Main Menu

windows 10

Started by dulfagd, July 22, 2015, 12:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dulfagd

I run Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center which works perfectly well with Ice TV. I also have a built in TV Tuner in my PC. With the advent of windows 10 and the impending demise of Windows Media Center, what other software can I run to access my TV tuner and still retain compatibility with Ice TV?

Ragdoll

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and IceTV no longer works on my computer.  That's a shame because I liked to watch TV while I was working on the computer.  Is this going to be fixed any time soon?

Leon K

Hi Guys,

Although Kodi (with MythTV / Media Portal) can use the Ice Guide XML, it does not have the ability to use the IceTV Smart Recording functions, and at the moment there is no plan for Smart Recording integration.

Best bet right now is to stick with Windows 7 / 8.1 if you can.. we are looking into it however, and hopefully we will have another solution for you in the coming months.

csutak40

A friend of mine uses Argus TV.  Apparently it supports IceTV and he schedules it to download daily to import into Argus with a batch file.  I am nearly sure he is using it with Win10

I haven't actually seen it work (and not much good with batch files  :'( )
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

bodogbodog

Quote from: Ragdoll on August 14, 2015, 12:15:30 PM
I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and IceTV no longer works on my computer.  That's a shame because I liked to watch TV while I was working on the computer.  Is this going to be fixed any time soon?
I don't think so - it was well publicised that Windows Media Center would not be offered as part of Windows 10. So nothing coming from Microsoft and IceTV is an EPG that fed into Windows Media Center (WMC)
Personally I'm keeping a Win7 system to run my WMC
You'd have to find another product to run on your PC to provide WMC functionality
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Leon K

Another solution which would work would be to install a virtual machine such as the free Virtual Box (or the paid VMWare) on your Windows 10 Machine, and then install the Windows 7 / 8.1 on the virtual machine so that you can have that window open with Media Centre running at the same time. Slightly more work, but once its up and running its effortless. Best of both worlds.

csutak40

Quote from: Leon K on August 14, 2015, 03:24:44 PM
Best of both worlds.
;D First I have to be convinced that Win10 is actually better.  From what I hear, it is an improvement on Win8, which was arguably a backward step from Win7  ::)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

nis200sx

Quote from: csutak40 on August 14, 2015, 08:23:20 PM
Quote from: Leon K on August 14, 2015, 03:24:44 PM
Best of both worlds.
;D First I have to be convinced that Win10 is actually better.

Me too. Plus nothing is free from Microsoft so I'm waiting for the catch.

Quote from: csutak40 on August 14, 2015, 08:23:20 PM
From what I hear, it is an improvement on Win8, which was arguably a backward step from Win7  ::)

Anything is an improvement on Win 8. But apparently Win 8.1 is okay. Though I'll stick with Win 7 thanks.
Dave

matmcc

Just another vote for a Kodi add-on for IceTV. 

Long time member (from 2008).  Happily using XBMC/Kodi/Media Portal Plug-in with XML feed and now on Win10. 
Interactivity would make the missus VERY happy.  :)

Eaglehawk

I thought I'd post here about this. Can't seem to find it mentioned on this forum yet.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives

It's a hack to get WMC working on Windows 10. I would try i now, but I'd prefer to not try it on my newly built i5 NUC running MediaPortal 2.

Good luck :)