Skippa User Experience so far

Started by Naffnick, September 24, 2015, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger

Ok thanks, so it is a common issue. Nothing to be done then but wait and hope.

Mantorok

Is it possible to rollback to the previous firmware?

IanL-S

Yes, but you have to find a copy first. Originally IceTV said they would post firmware somewhere so we could download it and install from USB stick. I suggest you lodge an on-line technical support question about this: https://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webpage.cgi?op=show_contact

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: logger on October 09, 2015, 09:29:32 AM
Likewise the Autoskip processing seems to have stalled on my box too. Not sure this is due to the firmware update two days ago, lack of something being processed IceTV side or something totally unrelated. 

My Settings area > IceTv continually reports processing a recording from 36 hours ago. So I deleted that recording, rebooted the box and it incremented on to reporting it was  processing a newer recording. But again it never seems to complete.    Are others seeing this too? 
Not surprising if something/one back office is not currently running on all 8 cylinders given the circumstances.

These issues are all symptoms of 1 bug which has been fixed in the next update that we are currently testing in 1.1.10604 to ensure no new bugs have been created.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

jas55

thanks Dave do you have a ETA on the update 
appreciate all the work you doing

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: jas55 on October 09, 2015, 12:51:44 PM
thanks Dave do you have a ETA on the update 
appreciate all the work you doing

I seem to remember it was going to be released a week after the last update.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

peteru

Given the volatility of the current situation, I would very much recommend that you make all updates available as beta releases as soon as you receive them. Let interested people download the firmware image and apply it via USB. Also provide the latest official release as a USB update so that they can roll back, if it's worse than what they had before. By all means, follow the normal testing process for a general release, but also make sure that the update gets to someone ASAP. There are two very good reasons for that:

1. You will get help testing the fix from many people, so your QA will go faster. (And those people are willing to help and understand the risks of using a beta.)

2. If the release turns out to be good, but the administrators lock you out of the building tomorrow morning, then your customers will not miss out on an update that could have eased their pain. It'll be out there.

csutak40

Quote from: peteru on October 09, 2015, 09:26:16 PM

1. You will get help testing the fix from many people, so your QA will go faster. (And those people are willing to help and understand the risks of using a beta.)

2. If the release turns out to be good, but the administrators lock you out of the building tomorrow morning, then your customers will not miss out on an update that could have eased their pain. It'll be out there.

This sounds like good advice to me :-)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

fastfill

I have had my Skippa for a couple of weeks now. Being an ex TiVo user I have been looking for a replacement for a while. After trying Humax and Beyonwiz, with no luck, I have now found the closest thing there is. With the ICEtv tv guide programing season and key word record it is a breeze. Well done worth the 4 month+ wait.
But wouldn't it be typical that the skippa project is dead. I hope someone sees the value in the box and picks up the project. Not only would I have a paperweight, we are loosing a great product that was set to do well against the big boys.
Thanks Ice Tv team for the years of service, and hope we can continue.

nis200sx

Quote from: fastfill on October 14, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
we are loosing a great product that was set to do well against the big boys.

Apparently more skippas were sold in 3 months than other brands sell in a year.

In the last software update skippa became the first PVR to make use of all the available IceTV meta data in the guide feed (Series and Episode Numbers, Year, Repeat Status, Director, Actors, Country of Origin, Language etc. as well as the regular Title, Subtitle, Synopsis, Parental Rating and Closed Captions etc).
Dave