Help with low-power strategy

Started by jc508, March 22, 2011, 10:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jc508

Hi,
I am trying to think of a strategy to keep my TRF-2400 up-to-date without having to be powered on 24/7.

I gather the ICE Guide and settings are fetched by the PVR from the server - rather than being pushed to the PVR because the server really doesn't know where to send them.
But I cant figure the timing of this transfer - when I turn it on it tells me there are new widgets or whatever but seems to take a variable time before the guide updates.

Does anybody think it would be feasible to have the PVR turn on once or twice a day for a few minutes - get any new commands - then go back to sleep?

Any other suggestions ?

JC

chrisb

A 'view only' daily timer is the way i've done it on the Beyonwiz. It turns on, does its thing for 30mins and turns off. I do this at about 4pm to pickup anything that I might have queued for that night.

If you record programs every day it'll probably find enough updates just from that.

jc508

Thanks - I will see if the Toppy has a similar feature.
JC

prl

Quote from: jc508 on March 23, 2011, 10:24:13 PM
Thanks - I will see if the Toppy has a similar feature.
JC
It does, but from what I've read, it doesn't work as nicely as on the Beyonwiz, because the Beyonwiz tries to do an EPG and recordings update with IceTV a minute or two after restarting. Topfields wait for some time before they do their first update. I'm not sure what the delay is, but it may be the full normal time between updates: 30 minutes for timers and 60 minutes for EPG, so you'll need a longer on time on a Topfield than on a Beyonwiz.

If your Topfield comes on regularly for recordings, you may not gain much by adding a timer like this. I have one on my DP-H1, because it is the backup PVR and doesn't record every day. The DP-Lite records something every day and keeps itself updated as far as I need it without any extra timers.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing