Skippa Pre-Order

Started by Leon K, May 25, 2015, 12:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortical

Quote from: warkus on June 02, 2015, 10:47:15 PM
Yep fingers crossed vortical, hope these are a great unit...

As for your 7100, the issue you have is a flat battery on the front panel PCB, you need to take the front panel out as its on the front of the PCB. It's a CR2032.

It's a common issue, machines are getting old and the batteries usually only last 4 to 5 years or so max.

Mark

I actually replaced it myself with a brand new battery about 6 months ago when it first exhibited the problem.

It's now started doing it again, so perhaps there is more to it than just the battery.
It's also getting a bit noisy so I presume the HDD is on it's way too.

TBH I'm surprised it's still working.

IanL-S

wakus, this is a bit off topic, but can a flat battery result in the front display not showing anything when Toppy is in standby (TRF-2400); the odd thing is that the power button glows very brightly when in standby. The units appear to be waking up OK.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

IanL-S

Quote from: Vortical on June 02, 2015, 11:37:49 PM

It's also getting a bit noisy so I presume the HDD is on it's way too.

TBH I'm surprised it's still working.

I had all sorts of problems with my TF7100HDPVRt - failure to respond to RCU and constant HDD checking. Put in a clean 500gig HDD and it is working perfectly.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

warkus

Hi Ian,

No that's odd for a 2400, I doubt it's the battery... Possibly some fault with the front panel board, battery not likely. Hmmmmm, I have one here, I'll have a look and see what I can figure out...

Mark

warkus

Hi vortical,

You didn't happen to use one of those Energizer cheap arsed batteries when you replaced it did you or an eBay battery?

A lot of people purchase the Energizer Button Cells, they are Indonesian made and last sometimes less than 6 months, and some of the cheap eBay ones last less time. Ordinarily Energizer batteries are pretty good, but not button cells.

I use the maxwell Japanese cells, last for years... Just a thought...

As for your unit, yeah if it hasn't had a PSU rebuild, that will be right around the corner for sure and the hard drive probably not far away...

Bring on the SKIPPA!

Mark

IanL-S

Quote from: warkus on June 03, 2015, 10:34:55 AM
Hi Ian,

No that's odd for a 2400, I doubt it's the battery... Possibly some fault with the front panel board, battery not likely. Hmmmmm, I have one here, I'll have a look and see what I can figure out...

Mark

Thanks Mark. It could be a firmware issue - Topfield firmware released since March 2014 has settings corruption bug that is usually fixed by doing a second service scan after installation. It is characterised by output stuck on 576i and function keys not working in some circumstances. I have the problem on 2 of my 3 TRF-2400 and on a TRF-7260. I am certain it is a firmware bug as one unit displayed the time when it powered down yesterday; next time I powered it down just the bright red light from the power button (which is not present of the 2400 which does not have the front display problem).

Ian
Synology NAS

spinifex

Ordered one too, as the price is worth taking a chance. Would like to see a bigger hard drive though.

IanL-S

Quote from: spinifex on June 04, 2015, 02:14:44 PM
Ordered one too, as the price is worth taking a chance. Would like to see a bigger hard drive though.

Agreed. Hopefully it is possible to swap in a larger HDD. Unfortunately it appears to have a 2.5" rather than 3.5" HDD so the options will be limited.

The largest I could find by quick internet search was a 2TB WD Green for just under $200.

Ian
Synology NAS

warkus

Please oh please tell me these units DO NOT have WD Green hard drives in them, please!!!

They are cheap n nasty and are NOT suited to an AV unit like this, as is evident by the fact that I have over 200 drives here in boxes, faulty, not working, ripped out of beyonwiz machines over the last 5 years, they are appalling drives.

The number 1 cause of wiz failure for sure are those freakin drives, on par with the power supply issues.

They obviously have a purpose, as a generic Desktop hard drive, but in an AV environment, they simply don't stand up...

I can only hope and pray the skippa doesn't use them...

EdQld

Quote from: warkus on June 04, 2015, 04:10:51 PM
Please oh please tell me these units DO NOT have WD Green hard drives in them, please!!!

I can only hope and pray the skippa doesn't use them...

It probably won't get a response, but it would be nice if a IceTV Rep could let us know this is Not the HDD in the Skippa

IanL-S

Out of interest, are you referring to WD green drives or WD AV drives (which are also green)? I have a WD 2T AV drive that has been going strong for over 4 years (made is Sept 2010); I have never had problems with WD AV drives. Also have 2 1TB WD AV drives that have been in constant use for over 5 years (made in August 2009). I have had 2 Seagate AV Drives which were problematic; on died within 18 months an the other developed significant issues within three months.

Topfield seem to use 2.5" WD Blue drives in the TRF-2100; some 2400 and 2760 shipped with 2.5" Seagate Momentus HDD.

Ian
Synology NAS

Valik

When I get my Skippa, it is my first priority to make sure it works, then see if the HDD can be replaced. 1Tb isn't enough so it's the first thing I'll be replacing before recording anything essential. Expect updates if nothing comes out sooner.

IanL-S

I have been unable to find any information on 2.5" AV HDD larger than 1 TB (Western Digital and HGST both have them - could be the same drive as HGST is owned by WD). Seagate apparently do not have 1TB or larger 2.5" AV HDD.

We can only hope that the Skippa has a 3.5" rather than 2.5" HDD.

Ian
Synology NAS

injidup

Lots of thread drift on this topic!
Have just received an email from Beyonwiz to say that they have specials on refurbished T3's. The 1TB refurb costs $590, so the pre-order Skippa seems quite a bargain!
My basic BW-Lite is starting to get annoying with sound braking up on live TV and a small HDD, so am really tempted by the Skippa.
Must. Not. Spend. Too. Much. Money...

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: IanL-S on June 03, 2015, 08:04:39 AM
wakus, this is a bit off topic, but can a flat battery result in the front display not showing anything when Toppy is in standby (TRF-2400); the odd thing is that the power button glows very brightly when in standby. The units appear to be waking up OK.
Hi Ian,

The 2400 and 2460 has a standby menu option that gives you a choice of 'front display off and power button red' or 'clock on front display and power button off'.

Maybe something reset the Topfield or reset this option. Can't remember where the option is what it is called, but have a look in all of the settings and installation menus for a Standby or VFD or Front Display setting.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service