Harmony remotes and Skippa

Started by injidup, June 15, 2015, 01:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

Quote from: Paul55 on August 08, 2015, 07:26:58 AM

Why not use Kodi?

The simple answer is - because I have never heard of them.  That is why I said, I will have to research to find a replacement.  Thank you for the suggestion.  BTW, can that be used with IceTV?
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

csutak40

Quote from: raymondjpg on August 08, 2015, 11:14:43 AM

Kodi is hardly a PVR, more LiveTV, and certainly not ICE enabled or Ice Interactive like WMC. Others have asked IceTV for an Ice Interactive alternative to WMC without any success so far.
;D  I should have kept reading, before answering the previous post  :D

Microsoft is fond of pushing its more recent versions of Windows on consumers, but the general opinion is that every other version is a lemon. So Windows 8 users might benefit from an update to Windows 10, but hardly Windows 7 users. Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft beyond 2020, and nothing that I have seen of Windows 10 (I have the first release installed in a Virtual Machine as an update to the Technical Preview) would persuade me to relinquish Windows 7 in favour of it.
Yeah, I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but I suppose, if I want a free upgrade, I'll have to do it in the next 12 months.  :-)

However, I have lots of friends who have jumped in - some was under the impression that they had to do it immediately, or miss out.
Cheers,
Judy

Klink1313

Just set up my Harmony. Interesting to note that Favourites command can't be assigned to a key on the Harmony remote (not listed) - only one though so thats a very good result.

Will have to "learn" this command when I received the Skippa remote.

Cables set up in my cabinet just sitting there forlornly, remote all set up but unable to perform, just waiting for Skippa - then plug in antenna, HDMI, Network, power and - Thunderbirds are go.........plus learn the Favourites command.

raymondjpg

Quote from: csutak40 on August 08, 2015, 02:52:12 PMHowever, I have lots of friends who have jumped in - some was under the impression that they had to do it immediately, or miss out.
I don't know what they think they are missing out on. If they haven't looked at the OS before updating they are getting a pig in a poke. As I said before, an upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 might have some appeal, but I can't see that Microsoft would be offering a "free" upgrade to Windows 7 users for the users' benefit.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Paul55 on August 08, 2015, 07:26:58 AMWhy not use Kodi? It's free and has the PVR function. Then you don't have to worry about maintaining an outdated and, ultimately, unsupported version of Windows.
Kodi is hardly a PVR, more LiveTV, and certainly not ICE enabled or Ice Interactive like WMC. Others have asked IceTV for an Ice Interactive alternative to WMC without any success so far.

Kodi (XBMC) needs a PVR backend to work and even then it can't set series recordings. The best PVR backend for Kodi is Windows Media Center (with IceTV of course). So unless you really like tinkering with computer settings you may as well forget Kodi and stick with Media Center 7 or 8.1
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: bodogbodog on August 07, 2015, 06:57:47 PM
I cant see how I will be able to switch between LIVE and Recorded TV - as I currently do on my Beyonwiz  - no commands on the Harmony look like they will do that

The My Rec button takes you straight to your recordings. From there, the exit button returns you to live TV.

Quote from: bodogbodog on August 07, 2015, 06:57:47 PM
The other thing to do to get ready for Skippa is to set up all your programmes and series in IceTV to record on skippa - its a good way to see if the three tuners are going to cope with all your recording requirements.

Skippa will create a new device in your account (even if you give it the same device name as an existing device) so don't waste too much time setting up series recordings for skippa in your account (unless you are prepared to copy them across to the Skippa later).

You will also need an empty device spot in your account for skippa to set itself up in. If you only have 4 or less devices now you won't need to worry about this.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

csutak40

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on August 09, 2015, 01:08:12 AM

You will also need an empty device spot in your account for skippa to set itself up in. If you only have 4 or less devices now you won't need to worry about this.

This is just an  academic question, doesn't affect me, but I'm confused.  ???  If you're getting a separate account for the Skippa, then why do you need an empty device spot in your original subscription?  What am I missing?
Cheers,
Judy

Paul55

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on August 09, 2015, 12:59:53 AM
Kodi (XBMC) needs a PVR backend to work and even then it can't set series recordings.

Thanks for that Dave. I was probably underestimating the effort needed to set up Kodi as a PVR. However, I was also under the impression that Kodi can use XMLTV which, I believe, is available to Ice subscribers - including the repeat flag.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on August 09, 2015, 01:08:12 AMThe My Rec button takes you straight to your recordings. From there, the exit button returns you to live TV
Thanks Dave
I need it as simple as possible - the WAF depends on that  ;D
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

JPP

The My Rec button takes you straight to your recordings. From there, the exit button returns you to live TV.
Dave, does the My Rec button also allow you to seamlessly see your recordings on a second Skippa? If not, what is the simplest way to see all your Skippas (plural) recordings on the one place/screen?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: JPP on August 09, 2015, 01:04:39 PM
Dave, does the My Rec button also allow you to seamlessly see your recordings on a second Skippa? If not, what is the simplest way to see all your Skippas (plural) recordings on the one place/screen?

It is not possible to see multiple device's recordings in one menu or list. The recordings for the Skippa you are controlling with the remote will be listed in My Recs. The recordings for other DLNA devices (including a 2nd Skippa) will be listed in the Media menu.

Menu > Media > Network > Skippa2

See pages 47 to 50 in the manual. skippa.tv/manual
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

injidup

Harmony Remotes - 30% off at JBHifi until Weds 7th October