Moving from beyonwiz to kaiser baas with IceTV....

Started by alect, February 15, 2013, 02:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alect

my beyonwiz has just died and I am almost certain it's not worth trying to fix it.

I already have a win7 HTPC running XBMC (and Win MC available but I don't currently use it).

I am considering getting a Kaiser Baas Dual TV Stick as the PVR.  it seems there is some compatibility with IceTV since they co-market their two products (3 month coupons etc).

When I asked Kaiser Baas tech support they told me that Kaiser Baas does not integrate with the IceTV EPG or scheduling.  It uses Total Media to do that.

I love IceTV and don't want to pick a solution that won't work with it.  So does anyone have any experience in using IceTV with a Kaiser Baas stick/pvr?  Is there something around IceTv integration with Win Med Centre which then passes on the epg and scheduling to totalmedia/kaiser Bass?

I ideally i would like viewing to be integrated to XBMC but i can live with doing that manually/using folders for storing recording etc....

dippy

Hi Alect,

The Kaiser Baas stick works great with IceTV as long as you use Windows Media Center for your recordings. Ice is not compatible with their own Total Media recorder, but works really well with Media Center (which comes free with Win7, or a small cost on Win8).

I have used the Kaiser Baas stick and it works well with Windows. In my personal experience, however, it isn't as good at picking up low signal strength channels than other devices (like the Elgato DTT or Elgato Diversity). If you know you are in a low signal area, I recommend you look at the Elagato tuners instead.

David.
IceTV Tech Support
cheers
David - IceTV Support Team

Need help? Phone IceTV support on 1300 654 803 or Contact Us

alect

Thanks.  I don't think we're in a low signal area and we have a decent arial on the roof.

Do the elgato tuners integrate better with iceTV than kaiser baas?

Do either of them integrate in any way with XBMC?

alect

and given the elagto is about 3-4 times the price, is it that far a superior product in other ways?  in what ways is it better?

dippy

Hi alect,

Both integrate equally as well with Windows and IceTV as long as you use Windows Media Center to record with.

All I can tell you about quality is my own experience. I've found the Elgato works better than the Kaiser in low signal areas. So if you are in that situation, the price difference would be worth it. However, if you have a strong signal, there are no extra reasons to switch to the Elgato.

David.
cheers
David - IceTV Support Team

Need help? Phone IceTV support on 1300 654 803 or Contact Us

alect

thanks for that

Am now also considering the Hauupage Novo-TD USB Dual Digital.  Is that pretty much the same as the other two or are there some advantages to it over the others?

nis200sx

For a Windows user the main thing to be aware of when choosing a USB tuner is does the included remote control work with Windows Media Center. Some only work with their own recording software, which does not support IceTV and is usually inferior to Windows Media Center.

The full size remote controls included with 'Hauppauge NOVA-TD HD Dual TV Tuner' and with the 'Hauppauge MiniStick HDTV Tuner' do work with Windows 7 Media Center, as do the remote controls included with the Elgato products.
Dave

alect

So since I have a Logitech Harmony 600 which works with win mc i assume that's not an issue for me no matter which product I buy (assuming i use win mc to record and watch)?

nis200sx

Exactly. If you already have a Win7 MCE compatible remote and a good TV signal then any of the available tuners will do.
Dave