Scheduled Recordings not propogating EPG

Started by Shane, February 22, 2005, 08:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Not sure if this is just my issues or is widespread (hence the post).

When I do a guide update with quickguide I have noticed that my scheduled recordings (series) do not automatically propogate into the EPG (ie the red dots don't show). Sometimes I also notice that my scheduled programs (series) show that there are no upcoming episodes, even though the EPG says there are.

Anyone else notice this? And is there a fix?

Thanks,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

BJReplay

You might need this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6563dea6-fac0-4604-9418-f20640cc7a20&displaylang=en, which fixes the problems described here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888316

Also, you'll need to (at least) exit out of MCE after (and preferably before) updating using QuickGuide.  I've seen similar symptoms, but the shows do seem to record.

BJ

Shane

BJ,

Thanks - the patch mentioned is already installed.

Whilst I love Quickguide and what it does (makes MCE fantastic here in Aus) is there any way for Quickguide to update whilst MCE is running and have MCE act like it would if it was updating itself? ie, is there a step MCE does that Quickguide doesn't?

If not - when exiting MCE, do you mean shutting down all processes or just exiting MCE ? I'd love a way to make this automated.

Thanks,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

BJReplay

Hi Shane,

I'm sure there is a way to make MCE update it's guide information while it is running - MCE obviously uses it - but I don't know what it is, or whether it is exposed within the MCE libraries that I can see.

This question has been asked on the Green Button forums, and I haven't yet seen a good answer.

With the way quickguide tells MCE to reload it's guide data, MCE sees updated guide info simply by exiting from the MCE shell back to the desktop, and restarting the MCE shell.  No need to kill all MCE processes (though perhaps if MCE is recording this might not be true).

Best bet is if you can find a time when you know you don't want any recordings (say 3am), the schedule QuickGuide then with the /reboot parameter. Assuming you've got power management and autologon set, your PC will reboot, restart, then standby or hibernate after the timeout.  Next time you go into MCE, it's got the up to date guide info.

Other than that, I could probably send a message to MCE to exit, then restart, but if you're watching while that happens, you won't want that.  I'll have a look at adding a restart MCE shell switch to the next release.

BJ