After DLS many shows no longer appear on my timer listing

Started by JPP, April 02, 2012, 09:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPP

After I made the stipulated manoeuvres on my Toppy 2400 after DLS changeover at around 9am on Sunday, I now find that many shows are no longer on my Reservation listing.

I am running the Feb 2012 public FW.

I have tried deleting and resending the timers twice now, but this has not made any difference.

The recording timers that do not come up on the My Week page do however show as greyed out icons on the PC Widget however.

They are also still on my My Programs listing and show up as normal with the info that it is to be recorded on my Toppy.

I tried just making a slight change and then saving it again, but this still doesn't make it appear as a queued icon on the My Week page.

It is as if the recording timer has been placed in a dormant state. This is how I found some of these missing recordings to be in.

Those that were in this state did come back after I set them to be active again, but many others are NOT in this state and cannot be made to send out a timer for.

So, maybe it needs a complete reset on all my programs in the My Programs list - only ICETV can do that though.

All in all a bit of a bad experience with DLS changeover this time - in fact by far the worst.

When we go back to summer DLS time in October, I won't be around to monitor/fix all of this - heaven help me then.

In contrast, my Windows Media Player running on ICETV handled the changeover without any hiccups or intervention whatsoever.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Rowdy

Topfield 5000, 2400, Skippa

JPP

OK, thanks for the feedback. It's looking like this is an issue that may well be related to the current Feb 2012 FW. I take it you are running this FW also?
Phil.

IanL-S

I did not follow the procedure suggested by IceTV. Instead I reset services, did a service rescan, instructed IceTV Interactive to resend all timers for all Toppys, set up IceTV on each Toppy (making sure that I had selected the correct device) and EPG and all timers downloaded shortly after. Did this for 2 x 7100+ and 2 x 2400 Toppys, all running the Feb 2012 firmware.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

madjohn

I found the same problem but it was mainly shows that run on "Hi Def" chanels that I had selected as "Prefer SD". 

JPP

OK, I've had a chat with David from ICETV.

It would appear that even though I used the YELLOW key to delete all recordings (as opposed to deleting them one by one using the GREEN key which tells ICETV to delete the following episode of a show/series).

Thus, it looks like that the YELLOW key in my case sent the delete episode command instead of the "clear all awaiting a resend of timers" type of command.

David has now reset all my Programs to clear the "do not send this week's episode" flag, so that should bring everything back to normal.
Phil.

JPP

I have a suggestion here to try to circumvent this DLS timer issue - mainly applicable to the Topfields and Beyonwizes as these are the most troublesome wrt DLS changeover.

Why not delete  and then resend (from the ICETV end) any timers that were set prior to DLS for programs that take place AFTER DLS. This process (delete and then resend the timer (from the ICETV end)) is already in place for programs that have changed their starting times.

Now, I realise that those who don't run a daily VIEW (non record) timer early in the day, that the very first recording would be one hour late, but every subsequent timer would be be corrected via the delete resend ICETV initiated command/action.

I run a daily VIEW timer before any recordings are set to take place, so if users were prepared to do this, no recordings would be lost/late.

If this idea can be shown to work, then there is no need for any user DLS changeover intervention. The EPG correctly adjusted itself as did the Time (mine is set to AUTO Time on the Toppy and DLT ON). I did not need to purge the EPG, although I did that later when I followed the DLS procedure outlined by ICETV to get the timers corrected.

Phil.

tonymy01

I had a smooth transition this time around.   I have a Beyonwiz, and did the following steps.
1. Set my UTC offset from +11 to +10 (I run NTP network time as my option, so no discrete DST on/off option).
2. Go to the last menu to clear all timers
3. Go to ICEtv account page, find my PVR, and choose "resend all timers".
Done.... finally worked properly.   In the past when I purged timers from the timer list with the delete key, it was sending ICE a "he doesn't want this timer for this week" message instead, so the resend all timers was useless as ICE had already essentially decided I didn't want to watch the show for this week.   Thankfully Beyonwiz introduced the clear all timers option in a more recent (could have been more than a year ago now LOL) firmware.

