Read this before purchasing

Started by Dave is over it, March 10, 2012, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave is over it

I have had nothing but trouble with this device.  It started with One unit which turned out to be faulty and unable to update the firmware.  I have to say that during this period the support from Dave was excellent and ended with the unit being replaced.  The new unit updated its firmware flawlessly as soon as itnwas plugged in which confirmed that the original was a faulty unit.

However, the problems didn't end there, now the unit with the updated firmware manages to keep the icetv guide up for about one to two hours (sometimes much less than that) before going totally blank, this also has the result that some shows are not recorded and the few that are, are recorded with no name (the entry is entirely blank in the file list.  The only way to restore the guide is to hard reset the unit (from the wall or the rear switch) soft resets do nothing. 
I am running the latest firmware, my router is on a fixed frequency, all other internet functions on the PVR work such as iview and all power saving settings are off.
Unlike the previous experience with the faulty unit, two emails, the first of which was sent in late February have remained unanswered from Dave or anyone at IceTV. 

I am extremely frustrated by both the faulty unit and the total silence from IceTV on this and am now going to have to pursue alternative dispute resolution options, which I am not happy about as it is a waste of my time.
Hopefully this will not be censored as I have not exaggerated or embellished it in any way and believe that I am merely providing a negative experience to assist a purchaser when deciding on what product to purchase.

tonymy01

Just as a check, how does the PVR clock look? I can imagine a situation like you ate explaining arise from the PVR date or time suddenly changing, which is possible with a dodgy broadcaster when the PVR is set to Auto time.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Dave at IceTV

Hi Dave,

Sorry hear you are having a bad experience. There currently is an issue affecting the loading of the guide data on some Humax PVRs. IceTV are working together with Humax to resolve the issue as soon as possible. In the meantime if you re-confirm your IceTV account details in the Humax menu you will see the full guide again within 2 minutes.

Regarding your unreplied emails: The support team answers all emails within 24 hours and usually the same day. At the moment there are only 3 support emails waiting to be answered and they have all arrived today. If you did not receive the reply then the email probably ended up in your email client's, or your ISP's, spam folder.

Each time you lodge a support request you receive a confirmation that to acknowledge that your request was received. If you did not receive the acknowledgement email then your email was not received by IceTV. That email contains a link to your case that you can use to check the replies and the status of your ticket. You should also be able to log in to your account and go to help then support and see the replies to all of your tickets. Or you can PM me with your IceTV member ID and I'll forward you a copy of the missing email replies.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

Hi Dave,

I found your emails. They are in the sales queue. One awaiting a reply from Humax, and the other just arrived Thursday night. I have asked sales to get in touch with you ASAP and let you know what is happening.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave is over it

Thanks for the quick response, I had thought it was strange that I had not heard a response from you after the initial excellent support I had received.  Also glad to know that this is a known issue as the actual unit seems to have such potential. 
I will wait a little longer for a solution from Humax.  Also I will have a look at the clock settings as Tony suggested.

swamprat96

As far as I remember the system time and date gets picked up from your router. It's always good policy to have the router set it's time from a reliable source. If it picks up the time from your pc it can be an issue especially when the pc is off. Much better to have the router pick up time from an internet server

Dave is over it

It is a Linksys router that uses NTP with no option to alter it.  Besides that, the time is at all times accurate, when the guide is playing up or not.

swamprat96

Ok then I think you've ruled out the clock. Do you ever see a network disconnected message? And how are you connected to the router - wifi or Ethernet? I use wifi and occasionally it drops out. But I haven't had the issues you are having. I have had epg issues twice where part of the guide is missing-fixed by confirming my ice tv settings which is I think caused by the wifi dropouts.