Interactive 3.0.0.16 does not work in Windows 7

Started by longbreak, January 18, 2011, 06:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbreak

My annual renewal is coming up shortly so I hope this gives me a bit of leverage to have this problem resolved.  ;)

I have tried several times to upgrade to version 3.0.0.16 just to get rid of the update nag but same result every time.

This version just doesn't open at all on Windows 7.

Each time I revert to version 3.0.0.10 but the update nag is till there. There must be a bug in version 3.0.0.16 if this is the case.

There are actually two areas where it does not work. Firstly it simply does not open and secondly it does not appear on the taskbar.

If I open the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons I see the IceTV there and the selection is correct ' show icon and notifications'.

prl

Wouldn't this be better in the Windows 7 part of the forum?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

longbreak

You are probably right Pete but I had this comment posted there with no response for some months now so hoping by putting it closer to the top of the food chain might have some action.

Eponymous

It works perfectly well on my Windows 7 machine.

longbreak

I have no doubt that the update may run on another computer but that must be a matter of luck rather than by design. To be sure I installed the update again and have gone back into Notification Area Icons and enabled all icons but it still is not on the taskbar. The other odd thing is that although IceTV Interactive is listed it does not have an icon.
Out of frustration I tried keeping a copy of the old IceTV.Interactive.exe file elsewhere and after another restart of the computer still nothing in the system tray so I locate the old file and double click to see what happens. It fails to launch.
Either way this is a bug as there is nothing wrong with my computer that would prevent this from running except something inherently corrupt with this latest version of IceTV.Interactive.exe.
I even completely uninstalled IceTV and deleted all registry items with antivirus turned off but still no joy. Stuck with old version and the update nag.

Eponymous

Why do you assume that my working install must work because of luck, as the software is "inherently corrupt" and there's "nothing wrong" with you computer.

Mine doesn't appear in the taskbar, but nor do I want it to.

What happens when you launch it from the Start menu? Do you at least get a splash screen?

longbreak

Your comments are much appreciated and my assumption of luck is correct as I accidently stumbled on the bug. The bug is that before you can run the new update all the files in C:\ProgramData\IceTV\Interactive\3.0 folder must be manually deleted but the install does not do this and there is no advice anywhere that this needs to be done.
It is just something I thought I would try to see if the new update was running in the background.
All is now working but this has been very frustrating. I have reported the problem to IceTV help and they may make an announcement. I am surprised that many Windows 7 users have not had the same problem. My trouble is that I am not physic. :(

Eponymous

Quote from: longbreak on January 24, 2011, 11:02:09 AM
Your comments are much appreciated and my assumption of luck is correct as I accidently stumbled on the bug. The bug is that before you can run the new update all the files in C:\ProgramData\IceTV\Interactive\3.0 folder must be manually deleted but the install does not do this and there is no advice anywhere that this needs to be done.
It is just something I thought I would try to see if the new update was running in the background.
All is now working but this has been very frustrating. I have reported the problem to IceTV help and they may make an announcement. I am surprised that many Windows 7 users have not had the same problem. My trouble is that I am not physic. :(
Fantastic, glad it's working. I didn't manually uninstall anything, just used the automatic update. I'll keep that in mind, though, if I have problems in the future.

so_bored8008

Genius! I had exactly the same problem! My icon was on the hidden icons part of the task bar, but when I right clicked it i got no options. Couldn't double click it, got no splash screen when opening interactive from the start menu.

I deleted everything in the C:\ProgramData\IceTV\Interactive\3.0 folder, reinstalled. Now when I right click on the task bar icon I get some options and can access the application through there.

Clearly something needs to be changed in the installer to clear these old files or just do something to fix this problem.