New IceTV branded PVR

Started by Mantorok, July 17, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortical

Quote from: dilbert99 on September 22, 2014, 12:07:19 PM
Is the ice tv pvr still on schedule for release in October?

http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php/topic,4256.msg19941.html#msg19941

I hope it does but it's just been so long since it was first announced on here the whole excitement about it has long gone.

csutak40

Quote from: Vortical on October 10, 2014, 10:09:16 PM
Quote from: dilbert99 on September 22, 2014, 12:07:19 PM
Is the ice tv pvr still on schedule for release in October?

http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php/topic,4256.msg19941.html#msg19941

I hope it does but it's just been so long since it was first announced on here the whole excitement about it has long gone.
Well, I'm not holding my breath!  And TBH, given all the lack of information - secrecy, I certainly wouldn't rush to buy one, even if it did  :-\
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Vortical

Well we're in November and still nothing has appeared on this device.

IanL-S

Definitely becoming too late for the Christmas market. One could be compelled to consider a Beyonwiz T3.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Such impatience! It's only been 15 months since the announcement! ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: prl on November 08, 2014, 09:14:27 AM
Such impatience! It's only been 15 months since the announcement! ;)

;D :D
Cheers,
Judy

IanL-S

Here is a question for you. Will the IceTV PVR hit the streets before another Topfield unit gets IceTV support. Heinz made a posting some time back that one of the 6000 series Toppys would get it. It was not clear if it would be a new model or an existing model. There is no official word from Topfield on their IceTV intentions. There is no indication from Topfield about forthcoming models or their plans.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

snuke

Quote from: Heinz on July 23, 2013, 08:26:02 PMAs much as we'd like to tap into the Christmas business, our "Icebox" is likely going to hit the market in early next year.

Quote from: Heinz on December 02, 2013, 10:33:51 AM
We've changed chipsets and are now realistically looking at July.

Quote from: Heinz on December 02, 2013, 02:30:17 PM
And in February, we'll tweak our ad-skipping concept, based on user ratings of the performance of various algorithms........
We're going to bring it out in good quality, without haste and without being driven by the competition.

Quote from: Heinz on April 11, 2014, 08:19:55 PM
3) Treat yourself to an IceTV PVR in October from our online store or in November from the top Australian retailers..

Quote from: Heinz on August 11, 2014, 01:34:21 PM
. We've just upgraded again to a higher-end chipset, in order to provide the best user experience with this feature. But every time you change chipsets, you have to port all of the middleware as well. This adds six months every time for consumer quality.

Based on the last two quotes of planned Oct release then a 6 month delay due to new chipset, I guess we move the goal posts to April/May 2015.

Vortical

Quote from: snuke on November 10, 2014, 09:46:35 AM
Based on the last two quotes of planned Oct release then a 6 month delay due to new chipset, I guess we move the goal posts to April/May 2015.
Didn't see that post thanks for pointing it out snuke.

The thing is before that six months is up another newer chipset will probably be available   ::)

Paul55

My concern is the amount of resources being poured into this project could compromise the viability of IceTV if the PVR isn't a commercial success. I'd hate to lose the excellent IceTV service because the company tried to change from a software company with little competition to a hardware developer in a more crowded market.
The other aspect is IceTV expending energy on 2 fronts - is this impacting IceTV development on new 3rd party machines?

csutak40

Quote from: Paul55 on November 11, 2014, 08:42:05 AM
My concern is the amount of resources being poured into this project could compromise the viability of IceTV if the PVR isn't a commercial success. I'd hate to lose the excellent IceTV service because the company tried to change from a software company with little competition to a hardware developer in a more crowded market.
The other aspect is IceTV expending energy on 2 fronts - is this impacting IceTV development on new 3rd party machines?

All of the above, plus the silence really annoys me.  I did miss that last post about the chipset, which I am surprised at, as I have been really keeping my eyes open for new info.
But I think that the chance of it succeeding when/if it ever comes out is shrinking by the minute.  I, for one, was very excited about the prospect of an IceTV PRV, and was even planning to trust it enough to buy one before the first update (something I don't usually do) now I think I would wait for version 3 before even considering it. 
The deafening silence fills me with suspicion.
Considering the fact that Heinz was asking us for input in the beginning, I think it is very disappointing how he has now decided to treat us like mushrooms
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Quote from: Heinz on August 11, 2014, 01:34:21 PM

We're not in a position to "leak out" what IceCube's killer feature exactly is -- for competitive reasons. We're obviously breaking new ground here and we're breaking the ice with PVR vendors, who have also expressed interest in porting IceTV's new capability onto their own brands. Again, the question there is whether their PVRs have enough horsepower to run it.

Well, now that I have found this thread... 
Whatever this "killer feature" is, hold on to it long enough, and some other PVR manufacturer will discover and implement it on their own (if they hadn't already)  Maybe that is the reason for the silence?

After all, a year or two is a VERY long time in technology, what ever was considered killer feature two years ago, is probably run of the mill by now
Cheers,
Judy

IanL-S

My recollection that on key feature was 4 tuners. I think Humax are the only ones with a 4-turner model; Beyonwiz have a 3-tuner model that 'converts' to a 4 tuner model using a USB tuner. Neither has been on the market for all that long.

Topfield do not have a 4-tuner model and they have not, as far as I am aware, announced that they are working on one.

Ian
Synology NAS

snuke

Correct:

Quote from: Heinz on April 11, 2014, 08:19:55 PM
3) Treat yourself to an IceTV PVR in October from our online store or in November from the top Australian retailers. It won't cost you much to enjoy becoming part of a PVR revolution with the IceTV PVR! Our own PVR will be the first to market with some features that are setting the pace in Australia -- 4 tuners, prepaid IceTV, sleek new IceTV interface which is integrated across our PVR's remote control/tablet/mobiles and a killer feature that we won't announce until closer to the release date. Seriously cool and different! We are well underway and you will want IceTV if you are looking for a way to enjoy HbbTV/Freeview+ with your existing TV set at some point in the near future.

As I mentioned after this post, calling a secret feature is just dumb as he mentioned it multiple times in decent detail on a podcast. And eludes to it in his first post in this thread with the “smart recording”
You can listen to the podcast/webcast here - http://www.techwebcast.info/category/heinz-herrmann-ceo-of-icetv/. From memory it is a fair way in, and you have to get past Heinz’s constant sales pitch.

csutak40

OK.  I just listened to the broadcast.  I have heard it before, but forgot most of it.  I think there is a possibility that they are having legal problems about some of the things they want to do.
However, as I keep saying, I still resent being treated like a mushroom.
Cheers,
Judy