I have not notice this but I did have a jam after loading the new firmware. Unplugging the power and leaving it for 5 minutes seems to have fixed the problem. But I use it as backup at this stage so my usage has not been intensive.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Mantorok

I got an "Out of Memory" error when I tried updating the firmware the first time.  Tried it again and it worked but it wouldn't reboot.  I ended up pulling the power plug.

Mantorok

I think this reboot issue might happen when Digital Audio is set to Dolby Digital. After setting it I got two reboots within a couple of minutes of each other. Each time I was changing channels from channel ONE (a HD channel) to an SD channel

After changing it back to PCM I haven't yet got a reboot.

Mantorok

Got another reboot last night so it doesn't seem to be related to the Digital Audio setting.   :-\

angyp

I have experienced the same thing "crashing during channel change". I am on the latest firmware 1.1.10600. The only thing I have changed from default is the output resolution currently set to 1080i. I'm not sure what I should set it to. I would have preferred to have an auto option so it just passed through what is being transmitted. I  do understand that this may cause channel changing delay while the TV re-syncs but would still like to let the TV do the work.

bodogbodog

I've had this one - clearly not every time I change channel but it was a bit daunting
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Mantorok on October 08, 2015, 08:45:30 AM
About 4 times now my Skippa has rebooted itself while I was changing channels.  The most recent one was last night several hours after installing the latest firmware (1.1.10600).  It's also happened once when turning on Closed Captions.

Anyone else getting this behavior?

BTW, I'm in Melbourne using the Mt Dandenong towers (in case its something do to with the signal).

If Mt Dandenong retransmits to the Melbourne channels it could be related to the new simulcast channels from Nine on 91, 92 and 93.

Check your channel settings for Nine Digital, GEM and GO! here:
https://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmembers.cgi

Maybe do a manual Scan for the Nine network frequency on the Skippa.

Also worth having a look at:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/97066117-How-to-update-the-software-from-a-USB-stick
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Mantorok

Hi Dave,

I upgraded to 1.1.10604 last night which seemed to go smoothly.

I then did a "manual" scan for channel 9 (Frequency 191667) as you suggested and it did find the new simulcast channels.  However there was an unintended side effect:  All the other channels disappeared.  I had to do a complete "automatic" scan to get everything back.  Be warned anyone contemplating a manual channel scan.

Today I also got that "purple screen of death" where the Skippa won't come out of standby (just displays a purple screen) and the time on the front of the unit was stuck on 11:13.

So far no reboots while changing channels though.

Mantorok

Just got my first reboot while changing channels since installing 1.1.10604.

I still suspect its related to the HD channels somehow as I was changing to SBS HD at the time.  Perhaps something to do with transitioning from SD to HD or vice versa....maybe when the Skippa is under load as mine was AutoSkip scanning a recording at the same time.