IceBox2 and DST

Started by srto2, October 29, 2006, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srto2

Still problems in the Adelaide area.  The guide seems to be all OK now but the IceBox is 30 minutes behind, ie at 17:00 CDST the IceBox thinks it's 16:30 CDST.  This needs to be fixed or automatic daily guide fetches (in my case) will need to be rescheduled.

Cheers,
Rob

AndrewT

Was having the same problem until I rebooted the IceBox2 and performed a manual fetch,the time then will fall into sync with the Ice Guide server

srto2

Quote from: AndrewT on October 29, 2006, 10:38:53 PM
Was having the same problem until I rebooted the IceBox2 and performed a manual fetch,the time then will fall into sync with the Ice Guide server

Well, maybe for you.  I have booted and manually fetched numerous times and the Icebox2 still persists with a time indication that is 30mins behind CDST.

I know the ICE people are busy right now, but DST (as much as I dislike it) is hardly rocket science.

Come on Daniel, I can't be the only person experiencing this?

Cheers,
Rob

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Rob,

I have done some testing around all regions in Australia and for some reason it seems that its only Adelaide that is affected, not sure why at the moment. I have notified our development team about it, but in the meantime the best bet would be to set your scheduled fetch for 30 mins earlier so that it still occurs at the correct time.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

srto2

Thanks Daniel.

I imagine it has something to do with a mis-interpretation of SA's loony GMT +9.5 timezone.

Regards,
Rob

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: srto2 on October 31, 2006, 03:48:38 PM
Thanks Daniel.

I imagine it has something to do with a mis-interpretation of SA's loony GMT +9.5 timezone.

Regards,
Rob

Interestingly enough though, when checking Darwin (which is also +9.5) it worked fine (but Darwin does not have daylight savings), the weirdest part is that for some reason its actually giving back a time synch of +10, when it should really be +10.5 (i.e. +9.5 and daylight savings).
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

srto2

QuoteInterestingly enough though, when checking Darwin (which is also +9.5) it worked fine (but Darwin does not have daylight savings), the weirdest part is that for some reason its actually giving back a time synch of +10, when it should really be +10.5 (i.e. +9.5 and daylight savings).

The plot thickens a bit.  My fetches have occurred at my scheduled time of 0500 and the Ice folder also confirms that the epg files were downloaded at 0500, so it looks like only the Icebox time display on the info page that's stuffed up.

Regards,
Rob

peteru

The IceBox2 firmware was designed to be UTC only to avoid any DST or time zone related issues. The log page even warns about this:

All times are in UTC - not local time.

The IceBox2 firmware does not provide an accurate or maintained time zone database, mainly because doing so in an embedded system is just too hard. Contrary to popular belief, the proper keeping of time is rocket science.

If the IceTV guide fetching software attempts to do any time zone translations (as you suggests it does), it must do so based on information available from a well maintained server. Therefore, I would suggest looking at the IceGuide server to see if it has the latest time zone database, followed by examining the logic in the guide fetching software to see what (if anything) it is doing to translate time from UTC to localtime.