ozskippa wiki and Skippa forum

Started by IanL-S, September 26, 2015, 01:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

Some good new SKIPPA users. :)

IceTV Tech support agree that we need a more structured Forum for discussion of issues relating to the SKIPPA. At this stage there is no ETA for the expanded Forum. I suspect it will not be happening immediately, or even yesterday ;).

While an enhanced Forum will be very useful in organising content, a wiki is a better way of aggregating community knowledge about a particular subject: if you are interested in the sort of thing that can be done you can check out the http://oztoppy.wikidot.com/.

It took me a while to get an appropriate name for a wiki dealing with the IceTV SKIPPA. I thought it best to avoid the use of "Ice" given the drug related connotations. I settled on ozskippa. The wiki will not go live for a week or so. I am a novice in setting up such a wiki so please be understanding if it takes longer than I anticipate.

Ian

At present there is no public access to the wiki site ... ozskippa.wiki.com

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

warkus

JPP

As someone once said, your blood is worth bottling Ian  8). - many thanks.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

IanL-S

Quote from: JPP on September 26, 2015, 03:01:20 PM
As someone once said, your blood is worth bottling Ian  8). - many thanks.

Quote from: warkus on September 26, 2015, 02:13:07 PM
Well done Ian, great work!

Mark

The congratulations may be premature .... but much appreciated.

Ian

PS I will post in this thread when the wiki goes live .........................
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

warkus

Coldasice, the T series Beyonwiz was plagued with issues at the beginning with many very very unhappy people who didn't want to be beta testers, the units were for lack of a better way to put it, CRAP.

Extremely poor firmware at the time of release and hundreds of bugs discovered... There isn't a single person here that knows anything about Beyonwiz machines that would dispute this fact I assure you...Many of the bugs still exist today...

BUT...

The people on the wiz forum have honestly worked very hard to eradicate a huge number of those bugs to a point where the unit is pretty much an entirely different machine to that when it was released. Often it's hard to pinpoint bugs until mass testing is carried out by way of people purchasing the units to make the test group big enough to find them...

There is nothing to say that this can't happen here, if any firmware issues are found they can be fixed in theory and with firmware already having been released since the unit hit the market over the weekend, it looks very promising that firmware will continue to be updated regularly...

Hope so anyway...

warkus

Adding to that...

Even if the Skippa is or was I should say entirely bug free, a wiki is still a fantastic idea, it's not just about bugs...

It helps people find information on the unit, how to do different things, guides, etc

Look at the oztoppy wiki that Ian references, it's a huge array of info about them, it's not just a bugs list...

Mark

bodogbodog

Quote from: warkus on September 26, 2015, 10:17:07 PMOften it's hard to pinpoint bugs until mass testing is carried out by way of people purchasing the units to make the test group big enough to find them...
Mark
The sooner you get your Skippa the better - then you too can experience it firsthand and make your own call on the state of the unit
These aren't issues that are difficult to replicate and if ANY reasonable degree of use and testing had occurred I would be very surprised if they weren't discovered
Maybe it's just me but the thought of releasing say 1000 units into the market with IMHO significant issues seems a risky strategy
Hopefully the system updates come quickly to resolve issues
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

warkus

yep, just to clarify I am under no false illusions that I'm going to get it an its going to be perfect and work whereas yours is not...

Never suggested that for a second so please don't think that... I know what to expect and would doubt my experience will be any different to anyone else here... It has to arrive first of all, and based on the fact that its a long weekend here id say it will be at least Tuesday before that happens.

The comments above are for Coldasice who has gone to look at the T3 Wiz, and I was merely ensuring that he/she was aware that exactly the same thing happened there...

Hundreds of machines released with very buggy software, but over time the people on the wiz forum have helped to crush a huge number of those bugs making the unit an entirely different machine to that initially released. So there is nothing to say that this cannot happen here is all I'm saying... As long as firmware development is ongoing and proactive, then things are good... If it stops, that's when things are not so good...

Time will tell.

IanL-S

We are getting a bit off topic here, but it appears that the software engineers are working hard to fix bugs as they are identified. I have had the unit since Friday and since the initial firmware update when setting up the SKIPPA there have been two more released. This is much quicker turnaround than you will see with some other brands such as Topfield.

Ian
Synology NAS

bodogbodog

Quote from: IanL-S on September 27, 2015, 10:48:32 AM
We are getting a bit off topic here, but it appears that the software engineers are working hard to fix bugs as they are identified
Could be because they don't have a shortage of bugs to choose from...
I'll keep posting mine in the Bug thread - just got home after leaving Skippa alone for a couple of hours and got the "Purple Screen of Death" like someone else on these forums reported - then a spontaneous reboot while the unit was well advanced on rebooting. So at the moment I have a PVR that can't stay operational and can't stream media, not what I signed up for...
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

stretch4x4

Well I see they have divided up the forums  8)

I was using my bookmark on my phone to check skippa general all day thinking it was very quiet.. Turns out there has been heaps of posts in the other sub forums  :o

IanL-S

Quote from: stretch4x4 on September 29, 2015, 10:53:17 PM
Well I see they have divided up the forums  8)

I was using my bookmark on my phone to check skippa general all day thinking it was very quiet.. Turns out there has been heaps of posts in the other sub forums  :o

Yes, I too was surprised. The possibility of doing this was only raised late last week.

Now all I have to do is get working on the wiki.

Ian
Synology NAS