Scheduled recordings being missed still an issue?

Started by snilbert, September 23, 2011, 11:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snilbert

I'm new to both Ice TV and Eye TV  - I previously used a Topfield which despite it's clunky interface, was a lot more reliable.

I"m using a new Mac Mini with a Netstream DTT. I would say that so far less than half the scheduled recordings I've set up have actually recorded. And I still haven't seen any evidence of it happening if I'm not actually watching TV at the time - which sort of defeats the purpose of scheduling.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I could troubleshoot this? I read on another post in this forum that someone was just advised to delete the series recordings and re-add them. Seems like a pretty lame workaround - how long will that work for before you have to do it again?

THe Ice TV mobile app and website look pretty good, with some nice features - I'd just wish they work.

Dave at IceTV

Hi snilbert,

To make sure that IceTV is updating, go to 'EyeTV Preferences' and have a look at when the Last Update was. The Program Guide should be set to Update Every Day but unfortunately EyeTV randomly changes the next update time. Click on 'Update Now' to confirm that it is working.

Also make sure that 'Remote Scheduling' is set to 'Every Hour'.

If you want, you can also tick the option to 'Wake up computer to check remote scheduling'. This will ensure that it regularly gets the scheduling updates. Otherwise you need to ensure that the Mac is turned on for at least an hour each day.

Lastly,  make sure that all channels are assigned to use IceTV as their EPG source.

The steps to check and fix this are:
1. Open the EyeTV Programs window (“Window > Show EyeTV Programs” from the menu bar).
2. Select “Channels” in the source list on the left side of the window.
3. In the list, find a channel that's missing the guide data.
4. Look at the value in the EPG column for that row.
5. If it says "IceTV", click on it and re-select IceTV from the drop down list.
6. If it doesn't say "IceTV", change it to IceTV.
7. Select the appropriate channel from the guide listing that appears in the popup window.
8. Repeat steps 3 to 7 for all other channels that are missing the guide data.

The above steps will re-map the EyeTV channels to our guide data. If you switch to the "Program Guide" tab now, you should see guide data for those channels
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

snilbert

Thanks for the advice Dave, but I've done all that and I'm still getting missed shows. Eg. The Hamster Wheel, which I have in my list, it was recorded last week, but completely missed this week, despite me having selected it for series recording. A more reliable way of recording it would be to simply record it live when it comes on - but defeats the purpose of Ice TV.

I don't think I'll be taking up this service once my free trial runs out - it's just not reliable.