EPG Fetch stalls on 2460 after new November 2011 firmware

Started by Fester, December 07, 2011, 03:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

Fester, if I was you I would revert to the previous stable firmware. For the 7100+ that would be the Jan 2011 firmware. For the 2400/2460 it would be the October 2010 firmware if you have a Toppy prone to rebooting under the December 2010 and/or March 2011 firmware. There are issues with IceTV with that firmware; occasionally corrupt EPG data and less frequently inexplicably deleted timers.

Hopefully Topfield engineers in Korea are working on a solution to this issue; it was identified within 48 hours of release of the firmware, so they have been looking for a solution for the best part of two months. Not sure why they (Topfield Korea) issued the 7100+ version when the 2400/2460 version was so obviously broken when it came to IceTV.

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Fester

Ian, I have the 2460. I may go back to the May 2010 firmware as I have never had any issues with that release, rock solid for me. I would miss the Home Media functionality though.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

We have been working with Topfield on this one and a fix is starting the internal Topfield certification process so we hope to see a new firmware shortly.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

wally3218

Ocassionally l loose all my channel two epg guide all the other channels come thru ok its just channel abc1 abc2 abc3 abc24 that arent working.
Has anyone else noticed this. I turned my 2460 on and off and resent the epg that worked the first few times but now it doesnt fix it unless i leave the 2460 off over night.
Whats happening with the new firmware upgrade that is suspose to be comming.
Topfield is allways saying its due out soon, soon = 6 months
SONY KLV40S200 - 40 inch S series Bravia LCD TV
SONY DVPNS78H - DVD PLAYER
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming
Billion7300GRA  Windows 7 64bit

IanL-S

Hi Wally

You are not alone with this. I have seen it happen on all my Toppys running the November firmware. In my case I tend to loose 10 or SBS. Not sure if this is a Toppy problem (more likely I suspect) or an IceTV problem. As it only affects one Toppy at a time, IceTV is unlikely to be the culprit.

Dan or David reported in one of the other threads that Topfield are in the final stages of finalising a new release. Not clear if that is a beta or a public release.

Ian

Addendum Wally, does resetting the EPG Data have any impact? (You navigate the the IceTV setup, and use the red function button to do the reset.)
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

wally3218

Hi Ian, I tried resending the EPG but it still failed to pick up the ABC channels , tried waiting for a hour then resending them still no luck also tried turning the Topfield 2460 off and on again after 5 mins still no good.
I usually leave the 2460 on 24/7 but l turned it off overnight and when l turned it back on all the tv channels were there.

I was thinking it might be something to do with how much data gets sent and does the 2460 have a set limit of how much data it can keep.
Maybe the EPG is like the recordings that only have a set number of days are sent.
If IceTV only sent 3 or 4 days worth of EPG at a time it might cure this problem.
IceTV can tell how much data gets sent with the EPG at different times.
SONY KLV40S200 - 40 inch S series Bravia LCD TV
SONY DVPNS78H - DVD PLAYER
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming
Billion7300GRA  Windows 7 64bit

IanL-S

I tried the delete EPG data and it did not work; I think there is a posting from David or Dan suggesting that you power down the Toppy after doing that ... not sure if it makes any difference.

I do not know if there is a max amount of data the 2400/2460/7100+ can store for EPG. There is a max number of timers - 70. If when you first set up IceTV, and there is more than 70 timers to be downloaded (normally downloads timers for the next 5 days), the Toppy will throw a hissey fit and refuse to download any more timers. The only solution is to reset service, rescan service, tell IceTV Interactive to resend timers, then set up ICE TV on the Toppy. This will also usually overcome missed timers (but you may have some missed timers on day 4 or 5).

Ian

Synology NAS

IanL-S

Something weird is going on. I checked all my Toppys this morning that use IceTV Interactive this morning and there were no missing timers (2 x 7100+ running November firmware; 2 x 2400 running January beta). While I was not surprised that one of the 7100+s was OK (I did a clean firmware installation on Saturday), the others have not been touched for some time (the 7100+ put into standby at least once a day; 2400 running 24/7).

Has anyone else seen this "peculiar" behaviour? Or has someone at IceTV found a fix for stalled timers?

Ian
Synology NAS

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: IanL-S on February 13, 2012, 09:11:24 AM
Something weird is going on. I checked all my Toppys this morning that use IceTV Interactive this morning and there were no missing timers (2 x 7100+ running November firmware; 2 x 2400 running January beta). While I was not surprised that one of the 7100+s was OK (I did a clean firmware installation on Saturday), the others have not been touched for some time (the 7100+ put into standby at least once a day; 2400 running 24/7).

Has anyone else seen this "peculiar" behaviour? Or has someone at IceTV found a fix for stalled timers?

Ian

Not so much a 'fix' as a work around until Topfield can find the exact reason why some timers do not schedule and don't fail either. The problem was that some timers would just not get scheduled but also not be sent back in error, what we are now doing is if a timer is not responded to the server will automatically re-send the details back to the Topfield as we have found that using the same details on a subsequent run will cause the timer to schedule.

With this workaround in place we are hoping to get the latest beta firmware out ASAP as it does fix the stalled EPG download issue.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

IanL-S

Thanks for the update Dan. The latest beta definitely fixes the complete stalling of downloads, and it is much more stable (not sure that I should say this :-X).
Ian
Synology NAS

Vortical

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on February 13, 2012, 10:11:49 AM
Not so much a 'fix' as a work around until Topfield can find the exact reason why some timers do not schedule and don't fail either. The problem was that some timers would just not get scheduled but also not be sent back in error, what we are now doing is if a timer is not responded to the server will automatically re-send the details back to the Topfield as we have found that using the same details on a subsequent run will cause the timer to schedule.
Daniel

Is there any reason why IceTV can't leave it this way?

Seems logicial to me if the IceTV server gets no response from the pvr that a timer has been received by the pvr that it should try to send the timer again anyway rather than doing nothing.

Also if the retry fails 3 times on one timer perhaps the timers icon should switch to the yellow triangle error icon?

Vortical

Daniel,

I've noticed some timer icons that were solid yesterday have changed to hollow unsent timer icons on the icetv website today.

Not sure if the timers are on the pvr or not until I get home from work.