Skippa not accessing internet

Started by carmal8, September 28, 2015, 08:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carmal8

My new Skippa arrived last week and I attempted to set it up over the weekend. All good to begin with except it won't connect to my internet. I have tried every conceivable thing and today I thought I would try a manual setup but now the whole machine is frozen. I have unplugged from the mains (neither the remote nor the power button would respond) and tried all over again. It doesn't bring up the onscreen keyboard and is utterly useless. I have sent several messages in the past 24 hours to Ice but still waiting for a response. Normally I have heard back from them very promptly when I had problems with my Topfield TRF2400 (which is now working well thank you)  but on the Skippa questions I seem to be drawing a blank. I suspect I have a dud unit but would be happy to be corrected.

Leon K

Hi Carmal8,

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with your new SKIPPA!

Do you have the WIFI antenna connected securely? Could you please try power cycling once more for 20 seconds and then booting up and trying to connect to the WIFI again. If it doesn't connect, could you let us know the message it displays - and also reply to the message Dave sent you from the support system so that we can further investigate the possibility of a hardware fault.

Cheers,
Leon

bodogbodog

Quote from: Leon K on September 28, 2015, 09:16:35 PM
Do you have the WIFI antenna connected securely?

Leon - just interested if you need to have the WiFi antenna attached if you are using wired Ethernet? I haven't bothered adding the antenna to mine as its hardwired to the LAN
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Leon K

Quote from: bodogbodog on September 28, 2015, 09:24:42 PM
Quote from: Leon K on September 28, 2015, 09:16:35 PM
Do you have the WIFI antenna connected securely?

Leon - just interested if you need to have the WiFi antenna attached if you are using wired Ethernet? I haven't bothered adding the antenna to mine as its hardwired to the LAN

Hey bodogbodog,

Nope only if using the built in WIFI, if you're using a LAN cable, you're pretty much good to go right off the bat.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Leon K on September 28, 2015, 11:09:35 PM
Nope only if using the built in WIFI, if you're using a LAN cable, you're pretty much good to go right off the bat.
Thanks and yes at least for networking I've had no issues connecting
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

carmal8

Hi Leon yes I have tried every which way possible. The antenna is securely attached and as I mentioned in my last post the machine now seems to be frozen as it doesn't respond to any command from the remote nor can I turn it off on the power switch on the unit. I have to disconnect from the mains and restart. Even then once it has booted up and come to the Ice screen with the Network setup button it won't respond. I can't get the onscreen keyboard or anything else. I strongly suspect there is a fault with the unit. So where to now?

IanL-S

Clearly not what should happen. There could be a physical fault with the unit, or there may be a firmware corruption issue.

Leon: Is there a simple way of recovering from firmware corruption for a SKIPPA. With Toppys you can do so using USB stick and firmware installation file renamed to "update.tfd" and with a little bit of wiggling you can install a new copy of the firmware.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

It seems this WiFi connection issue was a bug in the original software version. After updating the software on the OP's Skippa to 1.1.10600 the WiFi connected right away.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service