The only way to resolve the "he didn't want to record the show for this week" issue I had in the past was to go to my week and individually select all shows one by one and reschedule (individual record option), pain in the butt.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

JPP

Yes, it's getter better and for most Toppy users the transition went of flawlessly. For some reason the "clear all timers" command on the Toppy (YELLOW key) failed during on my particular Toppy this time.

HOWEVER, what I am after is a totally user independent DLS changeover. You just can't carry out all the DLS changeover time shenanigans when you're away from home :(.

With the current Feb 12 FW on all TMS Toppies, the Time changeover is handled automatically as is correction of the EPG, provided you set the Time to AUTO and DLS setting to ON.

What is NOT done automatically on neither the Toppy or Beyonwiz is the Timer correction. What I have proposed above is a workaround solution that will work on ALL PVRs, regardless of whether they need this correction or not.

BOTH the Toppy and the Beyonwiz now handle timer deletion and resending of the SAME timer (i.e the timer for the same program) when required properly, for example due to a change in start time of a program.
Now, this function MUST be done by ICETV and NOT the user as otherwise the episode for that week (in a weekly series) will be deleted.

To re-iterate, what I propose is an automatic delete and resend of all timers that were set PRIOR to the DLS changeover time to the new corrected time. As the delete/resend command is coming from ICETV, this means that the episode./program will NOT be deleted

If this is done, then only the very first program would possibly be recorded at the wrong time. To avoid this, if the user sets a VIEW (non-record) timer before any recordings are to take place, then even this can be avoided. I have a daily 4pm View timer set so this gets me a Timer fetch and EPG update before any recordings are to take place in the evening.

This process will not affect PVRs that don't need this done - they will simply just have the same timer resent - so apart from a bit more traffic form the ICETV site this should be a workable workaround till (if ever) the Toppy and Wiz get a fix for this. Many other brand PVRs don't have any issues with DLS changeover wrt timers - just a shame that the Toppy and Wiz engineers just don't seem to think it worthwhile to provide a fix.
Phil.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: JPP on April 02, 2012, 10:49:34 PM
With the current Feb 12 FW on all TMS Toppies, the Time changeover is handled automatically as is correction of the EPG, provided you set the Time to AUTO and DLS setting to ON.

What is NOT done automatically on neither the Toppy or Beyonwiz is the Timer correction.
I just did a test with a 2460 running the Feb 2012 firmware and it appears that it would have automatically handled DST ending, including adjusting the timers.

1. I set 2 timers for shows at 6:30pm
2. I changed the clock's offset by 1 hour to 11:00.
3. Checked the guide and all shows had moved 1 hour, as expected.
4. Checked the timers and they also had moved 1 hour, to 7:30pm, which was not expected.

5. Then I changed the clock's offset back 1 hour to 10:00.
6. Now the guide and my timers had moved back to the correct timeslots with my timers back at 6:30pm.

It looks to me like the Feb 2012 firmware correctly handles DST transitions automatically.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

JPP

Hmm...it didn't on mine. Oddly, just one timer did move back correctly, but all others didn't. This patchy behaviour has been noted by others too, so something isn't quite right just yet.

What the Toppy now does correctly though, is handle it's own timers set via the FTA EPG. These move around with DLS, so for all non-ICE timers, including the IR timers, you don't have to do a thing now.
Phil.

JPP

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on April 03, 2012, 03:09:33 PM

1. I set 2 timers for shows at 6:30pm
2. I changed the clock's offset by 1 hour to 11:00.
3. Checked the guide and all shows had moved 1 hour, as expected.
4. Checked the timers and they also had moved 1 hour, to 7:30pm, which was not expected.

5. Then I changed the clock's offset back 1 hour to 10:00.
6. Now the guide and my timers had moved back to the correct timeslots with my timers back at 6:30pm.

It looks to me like the Feb 2012 firmware correctly handles DST transitions automatically.
I note Dave that you didn't flush the EPG. Might be worthwhile to follow the exact procedure that you've given on your site to see what happens.

Mind you, I kept my hands off for as long as I could and did nothing at all until I could see that I was going to miss Sunday night's recordings. It was only then that I went through the ICETV DLS procedure.

Remember too, that I noted that all the timers aligned correctly when viewed by the Toppy's native EPG, but when you then looked at the Reservation list, they were all one hour late. Bit of an odd one that.
Phil.