New firmware Humax

Started by lespato, December 21, 2011, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangerian

Just spoke to Humax tech support. They said Ver 1.05 was released last night (Thu 5th Jan). So try a manual update today and lets see if it fixes all our external HD woes.

rangerian

1.05 is no better.

Humax now formats ext HD to Linux 3 then crashes when you try to copy files from the internal HD.

Thinking of dumping my new Humax 7500

prl

Linux 3 file system format? I assume you mean Linux ext3?

As for dumping it, you should have a look at some of the bugs in the early releases of Beyonwiz firmware (the link refers to 2007 vintage software, Beyonwiz PVRs are now pretty solid). I had some similar types of experience with early Topfield 7000 firmware (I was a beta tester for both, but am no longer a Topfield beta tester). Many PVRs get released too early in their software development, presumably in a drive to get to market early. It wouldn't surprise me much if the same was true of the Humax.

Have you tried formatting the external HDD, then shutting down completely (mains power off) and then restarting before trying the copy? The mains power off suggestion is because I have no idea what the various power saving settings do to the Humax's state in its standby mode. I don't own one.

Surely it would be better to ask about problems like this in a dedicated Humax forum, rather than the Humax area on the IceTV forum, since this sort of problem really has nothing to do with IceTV at all.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

rangerian

Quote from: prl on January 09, 2012, 11:29:11 AM

Surely it would be better to ask about problems like this in a dedicated Humax forum, rather than the Humax area on the IceTV forum, since this sort of problem really has nothing to do with IceTV at all.

Thanks Peter. Nothing to do with IceTV at all???

Er, the invoice is on ICETV letterhead . ICETV is plastered all over the Humax box. The sales rep who sold me the Humax is from ICETV. Hello!?

prl

Quote from: rangerian on January 09, 2012, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: prl on January 09, 2012, 11:29:11 AM

Thanks Peter. Nothing to do with IceTV at all???

Er, the invoice is on ICETV letterhead . ICETV is plastered all over the Humax box. The sales rep who sold me the Humax is from ICETV. Hello!?
It's nothing to do with the operation of IceTV's TV Guide services. It is in the forum section "IceTV Guide for IceTV enabled PVRs". Of course, if you bought your Humax from IceTV, then you have call on IceTV  support. Which this isn't, really. The only response from IceTV support in this topic wasn't anything to do with the Humax firmware and/or hardware problems being posted about.

I'm just saying that  is you want to talk about specifically Humax hardware or firmware problems, this may not be the best forum. It's really intended for discussion of the interaction between the various PVRs, including Humax, and the IceTV Guide and recording services. Other forums may get your problems exposed to a wider range of Humax users.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

swamprat96

Of course the problem right now is that there is no other forum that I can find for these devices. There is a thread on Whirlpool but thats about all I can find. It would be good if Humax themselves started an Australian Forum

prl

There's a Humax 7500 topic in the PVRs, DVRs, HDD & DVD Recorders area on the DTV Forum. DTV is an Australian forum.

It's not as good as a dedicated forum for the manufacturer (whether manufacturer-supported or not), but at least it's a start.

After you sign up, you have to have at least 5 posts in DTV before you can start a topic. There's a topic on DTV specifically for getting your post count up to the minimum necessary to create topics.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

swamprat96

Thanks. I didn't find that before. I am a member from my old HTPC days so I'll check it out