IceTv in Voluntary Administarion

Started by emmsee, October 07, 2015, 05:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heideho

I suppose you're getting that news because you didn't receive your Skippa? I received mine but have heard nothing about this except what I've discovered here. I only came here to find out about firmware updates.
Brisbane

Heideho

Quote from: NBOSTI on October 09, 2015, 11:44:02 PM
I was never going to buy a Skippa, (my mac mini set-up has given me 4 tuners for years),..

So how does the Mac Mini setup work? I've thought about those at various times but stuck with my Topfields until Skippa showed up. Are the tuners built in or are they add-ons and if added what's the situation with those please?
Brisbane

csutak40

Quote from: Dan9477 on October 10, 2015, 11:40:26 AM
I think we've had more communication from the liquidators in the last few days than we have from ice tv since skippas conception  :-[

The communication is not from the liquidators, it is from the staff, who are working without pay ATM, so a bit of appreciation wouldn't go astray.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

emmsee

G'day Judy,
I think you'll find that Dan9477 is referring to the 4 emails we've received from the Administrators in the past 6 days,  not Dave's responses to posts  on the forum. If you've already got your Skippa,  you won't have received the Administrators emails.

Paul55

Is the total demise of IceTV a foregone conclusion or is the subscription service still a viable business as it seems to have been for many years.
All indications are that Heinz has flown the coop after his grandiose hardware experiment seems to have brought the company to its knees. I hope this perception is wrong, but it is consistent with the behaviour of entrepreneurs and 'visionaries' when things go wrong.
Unfortunately, it looks like the harsh critics and sceptics questioning the integrity of the IceTV management may have been correct. I have been a long time supporter, subscriber and defender of IceTV over many years, so I hope the naysayers are eventually proved wrong. At best it is yet another example of pathetic communication - at worst criminal deceit to keep promising product and taking money from customers.
I wish luck to the Skippa buyers, but suspect the best outcome will be cutting the Skippa away and trying to continue the subscription service as a viable business.
Good luck to the fine staff who have provided the EPG service so many of us value highly.

peteru

I don't see how the EPG could be viable proposition. All the existing customers are a liability, not an asset, because they expect to receive service (in some cases for many more years) without generating any additional revenue for the company.

Time to wake up and smell the manure under the withered roses.

IanL-S

Quote from: peteru on October 11, 2015, 02:38:20 PM
I don't see how the EPG could be viable proposition. All the existing customers are a liability, not an asset, because they expect to receive service (in some cases for many more years) without generating any additional revenue for the company.

There are considerable problems. While it is possible to sell the assets, without transferring the obligation to provide EPG and Interactive services, it will make it difficult to get 'existing' subscribers to pay for something they rightly consider that they have already paid for. Not sure how many subscribers have more than 12 month subscription to IceTV service (excluding those that have one device 'lifetime' subscription). There may well be some creative mechanism to keep the service going but it is likely be cash flow negative for some. We can only wait and see what happens.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

bodogbodog

Quote from: IanL-S on October 11, 2015, 03:07:24 PM
There may well be some creative mechanism to keep the service going but it is likely be cash flow negative for some. We can only wait and see what happens
I think any ongoing offer is going to be for "new subscriptions" for a new service  - the current ones are IMHO dead in the water as anyone taking on the provision of an IceTV replacement EPG must be able to generate income from a subscriber base
Whether that comes to pass is well and truly up in the air
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Paul55

Quote from: peteru on October 11, 2015, 02:38:20 PM

You are quite possibly right Peter. But there must be an army of Toppy/Humax/Beyonwiz DP (and, according to the Beyonwiz forum, many T) series owners who will crave the IceTV experience under any name. One would think the software/hardware/staff system would be available as a mature, running concern for a song with all the development complete for current PVRs.
I know you have significant history with IceTV - some of it impressive and some far from positive - and a significant interest in T series Beyonwiz, but there has to be a 'nice little earner' opportunity for a savvy service provision company. After all, not every business has to grow massively to produce a steady return.
A lot of people are going to suffer to varying degrees if the EPG service falls over.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Paul55 on October 11, 2015, 04:05:56 PM
But there must be an army of Toppy/Humax/Beyonwiz DP (and, according to the Beyonwiz forum, many T) series owners who will crave the IceTV experience under any name
and let me add to that list many Windows Media Center users as well (albeit for as long as Win7 and Win8 last given that Microsoft have already abandoned Windows Media Center)
and as far as I know they/we have no other guide options in Australia
Update: - I saw this thread on Whirlpool on options for Windows Media Center if IceTV guide doesn't survive so Win Media Center uses may want to keep an eye on that @ http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2458187

My bet would be that despite losing the value of the current subscriptions there would be many who would be interested in subscribing to a replacement guide - I know I would just for the WAF alone

I'm getting too old for "fiddling" around with technology - I just want it to work...
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

prl

I regard my pre-paid subscription as gone, no matter what happens. I'd be happy to continue on as a new subscriber, though, if that were to turn out to be possible.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Chopsus

I think there may be potential in monetizing the EPG itself through advertising ... At least on newer units running the ICE EPG.

csutak40

Quote from: emmsee on October 11, 2015, 10:22:46 AM
G'day Judy,
I think you'll find that Dan9477 is referring to the 4 emails we've received from the Administrators in the past 6 days,  not Dave's responses to posts  on the forum. If you've already got your Skippa,  you won't have received the Administrators emails.

Oops, sorry.  I have cancelled my Skippa before the s**t completely hit the fan and got a refund, so I got no letter from the Administrators.  Although, in a sense, I am still among the creditors as I have a subscription till 2020  :P
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Quote from: bodogbodog on October 11, 2015, 04:28:54 PM

My bet would be that despite losing the value of the current subscriptions there would be many who would be interested in subscribing to a replacement guide - I know I would just for the WAF alone

I'm getting too old for "fiddling" around with technology - I just want it to work...

That is exactly how I feel.  As much as it would go against the grain to pay for something I have already paid for, I would consider doing that if that would facilitate the EPG service continuing.
Cheers,
Judy

IanL-S

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help