Best PVR to use with ICETV

Started by Matt., January 29, 2013, 12:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt.

I've had a Topfield 7100 PVR for the past few years and it's been great combined with ICETV.

It seems that the entire range of new Topfield's don't support ICETV anymore. I picked up a 7160 yesterday and the IR is pretty crappy in comparison. I used the ICETV iPhone app to program in the past. The system available on this Topfield sucks to program.

What PVR should I be looking at that will work with ICETV?

Cheers
Matt

grampus

I guess everyone will have their own as a favorite, otherwise they wouldn't be using them?
Mine are the Beyonwiz P2 and Dp-Lite.
Quite happy with them, IceTv works OK with them.

One minor exception if you have multiple devices with one or more BW's in the mix. 

If you have only one BW in the mix, make sure its the first in your list in the Ice Website.

Or if more than one, then make sure you have a dummy device configured as the first one.
This will fix a problem where they BW's can request timers to be sent to the wrong device.

I'll probably get an argument about this, but it fixed MY problem.
BeyonWiz, T3

prl

I've only used Beyonwizes with IceTV Interactive. I generally find that they've been pretty reliable with IceTV, within its built-in constraints.

My reading of this forum wouldn't entice me toward any of the other PVRs that support IceTV.

The main problem with Beyonwiz is that it currently appears a bit moribund: the last public firmware update was two years ago (Jan 2011), and it appears that all of their PVRs except their top-of-the-line DP-P2TB and their bottom-of-the-line DP-H1 single-tuner STB* have been discontinued**. When it was around, I thought the DP-Lite was quite a good buy.

* The DP-H1 can be converted into a single-tuner PVR by adding a USB HDD.
** The DP-Lite and DP-Lite i haven't been marked as discontinued on the Beyonwiz products pages, but Dealspace has shown them as Out of Stock for some time. Likewise, the 1TB DP-P2 hasn't been marked discontinued on the Beyonwiz pages but is also Out of Stock on Dealspace. Dealspace does carry some refurbished older models.

[Beyonwiz beta tester]
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Paul55

Beyonwiz works well with IceTV.
So do the Topfield TRF-2400 and TRF2460.
The 7160, 7170 and 2470 are NOT IceTV compatible.
The IceTV webpage let's you know which devices are compatible. In fact, I reckon the current IceTV deal for the Toppy 2400 is a beauty.