IceTV server is down?

Started by IanL-S, February 22, 2012, 08:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

My recalcitrant 2400 eventually was able to log in an I could then select a device. Not 100% clear why it was more reluctant. Possibly due to switching to FTA EPG data with this unit - did not do it for the other Toppys.

Well, under 12 hours to a solution is pretty good given the complexities of configuring servers.

I notice the Ice TV Widget is still missing in action. Any idea when it will be fixed?

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

mikeathome

Now that most of the dust appears to have settled I would like to make a comment.

In a post a page or so back Daniel from ICE explains that the failure discussed in this thread is due to an error in the way theTopfield TMS units operate. Thus suggesting that the cause of the problem is with Topfield (at least that is how I have interpreted his post).

Now I cannot be counted as a Topfield apologist - on the contrary I think that a business model that incorporates the release of untested firmware and a reliance on users to identify problems is both unethical and unprofessional. However in this case it would appear that the ICE people changed the way that their system operates, did not test before implementation, and as a result caused a situation where all TMS Topfields failed to operate with ICE in the way that they had been doing for 2 + years previously. The underlying root cause may well be a difference in the way that the TMS models operate compared with other units supported by ICE. But this should have been picked up by ICE when the new server configuration was tested, and remedied before implementation. It is not Topfield's fault that someone at ICE didn't do their job professionally.

Hopefully those at ICE can learn from this experience and ensure that any change - particularly those regarded as minor - be thoroughly and professionally tested before being implemented.

IanL-S

It is possible to subject a Toppy firmware to rigorous testing before it is released. Some firmware issues take time to emerge even under rigorous testing. There is a trade-off between the need to put in place fixes to know issues and the risk of new issues going undetected. In some case it may be decided it release a firmware with minor issues uncorrected, given the time needed to address those issues.

It is considerably more difficult to test a server configuration when moving from one server to another. If the new and old server have identical configuration, then there should be no problems. If for some reason it is necessary to tweak the configuration (for example when a different provider is being used) the problems in testing before going live can be significant, particularly when testing interaction with remote connections.

The sever outage was somewhat annoying, but it was fixed swiftly. Toppy firmware issues are far more difficult to solve and the time frame is months rather than hours.

Ian

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

mikeathome

What's so difficult about testing whether the PVRs that you support can communicate with your server? We're not talking about some obscure bug here that might reasonably have slipped through the net but a major failure that totally prevented any communication. Last time I spoke to the ICE support people (late last year) they had a TMS model available and in use for testing purposes so this should have made it even easier. The fact that testing may (or may not) be difficult is hardly an excuse for not doing it, simple as that. And IT professionals are well aware of that.

Markh

Down again!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Cannot connect to server again  >:(

prl

I'm having IceTV server access problems on Beyonwiz, too. Was working earlier today.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

AndrewT

And here as well on my Topfields and EyeTV - exactly a week from the last server issue.

Markh

And again it seems no reponse from icetv. Pathetic really for a service we pay for.

prl

Quote from: Markh on February 29, 2012, 07:16:51 PM
And again it seems no reponse from icetv. Pathetic really for a service we pay for.
This isn't an official support channel, even though IceTV staff do respond here sometimes. Contact IceTV Support if you want support.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grampus

Quote from: Markh on February 29, 2012, 07:16:51 PM
I reported a problem tonight via official channels, they responded with their explanation of my problems pretty much within a few hours, then the following exchange.
Very happy with the service.

My query,
May I broadcast this response in the forum?
I believe there was a comment re no advice from the support team.
Probably because the forum is not the proper place to ask for assistance?

Ice support response
We've been flat out today with more than normal phone calls. And yes, the forum is not the place to ask for official support
BeyonWiz, T3

markb

Quote from: grampus on February 29, 2012, 09:40:47 PM
We've been flat out today with more than normal phone calls. And yes, the forum is not the place to ask for official support

How silly and inefficient. There is not a lot of volume on the ICE forums so it would take a few minutes each day to scan new posts and respond where hundreds of people can find answers. They really prefer that each one of us phone or email them for a one on one response? Some of the things ICETV do don't make sense to me.

prl

Quote from: markb on February 29, 2012, 10:31:51 PM
Quote from: grampus on February 29, 2012, 09:40:47 PM

How silly and inefficient. There is not a lot of volume on the ICE forums so it would take a few minutes each day to scan new posts and respond where hundreds of people can find answers. They really prefer that each one of us phone or email them for a one on one response? Some of the things ICETV do don't make sense to me.
But as I posted before, they do scan the forum and often respond. But as I also said, and as grampus quotes from IceTV support, the forum is not an official support channel. They also say so in the main Technical Support page:
QuotePlease note that we can't guarantee responses for all questions on the forum. If you require a direct answer from an IceTV staff member, then please contact us directly.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

markb

Quote from: prl on February 29, 2012, 11:18:28 PM
But as I also said, and as grampus quotes from IceTV support, the forum is not an official support channel.

Yeah, we know that. I'm just saying it is silly and inefficient. If I was running ICETV support I would post here profusely. It would cost me little time and save heaps of one-on-one phone calls and emails. Communication tempers peoples frustrations.

grampus

Quote from: markb on February 29, 2012, 11:31:26 PM
Yeah, we know that. I'm just saying it is silly and inefficient. If I was running ICETV support I would post here profusely. It would cost me little time and save heaps of one-on-one phone calls and emails. Communication tempers peoples frustrations.
Not too sure I agree with that.
A majority of support organizations will not use fora as a medium to advise.
They find that it is unproductive.
It's much better to have a formal support path that can be used for a one on one conversation regarding specific problems.

Having been in a a number of support organizations, and having seen what the forum method of support brings, I can only agree with the Ice attitude.
BeyonWiz, T3